E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2002, 05:57 AM   #1
blue_bimma
E46

My Ride: BMW
C&D Comparison: Acura 3.2 CL-S Vs. BMW 330CI

The latest Car and Driver (July 2002) has a comparison test between the Acura 3.2 CL Type-S Vs. BMW 330CI. The Acura has 260 bhp/232lb-ft with a 6 speed man. tranny. That may seem like it should blow away the 225bhp/214lb-ft 5 speed 330CI. But in the end, it marks another victory for the Bavarian Motor Works.

Here are some direct quotes from the article:

"This is gettig as tiresome for us as it is for you-another notch in BMW's gun following one of our comparison tests. But what do we do? We drive'em. We test'em. We report. We decide. We puzzle over how these Bavarians keep machines in their 3- and 5- series stables on top of the heap. But the gap steadily narrows, and it may be only a matter of time before the king is dethroned. When and if that happens, you'll be the first to know."

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:23 AM   #2
core
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 ///M3
acura doesnt make manual trannys - except for the RSX

core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 07:06 AM   #3
mc
I've got what plants crave.

My Ride: S.S. Inevitable
hey donkey dick

Quote:
Originally posted by ac325ci
They've been offering it in the CL for months. Haven't you seen that commercial of the couple who goes to look at a house they're thinking about buying and the guy looks back down the mountain at the road he just drove up (drooling), and turns and around and without even looking at the house says, "We'll take it."?
mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:11 PM   #4
blue_bimma
E46

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally posted by ac325ci
i drove the 6 speed CL. it is a very sweet car! Thats the ONLY acura that I would ever buy.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:13 PM   #5
David328Ci
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch

My Ride: Pimpin '99 Sentra X(
Send a message via AIM to David328Ci
Being a former gen 1 CL driver I don't want to own another CL or Acura again.
David328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 04:55 PM   #6
mcabr
Just Marinatin'

My Ride: Chikatetsu
I almost got a cl

I was looking at the Acura 3.2 CL S before I drove the bmw. I never went back to the Acura dealership after I felt the difference between the two. Doesn't that little thing like RSX or something have a 6 speed tranny? So there are atleast 3 or 4 ac's that have manual what the red coupe guy talking about?
Old 06-10-2002, 11:55 AM   #7
Jano

My Ride: 2001 330i
Anyone else notice that the 330 had clears? Or do the 02's come standard that way?
Jano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 11:59 AM   #8
DropTopBM
Banned

Location: Im from where the hammers rung, news cameras never come, throw the work in the can and scream "runnn"
My Ride: Hamann 3
Send a message via AIM to DropTopBM
The Acura CL is a hott car... They are fast as hell, especially the Type S 6speed... I would defenetely get a CL, and even the TL.... My cousin has a white TL with a body kit and rims and stuff... its really fast and looks sick... You cant go wrong with either one... but the 6speed must be so much fun to drive
DropTopBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 12:21 PM   #9
Ed328ci
Too many rock chips!

My Ride: E90 325i
Send a message via MSN to Ed328ci Send a message via Yahoo to Ed328ci
The CL-S is a great car that's hamper by it's very plain Jane looks. Acura dealers here are very snobby. They wouldn't give my wife and I the time of the day.

Ed

Last edited by Ed328ci; 06-10-2002 at 03:22 PM.
Ed328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 01:30 PM   #10
brandonlowe
You can have your E9X

My Ride: 04 Denali XL ; 04 M3
I HAD A 2001 CL type s auto

and i don't car if they put 7 manual gears in it,nobody will look at it the way they do my bmw.i even had ssrgt3 wheels on my acura and i am much happier with the fun factor.now,that car rides better on long trips and is quieter ,but overall there is no contest.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:42 PM   #11
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
I test drove the CL-S 6 speed, and after looking at the price, all I can say is WOW!!!

The car is fast, handles damn good for a FWD, and you get sooo much for 29k. It's hard to beat a car in the same price range.

However, it is no BMW. There's something in the way a BMW drives, and I have yet to find a car that matches the feeling.

rice aside, I still like my 330i better, but for those who are price conscious (msrp and maitenance-wise), the CLS is a good choice. You guys should test drive one for the hell of it.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote