E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #21
ice330ci05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,667
My Ride: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
He has an auto, his first gear ratio is completely different, and I think his 5th is overdrive, unlike ours.

Do you have schrick cams?

My car is ~3300 and runs a 13.689@100.01 w/ a 1.8 60', and a 8.8 1/8th
wow, thats one hell of a lounch there !!

no cams or headers on my car... only what i have in my sign...

how did you get 13.6 ? u have a s/c or ur NA?
__________________
ice330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #22
dubplaya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: in a house
Posts: 6,084
My Ride: a car
Send a message via AIM to dubplaya
Get some headers and cams.

Shady and I put our cars head to head several times
(my Getta ran a consistent 14.3) and she would either beat me by a small amount or run even with me
__________________
dubplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #23
kpeng
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 25,675
My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplaya View Post
Get some headers and cams.

Shady and I put our cars head to head several times
(my Getta ran a consistent 14.3) and she would either beat me by a small amount or run even with me
I'm really contemplating the headers, but I don't want it to drone like crazy.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
dubplaya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: in a house
Posts: 6,084
My Ride: a car
Send a message via AIM to dubplaya
decent muffler and a resonator should keep the drone down.
__________________
dubplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #25
kpeng
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 25,675
My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplaya View Post
decent muffler and a resonator should keep the drone down.
I've got a Magnaflow muffler laying around here somewhere. You think if I put that in with a small resonator it'd be ok?
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #26
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 2,185
My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice330ci05 View Post
wow, thats one hell of a lounch there !!

no cams or headers on my car... only what i have in my sign...

how did you get 13.6 ? u have a s/c or ur NA?
I'm NA with cams and hedders, 3.38, i was running cheapie sumitomo's at the time as well. Right now my car is outfitted with 255/40r17 azenis 615s, paired with a LSD, I'm hoping for a 1.7 60'. I also just took some weight out of the car, and my weight reduction must continue. All i have is 16lbs wheels, 'lum e46 m3 hood, carbon csl deck lid. Now I also replaced the driver's seat. I'm eventually going to start tearing things off at an accelerated rate.
__________________

__________________
2001 330ci TT turbo
e46nonm.com | TechniqueTuning.com | Precision-Sport.com
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #27
malina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: S.FL
Posts: 757
My Ride: stock ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
i was running cheapie sumitomo's at the time as well.
You must be a super-dooper launch master to manage a 1.8 60' with sumitomos and ran 13.6@100.01

I remember having those tires was a nightmare. No traction in 1 & 2nd gears on a regular highway, not talking about awful drag strip surface prep on Moroso track.
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #28
TiAgTouring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 1,580
My Ride: has a D-Pillar
Here are the Specs on a stock 330i with the Steptronic

Road and Tracked clocked one 0-60 at 6.5, and 15.0 @ 94.0 for the 1/4

Given they are damn good drivers...Id say 15.4 for a tuned 330i isn't bad at all...

Just swap your engine for a 335i's, get a Vishnu V2 ECU, then youll be able to rock...
__________________
323iT FOR SALE:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...5#post16244055


323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #29
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 2,185
My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanTouring View Post
Just swap your engine for a 335i's, get a Vishnu V2 ECU, then youll be able to rock...
I vote you do it first, before anyone else... pioneer my friend, pioneer

Or just save your money and time and purchase the far more capable 135i
__________________

__________________
2001 330ci TT turbo
e46nonm.com | TechniqueTuning.com | Precision-Sport.com
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #30
ice330ci05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,667
My Ride: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by malina View Post
You must be a super-dooper launch master to manage a 1.8 60' with sumitomos and ran 13.6@100.01

i know... thats crazy, i always feel bad for the car(clutch) when i lounch, so i don't push it that much, i dunno what it is, i just feel all bad inside and stuff when i'm about to do it lol..... but one time i did it a bit i got my 13.9 run so i was happy and left lol....


by the way, how do u guys clean out all that rubber off your rear bumper, i had soooo much the last time i went and i still have it on the car lol, well it's stored for the winter so when i take it out in few months i'll finish cleaning it, it shouldn't **** up the pait or anything right?
__________________
ice330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #31
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 2,185
My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice330ci05 View Post
i know... thats crazy, i always feel bad for the car(clutch) when i lounch, so i don't push it that much, i dunno what it is, i just feel all bad inside and stuff when i'm about to do it lol..... but one time i did it a bit i got my 13.9 run so i was happy and left lol....


by the way, how do u guys clean out all that rubber off your rear bumper, i had soooo much the last time i went and i still have it on the car lol, well it's stored for the winter so when i take it out in few months i'll finish cleaning it, it shouldn't **** up the pait or anything right?
LOLLERCAUST!
I destroyed someone's wash mitt trying to clean that off


...my run, those were sumitomo's 255/40r17, ~-2.5 rear camber, 457lbs linear springs, pss9 shocks...the 1.89 was on a 13.7@100.01

I'm a little proud, to say the least
__________________

__________________
2001 330ci TT turbo
e46nonm.com | TechniqueTuning.com | Precision-Sport.com
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #32
FISHTAILN5OH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Plata, MD
Posts: 197
My Ride: 330i, 03 Cobra
Well, I'm new here, but I've been going to the drags for years. First of all, they make some tape you can put on your rear bumper so that you don't have to worry about getting rubber on the paint. Forget what it's called though, looks like painters tape, it's blue, and won't hurt your paint. Heck you might even be able to use painters tape...I just never have. I usually wash the car as soon as I get home, and remove any rubber with a claybar.

