E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
cossie222

My Ride: BMW 316i SE
E46 Oil Leak......

hi new on here......leak from oil filter housing,anyone had the same problem ?
cossie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
bobbydole

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Where on the housing is it leaking? The screw-on cap? Do you have the rubber ring installed on the cap?
bobbydole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
cossie222

My Ride: BMW 316i SE
update...

no not from the plastic cover but from the alloy housing that bolts on......meant to add that its a 2001 ,1.8 full dealer service history, i,m the second owner and its done 47,000 miles..thanks
cossie222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
dgeMd

My Ride: e46/e90/SpeedTriple
Possible but unlikely. Even if you see oil on the housing it may come from the oil filter cover. I would buy a new rubber O-ring gasket and replace the old one. Make sure you tighten the (oil filter cover) with a torque wrench to 18ft/lbs torque. DO NOT over-tighten. That fixed my leak.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
325myAZ

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeMd View Post
Possible but unlikely. Even if you see oil on the housing it may come from the oil filter cover. I would buy a new rubber O-ring gasket and replace the old one. Make sure you tighten the (oil filter cover) with a torque wrench to 18ft/lbs torque. DO NOT over-tighten. That fixed my leak.

+1

I don't know how dirty your engine is, but make sure you clean that area completely... it'll help you track the point/source of the leak.
325myAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
rome5982

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie222 View Post
hi new on here......leak from oil filter housing,anyone had the same problem ?
I have the same problem. I have been tracking a leak for a while now. Today I had the alternator out and got a good look at where the source is coming from.....between the oil filter housing and the engine block. I did search and it looks like this is not too uncommon for our cars. There is a gasket between the housing assembly and the engine block.

18"ASA AR1/H&R CupKit/ECIS CAI/Stromung Exhaust/Zimmerman Rotors/Aluminum Interior Trim & Face Gauges/G2 Calipers/Clear Corners/Autometer Gauges/Mtech Front Bumper/Chrome Grill/UUC Shift Knob/OEM Rear Spoiler/Painted Moldings/Silver Gauge Rings/JL Audio 12W3V2 & 6.5 Coax/BA 6.5 ProSeries/Kicker KX600.4
rome5982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
toddkageals

My Ride: 2008 335i sport/prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by rome5982 View Post
I have the same problem. I have been tracking a leak for a while now. Today I had the alternator out and got a good look at where the source is coming from.....between the oil filter housing and the engine block. I did search and it looks like this is not too uncommon for our cars. There is a gasket between the housing assembly and the engine block.
I think mine is oozing there too. I'm replacing the gasket between the housing and the block when I do my CCV next weekend. I'm going to change that oil hose that's in that area too! I'm changing the CCV and ALL of the rubber hoses that are under the intake manifold because I am taking the manifold off to get to the CCV. I have a slow leak in there somewhere but I WILL get it taken care of when I change all of this stuff.

Todd
toddkageals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
russm73

My Ride: 2000 323i
^^ Have to do mine to. I think its cracked
Staggered ASA AR1's| Brembo sport drilled rotors| Hawk Hps pads| Stromung exhaust, resonator delete| ECIS Intake| Depo P46's| MyCARR angel eyes| Smoked corner lights| Clear side/ rear lights| 5 % tint all around| CF door pillars| CF trunk lip| M3 bumper| Strass lip| H&R Cupkit|
russm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
RockStar LouE46

My Ride: 323i Sedan
Send a message via MSN to RockStar LouE46
I had the same problem.

When i did my own oil change last time what i found out is that the dealer had left the old o-ring and put in the new on top. So i had two and thats why it was leaking. It was hard to tell because it looked like it had molded into the thread. I almost missed it. I even bought a new cap because i though mine was broken.

Good Luck.
RockStar LouE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
rome5982

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
I think mine is oozing there too. I'm replacing the gasket between the housing and the block when I do my CCV next weekend. I'm going to change that oil hose that's in that area too! I'm changing the CCV and ALL of the rubber hoses that are under the intake manifold because I am taking the manifold off to get to the CCV. I have a slow leak in there somewhere but I WILL get it taken care of when I change all of this stuff.

Todd
I will be doing the repair myself also. I need to see if it is just the gasket that needs to be replaced or if I discover any housing cracks. I would really appreciate any "heads up" or leassons learned info from your repair since I will not be attempting this for a couple of months. Good luck.

18"ASA AR1/H&R CupKit/ECIS CAI/Stromung Exhaust/Zimmerman Rotors/Aluminum Interior Trim & Face Gauges/G2 Calipers/Clear Corners/Autometer Gauges/Mtech Front Bumper/Chrome Grill/UUC Shift Knob/OEM Rear Spoiler/Painted Moldings/Silver Gauge Rings/JL Audio 12W3V2 & 6.5 Coax/BA 6.5 ProSeries/Kicker KX600.4
Old 03-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
toddkageals

I have taken the manifold off and have begun reassembly....my only advice to this point is....don't take the manifold off if at all possible....what a royal PITA!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
rome5982

Quote:
I have taken the manifold off and have begun reassembly....my only advice to this point is....don't take the manifold off if at all possible....what a royal PITA!!!!!!
What manifold? The oil filter housing itself? Are you talking about the four bolts attaching the housing to the engine block? What specifically was the pain..........please advise so I can avoid any pitfalls if I can. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
nonford

