E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #21
bikergeek

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I'm going to be replacing the oil level sensor on my '02 coupe in not too long, along with an oil change. How tough is that reinforcement plate to remove? Looks like it has to come off to get at the sensor.

Also, my Bentley manual says that the bolts securing it should be replaced every time they're removed, because they're "use once" fasteners. Anybody know offhand what size and grade they are, so I can get replacements before starting the job?

Thanks in advance.
bikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #22
bikergeek

I'm going to be replacing the oil level sensor on my '02 coupe in not too long, along with an oil change. How tough is the reinforcement plate to remove? Looks like it has to come off to get at the sensor.

Can one do this on ramps, or do you need jackstands for this? I prefer to use ramps for stuff where the wheels don't have to come off, but I note that the Bentley manual says not to drive the car without the reinforcement plate installed, so I'm a little worried about keeping weight on the wheels while removing the plate.

Also, my Bentley manual says that the bolts securing it should be replaced every time they're removed, because they're "use once" fasteners. Anybody know offhand what size and grade they are, so I can get replacements before starting the job?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #23
EurosportAMG

My Ride: bm mb
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergeek View Post
I'm going to be replacing the oil level sensor on my '02 coupe in not too long, along with an oil change. How tough is the reinforcement plate to remove? Looks like it has to come off to get at the sensor.

Can one do this on ramps, or do you need jackstands for this? I prefer to use ramps for stuff where the wheels don't have to come off, but I note that the Bentley manual says not to drive the car without the reinforcement plate installed, so I'm a little worried about keeping weight on the wheels while removing the plate.

Thanks in advance.
yes you can do it on ramps no problem just wear some dirty clothes while you're at it, lots of dust/sand or road debris down there when you take off the skid plate mostlikely you'll hold it on your chest which is fine it's not heavy.
as far as the fasteners, i don't think you have to change them, but here's the part numbers just in case
HEX NUT BM6-8-ZNNIV SI quantity: 3 part # 07129905411
EurosportAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #24
bikergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EurosportAMG View Post
yes you can do it on ramps no problem just wear some dirty clothes while you're at it, lots of dust/sand or road debris down there when you take off the skid plate mostlikely you'll hold it on your chest which is fine it's not heavy.
Did it this afternoon. Combined it with an oil and filter change. Put the car up on jackstands. And I'm pretty used to climbing around under cars--I have a grubby old pair of jeans and a sweatshirt I use for the purpose.

Biggest problem was torquing the fasteners back down for that plate--was a *real* pain to turn the rear ones the required 90+30 degrees, even with a two-foot breaker bar. They're recessed, and in at an angle, so it's not easy to apply the amount of torque they require.

Quote:
as far as the fasteners, i don't think you have to change them,
I was referring to the bolts securing the reinforcement plate; sorry if that wasn't clear. And yes, I did buy eight new ones of those from the dealership.

It's really kinda weird that the E90 has no dipstick and just uses the level sensor. I guess you end up overfilling it when the sensor burns out? Kinda reminds me of that apocryphal story about NASA and the USSR's space agency, whose name escapes me at the moment. NASA spent millions of dollars researching a pen that didn't rely on gravity for ink feed, so the astronauts could write in space in zero gravity. The Russians just issued their cosmonauts a pencil. Moral: don't overthink things.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:12 AM   #25
EurosportAMG

My Ride: bm mb
Quote:
I was referring to the bolts securing the reinforcement plate; sorry if that wasn't clear. And yes, I did buy eight new ones of those from the dealership.
ooh those bolts, to tell you the truth, i had no idea about them, been taking that darn plate off about 10 times so far and still using original bolts, they seem to work ok still

Quote:
Biggest problem was torquing the fasteners back down for that plate--was a *real* pain to turn the rear ones the required 90+30 degrees, even with a two-foot breaker bar. They're recessed, and in at an angle, so it's not easy to apply the amount of torque they require.
what works for me is i use a short maybe 3inch extention with the socket and tighten them by hand using that, fits pretty good in those recessed holes, then i slap on a ratchet...

that NASA thing is funny, i remember that story
i couldn't do the no dipstick thing, i'm really not liking the way some newer car designs go, and it's not just bmw, mercedes is the same going away from the dipstick relying on a stupid sensor.
EurosportAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #26
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Hey guys, when doing this did u guys buy a new oilpan gasket too, or is the one on there fine to re-use?

