E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2003, 01:50 PM   #1
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
To all Stealthbox users, here's a rear fill idea...

I've been going through some of the stealthbox related posts, and most people are concerned w/ the loss of the midbass/midrange in the rear deck for the purpose of "rear fill".

Now, people (including myself) have argued that rear fill is really unnecessary, because all we really want is a great front stage. Some people don't buy that argument, and are still concerned for their ocassional backseat passenger who will have to listen to bass and nothing else...

So here's my question/idea. For those of you w/ the HK system, the stealthboxes replace the round 6 1/2" woofers, but not the 6x9 original subs. Since the stealths replace these subs functionally, they become rather useless. So why not replace these speakers w/ a 2 or 3 way 6x9 speaker? This way stealthbox users can have some sort of midbass/midrange drivers in the rear...

For those of us who didn't opt for the HK system, I've read that while we don't have the actual speaker pods for the 6x9 subs, we DO have the template in the rear deck. All an installer would need to do is punch out the template and fabricate some speaker pods...

Has anyone done this? Am I smoking crack? Would this appease all of you looking for rear fill?

-Davin
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:50 PM   #2
spr0cket

My Ride: 325ci
Though after removing the steel blank, you'd then need to cut the relevant sized venting through the soundproofing, and also cut into the rear trim to allow the sound to play .... not sure how "stealth" the rear shelf would look after such a modification, going to attract all the wrong attention through the back window I would have thought ???
spr0cket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:10 PM   #3
drgalleg

That's true...

Yes, for those of us w/o the HK holes/pods already built in, we'd need to go through some additional fabrication. However, I'd assume you'd cover the new speakers w/ some additional speaker grills, so that in the end the rear deck would look similar to a factory HK equipped rear deck.

Could someone post pics of the HK equipped rear-deck?

Quote:
Originally posted by spr0cket
Though after removing the steel blank, you'd then need to cut the relevant sized venting through the soundproofing, and also cut into the rear trim to allow the sound to play .... not sure how "stealth" the rear shelf would look after such a modification, going to attract all the wrong attention through the back window I would have thought ???
Old 04-15-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
fonzer
E46 FANATIK

My Ride: '05 g35 6MT
heres a few i could take. if you need more, let me know

http://mail.roadfly.org/Session/88-O...e/DSC00027.jpg

http://mail.roadfly.org/Session/88-O...e/DSC00029.jpg

http://mail.roadfly.org/Session/88-O...e/DSC00030.jpg

http://mail.roadfly.org/Session/88-O...e/DSC00031.jpg
Old 04-16-2003, 09:01 AM   #5
drgalleg

It looks like those pics are hosted on a mail server that requires an account. I can't seem to access them.