E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires
Wheels and tires for your BMW. Stock and aftermarket wheels, tires, spacers, lug bolts, center caps, etc....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
SledgeHammer!

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Unhappy Friendly warning to 1st time wheel sellers...

Friendly word of advice to other 1st time wheel sellers on the board (from a 1st time wheel seller). DO NOT under estimate your S&H costs... expect to pay about $35 - $40 to ship a single wheel (a set of 4 is about $150). Don't forget other "incidentals" like large boxes if you don't have any are about $6+ each big enough to hold a 18" to 19" rim + padding. Crumpled up newspaper is free of course , bubble wrap on the other hand is ridiculously expensive. Also, don't forget you actually need to get 1 to 4 huge boxes to a shipper. For those that work: FedEx, UPS, etc require large windows in the middle of the day for you to be home for a pickup. If you don't have a buddy with a SUV or truck that'll take you and your boxes to a shipper, thats gonna be a big problem . And even if you do, expect to pony up beer and pizza .

And then theres ebay and/or paypal fees...

Anyways, just saying... REAL WORLD cost to ship a single wheel is at least $50 to $60+.

So for those selling 4 wheels for "$300 to $400 shipped"... if you don't have a local buyer, might as well throw them in the trash or dump them on the side of the freeway as you'll walk away with about a $100 or less .

P.S. these prices are without tires... if you are including tires... bump up the $$$ .

Not whining here... I made my deal and stuck with it... just warning others to think it through more clearly first .

Last edited by SledgeHammer!; 01-01-2008 at 07:34 PM.
SledgeHammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
AirFrcd

My Ride: Mfizzle, and GT-R
Very true. This is a reality check.
I recently shipped 4 wheels from San Jose to LA, and it cost me $220!
AirFrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
yup costed me 160 to ship 4 18"
Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
WhiteOut323i
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
Its ridiculous, but TRUE... shipping these things are NO JOKE... i hate it when people ask for quotes and you tell them 150-200 to ship across country and they BIT** about it and start assuming that you're trying to rip them off by bumping up the shipping charges... im thinking, ill send you the reciept if you want bud!!!

BUMP for a GREAT REALITY CHECK!!
WhiteOut323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
OnTheGreen

My Ride: 2001 325IT "Wagon"
Use Fedex. It is the cheapest. Get an online account, it's free and saves 10%

Boxes are free, you just need to know where to look for them. I get my tape at the swap meet. 5 rolls for $6.00 Packing material is free as well. Just hunt it down. Best place is behind a furniture store.

Last week I send a 18" wheel with no tire from San Diego to Virgina, it was $27.00 insured.

Never go to the USPS unless your item is under 1 pound.

With Fedex you can print the shipping form at home, attach to box and drop off at a Fedex Kinkos.

But yes, it can be expensive in some situations.

Good luck!
OnTheGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
SledgeHammer!

Nice working shipping an 18" wheel for $27 !...

I went to a few supermarkets looking for boxes yesterday, but none had any big enough or strong enough for a 19" rim which needs at least a 22" x 22" x 12" box for each wheel. I think I used 24"x24"x14.75" cuz thats the closest size they had. I guess you can go a bit smaller if you have better padding then newspaper or can find a more exact fit.

I didn't know about the online FedEx 10% discount... great tip for the future! I used DHL to ship my wheels, but they looked to be roughly the same price as other services and they were open today which was a plus for me, cuz I can't take time off of work for this .

I shipped 4 19" OEMs, I paid $36 a wheel... a bit more then you did for your 18" wheel which are obviously a bit lighter and smaller.

I originally bought the large bubble wrap ($14 a roll!), but returned it and used newspaper instead. Tape was no biggie... $4 to $6...

I didn't expect to pay $144 in shipping charges alone...

My itemized list is:

Shipping 4 19" OEM M3 wheels $144...
4 Boxes $24...
Tape $6...
Crumpled newspaper $0...
Paypal fees $28...

So yeah, I ate it a bit on the shipping, and a bit more on the boxes and a bit more on the paypal fees.

Unfortunately, as I said, NONE of the shippers would schedule a pickup with less then a 4hr window in the middle of the day. I certainly didn't expect this problem. I thought I could take 1 or 2 boxes at a time in my car. I couldn't even fit ONE in my car and I couldn't get the shippers pickup to work around my schedule. Only one of my friends has a car big enough for all 4 boxes (and knowing him, he would have wanted dinner + gas money and he wasn't around anyways). So I ended up eating another $20 on a pickup rental.