What's the oil sensor part#, and gasket, if needed.

Sorry I'm postong from my phone and it just would take forever to find it.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #27
bikergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Hey guys, when doing this did u guys buy a new oilpan gasket too, or is the one on there fine to re-use?

The sensor I bought came complete with a new gasket, but I'd buy a new gasket if the sensor I bought didn't come with one.

www.realoem.com should have part numbers--not sure if they're different year-to-year.

For a 2002 330Ci--my car--the part numbers are:
Oil level sensor: 12617508003 (no indication that it comes with a new gasket)
Gasket: 12611744292

Yours may be different. Also, ask the parts person whether the sensor you order comes with a new gasket--no sense in ordering an extra gasket you don't need.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #28
Snik
OEM ///Member

Ok, cool.
Ill have a looksee when I get home in the morn.

I know a guy that knows a guy. So I should be able to get it cheaper than normal.

Also, I was thinking. Are these replacement sensors an upgraded better one, or will they be doing the same as the original one in a couple thousand miles or so?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #29
bikergeek

Unless someone knows better, I would suspect they're identical to OEM.

It seems that one thing that often leads to failure is draining the oil with the key turned on. The sensor was not meant to be entirely dry. Draining the sump with the sensor powered up burns out the sensor.

Reading the threads on this board, I do note that a suspicious number of these sensors fail soon after someone has an oil change performed somewhere.

I really feel bad for E90 owners who don't have a dipstick as a backup.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #30
Snik
OEM ///Member

Hahha, yeah, that's a scary though.

Ill be sure to remember that when changing oil in the future.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #31
NiceRideENT

My Ride: 01 330Ci - Step
Quote:

Sorry I'm postong from my phone and it just would take forever to find it.
You are not dropping the oil pan for this. So you wouldn't need the oilpan gasket.

And the sensor will come with it own gasket.

Right guys?

I am going to do mine on my next oil change too.
NiceRideENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #32
DesertMotorWorks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2004 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrSurfer330Ci View Post
You are not dropping the oil pan for this. So you wouldn't need the oilpan gasket.

And the sensor will come with it own gasket.

Right guys?

I am going to do mine on my next oil change too.

Oil Level Sensor comes with it's own gasket

If anyone needs an Oil Level Sensor, I have them in stock!

DesertMotorWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #33
kyle808

My Ride: 00 328CI
What happens if you don't care about the yellow oil light and decide not to change the sensor? Will you mess up anything in the long run?

"I'm gonna die! Jesus, Allah, Buddha - I love you all!
-Homer Simpson
kyle808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #34
DesertMotorWorks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle808 View Post
What happens if you don't care about the yellow oil light and decide not to change the sensor? Will you mess up anything in the long run?
If you check your oil frequently (weekly), and can live with the light, then you'll be alright. But my word is no guarantee, so to each his own
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #35
Snik
OEM ///Member

how much do u sell the sensor for duder?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #36
goyongj

My Ride: 02 325ci
what does it do?
I don't have to use dipstick??

NY->Salt Lake City within 48 hours
goyongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #37
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyongj View Post
what does it do?
I don't have to use dipstick??
it keeps tabs on the oil level while your rolling down the road since u cant check the dipstick while moving.
there is also one for oil pressure too.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #38
DesertMotorWorks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
it keeps tabs on the oil level while your rolling down the road since u cant check the dipstick while moving.
there is also one for oil pressure too.
+1
Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #39
goyongj

My Ride: 02 325ci
so it's not something that shows oil level on the cluster?

NY->Salt Lake City within 48 hours
goyongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #40
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyongj View Post
so it's not something that shows oil level on the cluster?
in a sense. Oil level is low, light comes on, lets you know to tap up so u dont damage anything.