E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
MatthewLFD

My Ride: 550i 6spd + Corvette
R/C/R LED brake light problem

Well I just got done installing my LED R/C/R taillights and they look sick but I noticed when I press the brake pedal, the driver's side brake light comes on a fraction of a second quicker than the passenger's side. While it's not a HUGE deal, it does bug be enough to fix it.

I am currently waiting for resistors to fix the bulb out indicator, could this solve the problem?
MatthewLFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
it might. i haven't heard of this problem before though

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
monty13

My Ride: 1999 e46 323i
I just installed the exact same tail lights on Saturday, and I noticed the same thing. Please let me know if you find a fix for this problem.
monty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
MatthewLFD

^ Do you have the resistors installed yet?

Oh, and if you have the trunk lights, follow these instructions to dim them to match the running lights:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=535464
Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #5
monty13

^ I don't have the resistors installed yet -- thanks for the link to your post, that's great info.

I do have the trunk light LED's, but I don't have them hooked up yet. I see there is a red and black wire coming from the LED Circuit Board and going to a plug, but I didn't see anywhere to connect this plug to. I figured I'd have to tap into the license plate lights, but honestly I couldn't figure out how. What type of connector did you use to go from the license plate lights to the trunk light LEDs, and which wire did you tap into from the LED Circuit Board (red, or black)?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

BTW, these lights are awesome.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
MatthewLFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty13 View Post
^ I don't have the resistors installed yet -- thanks for the link to your post, that's great info.

I do have the trunk light LED's, but I don't have them hooked up yet. I see there is a red and black wire coming from the LED Circuit Board and going to a plug, but I didn't see anywhere to connect this plug to. I figured I'd have to tap into the license plate lights, but honestly I couldn't figure out how. What type of connector did you use to go from the license plate lights to the trunk light LEDs, and which wire did you tap into from the LED Circuit Board (red, or black)?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

BTW, these lights are awesome.

I tapped into the license plate lights for the LED trunk lights. They work great, but the only downside is that they flash every 60 seconds with the 'test' signal sent out by the LCU (only if the lights are switched to 'off'). I'm going to re-route the power wire to the rear tail lights instead since they don't do the 1 minute blink.

My trunk lights came with a bulb harness end on it...so I ran down to the junkyard and cut off a bulb carrier with a few inches of wire to install.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
monty13

^ Do you remember which wire is power and which wire is ground running to the license plate bulbs? I'm going to give it shot and see if I can hook up the trunk light LED's as you did.

Also, did you have any luck running the connections down to the tail lights vs. the license plate lights? I don't really see an easy way to do that without the wires showing.