E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
virsipe

My Ride: 2004 M3
Sumitomo HTR Z III

Has anyone tried the NEW Sumitomo HTR Z III- this is not the same tire as the prior generation Ultra Performance tire.

Tire Rack did a test and it beat the CSC3, RE50PP and Yokahama Advans.

Perhaps not a PS2 replacement, but for 1/2 the cost, perhaps it should be?

Any experience with it yet? It was only released recently, so there is very little data or experience with it. . .
virsipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:40 AM   #2
m3vinnie

My Ride: 03 m3
I have had them for two months now and I love them I used to have the ps2 then I went to the ps a/s those were am joke. These tires are great also there pretty good in the wet not like the ps2. love them, for the money you can't beat them.
m3vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
virsipe

I just ordered the Sumi's after talking hearing positive claims by M3 owners and other forum owners. I will report how they seem compared to the Conti's which the only tire I've had on the car. I stuck with stock sizes on 18".
Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Mainstray

My Ride: E92 M3 / Pathfinder
Send a message via AIM to Mainstray
I had these on my first set of CSls. I loved them!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
4drbeemer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Send a message via AIM to 4drbeemer
I have them on my ride right now. They perform great. I asked my mechanic he told me that they were the best tire for the price and they will last longer than the competition. I would recommend them to anyone.

4drbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Triflowm5+M3
Gear up, shut up!

My Ride: 2005 'Yota 4runner
Send a message via AIM to Triflowm5+M3
best tire on the market for the money...hands down.

second best...dunlop direzza Z1's.

Truth be told, I think I thrive under a lack of accountability[/SIZE]
Triflowm5+M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
TAILWAG

My Ride: 911EVT775 /Noble M12
Back in the days I tried the HTZR II's...they did really good but one thing that I noticed is that they were "narrower" than other tires EXACTLY the same size...I wonder if it is the same with the III's...
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
abg123

My Ride: 03 M3
Tire rack shows 19's priced at 233 a piece..not cheap
abg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
2000BEAST

My Ride: E55, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triflowm5+M3 View Post
best tire on the market for the money...hands down.

second best...dunlop direzza Z1's.

My experience with the Dunlop Direzzas were that they stuck like glue, but because the compund was so soft, they literally were gone at 9000 miles = bad mojo.

I am going to try Falken FK452, or the Sumitomos nrxt - leaning towards the brand new Falkens...
2000BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Triflowm5+M3
Gear up, shut up!

My Ride: 2005 'Yota 4runner
Send a message via AIM to Triflowm5+M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000BEAST View Post
My experience with the Dunlop Direzzas were that they stuck like glue, but because the compund was so soft, they literally were gone at 9000 miles = bad mojo.

I am going to try Falken FK452, or the Sumitomos nrxt - leaning towards the brand new Falkens...
tis to be expected from a tire with a wear rating of 200....9000miles is pretty good wear honestly.

The 452s are good but id go with the HTR ZIII's over them.

Truth be told, I think I thrive under a lack of accountability[/SIZE]
Triflowm5+M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
virsipe

Initial Impressions after three weeks

Initial Follow-up:

I got four set of stock-sized tires put on my car a little more than two weeks ago. Here are my initial impressions after putting 500 miles on the car. What makes my impressions a bit challenging is that I also pushed out the front end camber from -0.9 degress to -1.3 degrees at the same time, so the exact comparison to my prior tires is not quite perfect. However, here it goes:

1) Ride quality: Conti's provided a bit more "comfort" than the Sumi's which appear to be a bit more "bouncy" when hitting a bump. In other words, they are not quite as compliant as the contis over bumps. However, they communicate well and the additional firmness is in no way a negative compared to the Contis. I've also noticed that the tires have considerably less flex, so the face stays far more squared to the ground than the conti's which were rather soft on this attribute compared to other performance tires. So far, I would say they are both fine.

2) Noise: the contis were fine and so are the sumis. Interestingly, on smooth highways surfaces, the Sumi's are quieter than the contis a little, but are considerably noisier on concrete surfaces. Overall it is a wash.

3) Braking: hard to know the difference here without having exact measurements, but braking seems a bit better with the Sumis.

4) Turn-in response: this is where it is hard to draw a comparison since I am still wearing-in the current set of tires to the camber spec whereas the conti's were fully-worn in when I replaced them. I would guess based upon how the Sumi's are getting better and better each day that the turn in would be better than the conti's, but right now seems a bit worse. Not much worse, but a bit slower. I know for a fact that the tires are still wearing in as I can fell quite a bit of heat difference across the contact patch when I get off the freeway with the Sumis (much hotter on the inside). So for now, the Conti's turned in a bit sharper but like I said, I am pretty sure this will change over time.

5) ultimate grip: I do not have a g-meter to compare the two, but I do think that the Sumi's grip better - once you get them warmed-up. This may also have to do with my alignment, but I need to warm-up the Sumis a bit more before they really start to hold on. However, once they are warmed up, they definitely grip better than the conti's do. I've not test at the limit adhesion to see how it breaks away, but so far they seem stable well planted and forgiving at 8/10s. As far as traction from a stop light, the Sumi's are probably a bit better than the contis, but hard to say.

6) Wet performance: The sumi's are conisderably better than the contis ever were. The steering response, breaking, grip are all vastly better than the contis were even when the contis were new. Interestingly, this morning I did a u-turn in the rain and I got the front to understeer out and as it did, it made a totally different tire sound than I have ever heard from any tire- it sounds like a rubber surface sticking and slipping from a slick wet surface versus the typical just sound I have heard doing this in the past. In addition, the tires transmitted quite a bit more feel to the steering wheel while doing this indicating that the tires were trying hard to get grip and were able to do so a bit and than lose it- verus the normal sliding feel which I've experienced with all tires in the past. The Sumis win wet weather by a long shot.

So, the Sumi's are great so far, but I am waiting to break them fully in (1000 miles or more) before trying to write-up my final assessment. I want to be sure the tires have worn-in to the camber settings before knowing exactly how they compare.

The challenge has been the cold temperatures (30-55 degress) and rain that has been getting in the way in the Bay Area in the last few weeks.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
RanGer498

My Ride: M3 e46
dunlop and sumi are the same company

02 JB /on Black winters & Imola Red summers sMG///M3 Coupe, everything including custom audio system with Navi!
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <)
RanGer498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
bret131

My Ride: 2003 M3 LSB
i just got the HTR Z II about 3 weeks ago i ordered 275 35 18 over the stock ones. initially they are a lot more grippy in the dry weather but the other day i was going to pass a car and the roads were damp and when i down shifted in to 4th the traction control kicked in and the car felt like it was floating. i am not sure if this is because i just got the tires bc i have only put 300 miles on them. but other then that i like tires
bret131 is offline   Reply With Quote