E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 05:59 AM   #1
JetPilot

My Ride: M3
Prof Nav -> Non-H/K & H/K same head unit?

Hello all,

I have a question...

If I get the Prof Nav, that will function as my HU right? I do not want to get the H/K system as I am planning an upgrade anyway, but I want to keep the stock HU. The H/K system is basically just an amp/speakers upgrade right, I mean it doesn't upgrade the HU?

Also, if I don't get the H/K, I will need to do all the wiring from the HU to a new amp in the trunk and back to the speakers myself myself right?

And, if I don't get the H/K system will do I still get all the factory "holes (sorry, couldn't find a better word)" to put the speakers in?

Thanks!
JetPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:29 AM   #2
johnhab

My Ride: '02 330xi
Send a message via AIM to johnhab Send a message via Yahoo to johnhab
What do you mean by "prof"? Professional? The stock nav?

I have the Nav with HK, but I believe you're right, the headunits are the same, the only difference would be the amp in the trunk (more channels) and the additional speakers.

No, even with a non-HK, the amp will still be in the trunk, and thus you can tap into the factory harness in there as well. You won't have to run your own wires unless you want to add speakers in locations that don't come with the non-HK system.

Not sure about the holes, although I thought I've read that if you don't get the HK, the HK locations are pre-cut but not "punched out."

johnhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:36 AM   #3
JetPilot

Thanks for the info. Main reason I ask is that I am 100% sure I will do an audio upgrade, even if I get the H/K system. I want to know if it is a good or bad idea to get the H/K considering I will replace both the amp and all speakers if:

a) The head unit is the same or not (same)
b) Wires are in place (in place to the default front speaker locations if you get the stock system)
c) Holes are precut/punched out (not)

I will most likely let a shop do the installation. Maybe getting the H/K system will cut a significant hole in installation time, thus installation will be cheaper....

ps:
Prof = Professional, this is the nav system with the color screen. There is also a nav system with a tiny screen that just displays the directional arrows, no map. Not sure if that is an option on ther US models.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: 2.8-M52TU'ed Vert
yes you can add everything you want to the stock nav-tv sys.
.... there are some sort of stock amplifier in the trunk (under the navi computer... left side of the trunk)... you can easily add ampli&speaker only using a line converter (to create a RCA output from the stock wire.....

...just a question: do you swap from radio navigation (the navi with the "arrows") to nav tv???or just install it
Old 04-24-2003, 07:11 AM   #5
JetPilot

do you swap from radio navigation (the navi with the "arrows") to nav tv???or just install it

Not sure what you mean. I will get the color screen navigation on my new order, I'm not trying to retrofit. Just trying to find out if I should order the H/K system even if I will upgrade that anyway straight after delivery. But I guess I will not order the H/K system to save me some money that I can put into the upgrade...
Old 04-24-2003, 01:54 PM   #6
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

i meant retrofit...........

my 2 cents........ save money and upgrade your existing speaker.....
Old 04-24-2003, 02:23 PM   #7
Jeremy152
No longer a worker bee!

My Ride: 2001 Ti AG 330i
Don't waste your time with H/k. It's not a dropdead gorgeous system by any means. It's a simple upgrade that will not perform well when pushed. If you're not looking for gutwrenching bass, this will do just fine.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:40 PM   #8
JetPilot

Actually I have the H/K system on my 320Ci now and I never really liked it. That is whyy I will definitely upgrade when I get the M3. I'm looking for an answer if getting the H/K system would make upgrading more easy as opposed to getting the standard 6 speaker system. If the head unit would be *better* with the H/K system for instance, I would get it as I want to keep the head unit and just replace the amp/speakers. Also installation would be easier as the wires are in place and the "holes" are already pre-cut and such. But does that weigh up against the $$$ the H/K upgrade costs??? I don't know.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:16 PM   #9
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

def. HK system is for middle aged german people that love to listem Bach at a quarter of the entire volume.....while they're driving into the slowest side of "die autobahn"....with their wives on the passenger side....and obviously their 3 children on the back seats.........

ja ja ja