As for dropping your times...weight is your enemy. The easiest way to go faster, is to go lighter. Obviously, you aren't going to want to start stripping the interior or anything just to post a better time, but if you are running with the wheels in your sig pic I'd bet those are costing you. If I were you, my next mod would be a set of drag wheels. Get some light wheels, smallest diameter you can fit on the car. Put some DR's on the rear, and skinnies on the front. Reducing the rotating mass up front will help shave your times...I've seen people drop as much as half a second with a set of welds.

Icing your intake, and short belting the car can help lower times too. It all depends on how badly you want to drop the time. Usually people do that kind of stuff when they are on the cusp of dropping down into the next full second range (ie, from a 14.00 to a 13.99) etc. Other things to keep in mind...dont run with a full tank, a little less than 1/2 a tank should be fine. I often go with 1/4 tank or less, but the fuel in the tank does help keep the pumps cool so keep that in mind.

I'm tempted to run the 330 a the club track rental this may, but as it's my DD I'm a little concerned about breaking something. I think I'll probably just end up running the cobra or the focus, even though the cobra trans is now in need of a rebuild.
FISHTAILN5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #33
FISHTAILN5OH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Plata, MD
Posts: 197
My Ride: 330i, 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
LOLLERCAUST!
I destroyed someone's wash mitt trying to clean that off

...my run, those were sumitomo's 255/40r17, ~-2.5 rear camber, 457lbs linear springs, pss9 shocks...the 1.89 was on a 13.7@100.01

I'm a little proud, to say the least
That's a nice run..what do you have done? I'd be happy if my DD could cut a 13...of course, I also said I'd leave my first cobra stock...and then that I wouldn't touch the second one...

Do they have therapy for people with the mod bug?
FISHTAILN5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #34
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,957
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTAILN5OH View Post
I'm tempted to run the 330 a the club track rental this may, but as it's my DD I'm a little concerned about breaking something. I think I'll probably just end up running the cobra or the focus, even though the cobra trans is now in need of a rebuild.
The 330 in stock form is almost industructible at the drag strip. I ran over 20 passes with mine in about 2 hrs.

The only time I've heard of transmission issues with this trans is when it's fed over 800 hp. (Same tranny as the E36 M3)

My stock clutch lasted more than 60k, (Including drag, and autocross use) and it looked fine when I removed it to upgrade the flywheel.

I've never heard of a diff failure on a 330 at the strip.

Run it and post your times!
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #35
kpeng
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 25,675
My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Thanks for the tips FISHTAILN5OH.

I don't think I want to go THAT hardcore and get drag radials, etc. I was going to run the car tonight now that I have headers, but there was a ton of cars out as it was the first Test & Tune night after Gatornationals.

I'll report back sometime next week.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #36
FISHTAILN5OH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Plata, MD
Posts: 197
My Ride: 330i, 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Thanks for the tips FISHTAILN5OH.

I don't think I want to go THAT hardcore and get drag radials, etc. I was going to run the car tonight now that I have headers, but there was a ton of cars out as it was the first Test & Tune night after Gatornationals.

I'll report back sometime next week.
Well, if nothing else a light set of wheels(or even just a stock set with DR's) will save your street tires...
FISHTAILN5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #37
FISHTAILN5OH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Plata, MD
Posts: 197
My Ride: 330i, 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
The 330 in stock form is almost industructible at the drag strip. I ran over 20 passes with mine in about 2 hrs.

The only time I've heard of transmission issues with this trans is when it's fed over 800 hp. (Same tranny as the E36 M3)

My stock clutch lasted more than 60k, (Including drag, and autocross use) and it looked fine when I removed it to upgrade the flywheel.

I've never heard of a diff failure on a 330 at the strip.

Run it and post your times!

Hmm...tempting. I may have to give it a shot just for the hell of it. I'll probably run the cobra at the May rental just because I want to get a full pass out of the car..
FISHTAILN5OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #38
downwithbrown7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fayetteville N.C.
Posts: 500
My Ride: BMW M3 Droptop
i have a m3 vert with 103k miles i went to the drag strip yesterday and my fastest time was a 14.007 i didnt think that was bad considering i could not take off properly ( the track was slippery)
the time i did do a aggressive launch i spun through first and halfway through second and got a 15.6.
given that the track was as slippery as it was i figured i could get into 13.8-9 range. my car stock was 13.7s at 104mph
60-2.197
330-6.021
1/8-9.167
mph-78.86
1000-11.831
1/4-14.007
mph- 100.11

if you can keep your car better than stock (new) id say that would be an achievement congrats you did over.4 seconds better i did about .3 seconds worse.
__________________
downwithbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #39
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Wow I don't have my time slip in front of me but my best time is 14.3/96mph this is before my headers
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #40
e46techtuner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 716
My Ride: 2000 328i
I ran my 2000 328i manual, at the drag strip back in 2004 when it was stock with full interior. I had my full size spare removed (50lbs) and floor mats. Had 225/45/17 tires (360 treadwear) on it at the time and ran a 15.4 at 92mph in 100 degree weather.

Im curious to see what it would run now...
__________________
e46techtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use