My Ride: 2000 E46 323i
I had a bit of seeping that was running down the block by the filter housing (aggragate) that I was tracking for two weeks. Replaced the hose to the VANOS, replaced the oil seperator, and still had a bit coming back. Bought a new gasket for the housing that attaches to the block and replaced that this weekend. When I took that off, there was alot of black on the inner side and the gasket was really flattened out. Put the new one on and bolted her back up. Drove about 100 miles now and not a trace of oil. Hopefully I got it.
nonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
toddkageals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonford View Post
I had a bit of seeping that was running down the block by the filter housing (aggragate) that I was tracking for two weeks. Replaced the hose to the VANOS, replaced the oil seperator, and still had a bit coming back. Bought a new gasket for the housing that attaches to the block and replaced that this weekend. When I took that off, there was alot of black on the inner side and the gasket was really flattened out. Put the new one on and bolted her back up. Drove about 100 miles now and not a trace of oil. Hopefully I got it.
What all did you have to remove to get to that gasket??? I have the gasket but did not pull the "aggregate housing" because it did not appear to be leaking. However, if it's not too bad, maybe I'll go ahead and do it. I replaced the oil hose to the VANOS and the CCV and all associated hoses/gaskets. I skipped the aggregate due to time constraints but what the heck????
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
toddkageals

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome5982 View Post
What manifold? The oil filter housing itself? Are you talking about the four bolts attaching the housing to the engine block? What specifically was the pain..........please advise so I can avoid any pitfalls if I can. Thanks.
I was referring to the intake manifold!!! Quite a bit more difficult than the oil filter housing!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #16
nonford

Quote:
What all did you have to remove to get to that gasket??? I have the gasket but did not pull the "aggregate housing" because it did not appear to be leaking. However, if it's not too bad, maybe I'll go ahead and do it. I replaced the oil hose to the VANOS and the CCV and all associated hoses/gaskets. I skipped the aggregate due to time constraints but what the heck????
That was the only thing I had left to check. It's difficult to diagnose because it is hidden and was the only conclusion I came to of where this oil was seeping from. It is pretty straight forward.

****I Disconnected the BATTERY, you have to make certain no power is at the alternator**** Also, I opened the top of the oil filter to allow the oil to drain back down to the pan. Note, you will still have a bit left and spill out when you seperate the aggragate.
1. I have an automatic so I took the cooling fan off the pump and removed the fan and shroud.
2. Took the belt off and removed the idler pully (this actually takes one of the bolts off the alternator).
**Forgot - remove the ATF Fluid container and just slide off to the side****
3. Disconnect the positive line at the alternator and clip (sensor).
4. Remove lower bolt of alternator and wiggle out the alternator. Make sure air dam is seperated below too.
5. Disconnect VANOS oil pipe. I just left the top one on and removed the one attached to the aggragate. (make sure you get 2 new crush washers for reinstall).
6. Remove power steering pump bracket (2 bolts in front and 1 in the upper back corner.
7. Remove all bolts on the aggrate, I think 6 in all. Be sure to note what bolt was removed from what position (they vary in length and will need to be put back in the correct position).
8. Should come off fairly easy.
9. Clean the block and make sure no oil is on it. Be careful when removing the old gasket as to not marking up where the seal is. I used a very small nail to get a hold of the gasket. It was pretty stiff so take your time and don't chip the mold. *make a note how the gasket is inserted so you put the new one in the same way.
10. Clean off oil and then install the gasket. Make sure you got it in there good. No need to use any RV, but I just dabbed it on the new gasket using the O2 safe blue rv.
11. Also, make note of the two guides (1 upper right and 1 lower left corners) and be sure to line them up for proper fitment.

Once you got it on there correctly start back in reverse order. Took me two hours. (first time) I think that was about all that was involved. (hate going off of memory)

My seeping is completly gone after this.

Last edited by nonford; 03-05-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
rome5982

Nonford, great write up. Thanks a lot for the tips. I just replaced my alternator and I have replaced the idler pulley before, so this seems pretty reasonable. One question about the alternator re-install - how did you line up the bolt holes for the bottom "ears" of the alternator? It took me forever to get the holes to finally line up perfect enough to allow the thru bolt threads to take hold when I replaced the alternator........any tips to help speed up this portion of the install. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
nonford

Yeah, I hear yah on lining it back up. Basically, what I did was get the alternator in there and when I got it where I thought it was close, I got the pulley bolt in and had it do the pulling and positioning, with a bit of my nudging. Once I did that, I backed out the bolt and then worked in getting the bottom bolt threaded. It worked for me.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #19
charper140

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Lightbulb Bingo!

I have the same issue. I'll be tackling this job this weekend. The leak is a B!t&h to find!
charper140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
dkrab

My Ride: 2000 323i
I did the seal replacement a couple of weeks ago. Here are a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3020052.jpg
Views:	4261
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	262958   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3020053.jpg
Views:	3528
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	262959   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3020054.jpg
Views:	3803
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	262960   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3020049.jpg
Views:	3717
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	262961  

Last edited by dkrab; 03-12-2008 at 08:15 PM.
dkrab is offline   Reply With Quote