So, yeah, all told, my damage was about $220 as well .
Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
M3PowerPlay

My Ride: 2002 M3 - 1998 M3-4
Send a message via AIM to M3PowerPlay
Excellent advice!
M3PowerPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
SledgeHammer!

Actually, I guess what I should have done was just take my 4 rims unpacked in my car (the unpacked ones all fit), bought the boxes, used the online fed ex 10% discount and just packed the wheels in the parking lot. I probably would have looked like a dumbass doing that . But I would have saved $14 to $20 on the shipping, and $20 on the truck rental. Still only a savings of $40.

Last edited by SledgeHammer!; 01-01-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
antzcrashing

My Ride: 2006 330i
thanks for the heads up
Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
rocks
Likes Supermodels

My Ride: Psychedelic Machine
Cost me 200 to ship 4 19" wheels with tires through UPS from Miami to Long Island, NY. I was lucky though because the UPS girl liked me so she practically wrapped and boxed everything up free for me lol.
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
slixx1320

My Ride: AW ///M3
Send a message via AIM to slixx1320
Guess I'm going to keep this thread useful for future sales of my wheels. When they complain about it..i'll just forward them this post!!!

to the OP!
slixx1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
SledgeHammer!

One other word of warning... if you are selling used rims, you may have curb rash or whatever... you might think its a good idea to get the rims cleaned up by a rim repair place so you'll get more $$$ for them. BAD IDEA. They charge $100 to $150 a wheel. You'll never recoup that. At least I didn't do that, I was thinking about it actually .
Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #13
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
if your looking to get rid of curb rash DIY it with a good dremel kit and some multiple grits. i used to have a link to a site that gave step by step pics but i cant find it now. hopefully someone else will have it and post but ya i saved a truckload of $$$ fixing it myself and i didnt even have to remove the tire/rim off my car good stuff and hope this helps
mcr_driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #14
SledgeHammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
if your looking to get rid of curb rash DIY it with a good dremel kit and some multiple grits. i used to have a link to a site that gave step by step pics but i cant find it now. hopefully someone else will have it and post but ya i saved a truckload of $$$ fixing it myself and i didnt even have to remove the tire/rim off my car good stuff and hope this helps
I think I saw the DIY you are talking about. DIY works alright for painted wheels (with practice). On chrome or polished/clear coated rims... no chance for a newbie .
Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #15
OnTheGreen

My Ride: 2001 325IT "Wagon"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer! View Post
One other word of warning... if you are selling used rims, you may have curb rash or whatever... you might think its a good idea to get the rims cleaned up by a rim repair place so you'll get more $$$ for them. BAD IDEA. They charge $100 to $150 a wheel. You'll never recoup that. At least I didn't do that, I was thinking about it actually .
True there, sell as is. Its super hard to get your money back, unless they are expensive wheels. I found a set of RH 3.6 turbo wheels for $350 once, redid them and sold them for over $1000, but thats rare.

One thing I like to do is use mutiple smaller boxes to basically cover the wheel. The box does not need to fit the wheel exact and in some cases when the wheel is too big for the box, you have to use extra material to secure the wheel in the box. By wrapping the boxes around the wheel you usually end up with at least a few layers of cardboard around the wheel. As well as whatever is wrapped around them in the first place, bubble wrap, etc.

Find a place around where you live that sells counches. When sent from the manufacter, they are wrap in bubble wrap or other good packing material.

And good place to find wheel boxes is your local wheel sho. Discount tire has a trash bin in back that they toss the boxes in.

Another good money saver is when sending a wheel with a tire, there is no need to cover the rubber part. I make a circlular cutout of cardboard, put on on the inside, one on the outside and wrap the whole thing in tape. Use lots of tape. Like stated, it's cheap and really helps to secure a shipment.
OnTheGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #16
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Great thread and excellent follow up posts.

/Sticky'd
Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #17
koven

My Ride: 330Ci
Great thread!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
SledgeHammer!

Glad I shared this info then . Didn't want others to count $$$ without the crazy costs like I did. I guess a way to really cut down shipping costs is if you work for a place with a cool guy/gal in the shipping department. They'll for sure give you empty boxes lying around for free... packing material for 4 rims... don't know if they're that cool unless they have a bunch lying around. Most places I've worked at will let you use the company bulk shipping discount (unless you abuse it) which is probably more then the 10% online discount.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #19
fu98

My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
this is an inexpensive alternative to shipping wheels with tires....

from this post...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...70&postcount=4
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
mojo346

My Ride: bmw 2012 x5 turbo
fed ex sucks, DHL is cheaper and you can do all the same things and they are faster.