E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 10:36 PM   #1
///M_TEEJ

My Ride: 05 MB E55, 03 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M_TEEJ Send a message via Yahoo to ///M_TEEJ
Anyone with XM on their rides?

How u like it? Considering one on my whip =)

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:38 PM   #2
Keeferno
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Yep, it's great. The only thing is I've heard the sirius lineup and I think I may prefer their channels. The number one thing I was after was good classic rock and it seems a little weak on the XM.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:45 PM   #3
E46ElitistPrick
Never Follow.

My Ride: 2006 Honda Ridgeline
Yeah.. XM's line-up and DJ's are kinda pathetic.. I've had it since they turned on the service in 01, and in the first 5 months I was hearing the same songs atleast 3 times a day on each channel.. its getting better, and I've heard from some friends high up in Tweeter corporate that Sirius may go under with lack of customers...

I do, however, enjoy channel 205 with Julie Ashton
Old 04-24-2003, 12:18 PM   #4
Skullme2

My Ride: 328iNinteenNintyNine
Send a message via AIM to Skullme2
Quote:
Originally posted by E46ElitistPrick
Yeah.. XM's line-up and DJ's are kinda pathetic.. I've had it since they turned on the service in 01, and in the first 5 months I was hearing the same songs atleast 3 times a day on each channel.. its getting better, and I've heard from some friends high up in Tweeter corporate that Sirius may go under with lack of customers...

What is the PlayBoy station all about?? Is it worth the extra 2.00 a month or whatever they charge for it???
Skullme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:20 PM   #5
E46ElitistPrick
Never Follow.

eh... sorta... if u've ever seen Night Calls on the Playboy channel, its a radio version of the show... kinda like howard stern with hotties talking about sex and sexuality... its funny to get a kick out of sometimes.. if you watch the scandelous shows on MTV and ever watch/listen to Howard Stern, check it out... its only $3 to try it for a month anyway
Old 04-24-2003, 01:39 PM   #6
grw

My Ride: m3
thumbs up

I like it. You can hear new bands/alternative music that is rarely played on FM. I like Fred, Ethel. Unsigned.
grw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
SGSMGM3

My Ride: 04 M3 now E60 M5
Send a message via AIM to SGSMGM3
Don't do it. Seems like a waste. Just listen to your cd's
Old 04-24-2003, 01:48 PM   #8
E46ElitistPrick
Never Follow.

i love it actually... there's enoguh diversity to keep me channel surfin and out of my CD case
Old 04-24-2003, 05:13 PM   #9
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
Sirius probably won't be going under anytime soon...

http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1035-991269.html

Quote:
Originally posted by E46ElitistPrick

drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:17 PM   #10
Throwin_Heat

My Ride: pinto
i love XM i have had it since it came out .. honestly nothing bad to say about it

get it !
Throwin_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:26 PM   #11
Gatsby

My Ride: 2003 330xi slushbox
That article brings up some servere problems with Sirius.

Quote:
Sirius has about 30,000 subscribers now, all paying a monthly fee for specially made radio receivers for cars or homes. Competitor XM said it had 201,500 subscribers as of the third quarter, with 350,000 expected by Dec. 31.
Its subscriber base is extremly small in comparison and your going to need customers to pay the bills.

Another intersting point is the stock price of Sirius.. 53 cents v. 9 Dollars... I wonder which might get delisted first.

Quote:
Originally posted by drgalleg
Sirius probably won't be going under anytime soon...

http://msnbc-cnet.com.com/2100-1035-991269.html

Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:04 AM   #12
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
I don't really want to hijack this thread like this, but in defense of Sirius, I believe its because of its late start and targeted market and partners.

Sirius has lined up nearly all of the major European luxury car makers as OEM providers of their radios, while XM seems to have more of the american manufacturers. From an asian standpoint, it looks split down the middle between them and XM.

With that said, once the luxury market starts providing the service w/ their cars, the chances of the customer continuing service w/ the satellite provider is greater due to the amount of disposable income. Of course the hope of all satellite providers is that it inevitably becomes just like regular cable tv - a commodity that nearly everyone in the country/world wants/needs to have. However, until that happens, satellite radio will continue to live inthe realm of the audio enthusiast and the gadget lovers.

Anyway - what I'm saying is that by choosing these specific partners, Sirius is probably in a better position in the long run - all they need to do is be able to survive long enough for their partners to get their acts together. Also, if it ever ends up where all car manufacturers will be forced to provide either service to their customers, then it will be features like no commercials and music variety/quality that should give Sirius the edge.

I'm not knocking XM at all, but wanted to point out that just because they currently have a greater customer base, doesn't mean Sirius is out of the picture.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatsby

Its subscriber base is extremly small in comparison and your going to need customers to pay the bills.

Another intersting point is the stock price of Sirius.. 53 cents v. 9 Dollars... I wonder which might get delisted first.

drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:28 AM   #13
Jeremy152
No longer a worker bee!

My Ride: 2001 Ti AG 330i
You're missing out.

I know I've written on this before, but I'm a strong believer in this alternate radio technology. SIRIUS radio is currently lagging in market share only because XM radio was first in the market. Sirius has no commercials and no static.

See my information I recently posted about fitting OEM SIRIUS compatible head units in the 3er's:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=78986

Sirius has also, as drgalleg pointed out, lined up major european car manufacturers as partners. It's not necessary to have a massive subscriber base if your primary revenue flow is generated from massive corporate accounts. Would you honestly mind tacking on another $12 to your lease if you could have a high quality uninterruptible digital music stream? I wouldn't in the least.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatsby

There is a very simple reason for the fluctuation in market share price. Timing of Entry into the market. Might I remind you that XMSR is about to (in the next two years) blow through some serious cash reserves. The satellites they launched (named Rock and Roll) were more than half way through their working life spans (7 or so) when initially purchased. Without the extensive terrestrial repeater network that Sirius has devised, unless XM can build their landbased network fast, XM will have quite a number of angry customers.

Satellite is doing for radio what Cable did for television. Case in point.

Quote:
Originally posted by SGSMGM3
Don't do it. Seems like a waste. Just listen to your cd's