E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #21
jstretch

My Ride: 2001 330i
Thanks white46. I assume no wiring harness was needed? Pretty much plug and play?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #22
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
yes. plug and play.
only thing you will need it antenna adapter if you want to listen radio.

if you want to use aux input, you might want to try to make one for yourself.
here is the link to make aux input cable that i did.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422239

Last edited by white46; 11-24-2006 at 12:08 PM.
white46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #23
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
i just changed from 99 to 2006Feb HU without antenna adapter and everthing works fine except no radio signal. and keyless entry system works good.
Without the antenna adapter or amplifier? If the adapter wasn't installed - you receive any stations.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #24
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Without the antenna adapter or amplifier? If the adapter wasn't installed - you receive any stations.
i cant fathom why he didnt install a $20 adapter to listen to the raido when he went to the trouble of replacing the radio
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #25
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
i cant fathom why he didnt install a $20 adapter to listen to the raido when he went to the trouble of replacing the radio
oh. i did. just a day after.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #26
fonseca_323i

My Ride: orient blue 323i
Great write-up Steve. I just completed this installation and it only took about 15-20 minutes. As you had explained the bottom torx screw is very difficult to get to. My stubby torx screw driver still wasn't able to get to it because of the angle so i thought i would share how i was finally able to get the bottom torx screw out. I took the torx bit off of my screw driver and used it with a socket wrench to get the top screw off. The socket wouldn't work on the bottom screw so I used the torx bit with a wrench as can be seen in the photos below.

Thanks again Steve for the solution to the crappy reception and also for the write-up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN2503.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	208526   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN2504.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	208527   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN2505.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	208528  
Old 12-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #27
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca_323i View Post
Great write-up Steve. I just completed this installation and it only took about 15-20 minutes. As you had explained the bottom torx screw is very difficult to get to. My stubby torx screw driver still wasn't able to get to it because of the angle so i thought i would share how i was finally able to get the bottom torx screw out. I took the torx bit off of my screw driver and used it with a socket wrench to get the top screw off. The socket wouldn't work on the bottom screw so I used the torx bit with a wrench as can be seen in the photos below.

Thanks again Steve for the solution to the crappy reception and also for the write-up!
Glad you got it working! Where did you get the antenna amplifier btw? Were you lucky (as I was) to find a used one that had the same frequency?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #28
fonseca_323i

My Ride: orient blue 323i
no, i was unable to find a used one so i ordered a new one from pelican parts. i think the total with shipping was $202.00.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #29
Limited_Slip
Banned

My Ride: e30
I had a hard time removing my c-pillar because the damn light won't come off no matter how hard I pry it. Therefore, I was unable to determine the freq. luckily, on the back of my keys, I noticed that the freq was also stamp on there.

any tips on how to remove the light. am I the only one that can;t remove the reading lights on the c-pillar?
Limited_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #30
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited_Slip View Post
I had a hard time removing my c-pillar because the damn light won't come off no matter how hard I pry it. Therefore, I was unable to determine the freq. luckily, on the back of my keys, I noticed that the freq was also stamp on there.

any tips on how to remove the light. am I the only one that can;t remove the reading lights on the c-pillar?

I think you just pry it out with a screw driver
Old 04-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #31
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Damn, how did I miss this thread? Great job!

I did the radio change but not the antenna amp with the reception loss, but decided it was a fair tradeoff for the added features. Antenna amps are in the $600CDN range up here. Also I found the reception pretty much cuts out completely when the radio is turned on manually (with the car off). I think this is because the amp (in the older cars) is ignition-powered instead of live/remote.

Also the radio I removed (tape) was Alpine built, not Blaupunkt. I think only the CD players were Blaupunkt.

For those with general poor AM reception, it sometimes can be the coax connector at the amp. If you back it off then retighten, it might fix the problem.

Thanks again for posting the DIY.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #32
Canuck328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited_Slip View Post

I've read that some of them have a screw in the light fixture. You may have to try to remove the lens and remove the screw.

Mark
Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #33
Limited_Slip
Banned

bought the amp from tischer BMW for $150!! best prices around!

again, thanks to Steve (aka SNA77) for such an amazing thread. we need more people like him who actually contributes to the community instead of just making ghey thread on their new lips, rims, or radio.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #34
Marlin311
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 328ci
Excellent Writeup!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #35
Limited_Slip
Banned

Did the DIY a few days ago. Radio reception is amazing! thanks Steve.

I bought the amp from Tischer for around $140-150. great DIY
Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #36
Phastlane

My Ride: 2005 M3 Conv SMG
Help! Does anyone know the location of the Antenna Amplifier in an e46 M3 Convertible?

I need to find mine for another project, but of course, I do not have a C-pillar.

I pulled the carpet around the cd changer and removed the back seat, but I cannot find it.

Anyone know?
Phastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 AM   #37
Canuck328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phastlane View Post
Help! Does anyone know the location of the Antenna Amplifier in an e46 M3 Convertible?

I need to find mine for another project, but of course, I do not have a C-pillar.

I pulled the carpet around the cd changer and removed the back seat, but I cannot find it.

Anyone know?

According to RealOEM, it's in the trunk left side panel:

And just in case you need the audio amp, it is in the interior rear side panel:

Mark
Old 12-17-2007, 06:20 AM   #38
mit

My Ride: 00 325Ci Convertible
Wow, I searched and searched for this information and even misunderstood some of it myself based on what I read in the Bentley manual - great post!

I just ordered the adapter cable for now. I don't listen to AM at all but I still want it to work, but I'll see how I go before spending 150 on a new amplifier!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #39
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch06 View Post
I had very bad reception on AM radio (ball games when living in LA) and then I took off the pillar cover next to the rear winshield driver side and tightened the antenna connector. It has been great ever since. 2001 325i with business radio
sounds like i'll try this, does anyone have a DIY for this?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #40
RJSe46m3

My Ride: 2001 M3
i realize this is like months later on this thread, but of opposed to replacing the antenna amplifier for $200ish, could you not simple attach the extra wire for the antenna amp to a 12v switched source such as the white wire in the radio harness? I would think that would then turn on the 99-01 antenna adapter. My understanding was that the "extra" wire was to simply send a signal to turn it on when you switched from cd or mode over to the radio function.
RJSe46m3 is offline   Reply With Quote