E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #41
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Usually, the pins follow a standard configuration (layout), so even if they are not labeled, you can figure them out. Click on my sig and go to the relays page in my website. I have diagrams for relays there. Polarity on the coil does not matter.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #42
galege1

My Ride: 323i
thanks
galege1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #43
instinctz

My Ride: E46 325Ci M-sport
Hi,

I just found this and have to say that it's one of the coolest and cheapest mod ;-) However, after doing the mod, I encounter problems. The passenger angel eyes light and dim slower than the driver side. So whenever I unlock the car, the driver side will come first following by the passenger. And when it dim the passenger side will go off first. Also the headlight malfunction light come on every time but it'll go away when I turn on the headlight. What had I done wrong? I'm unclear of the blue/red stripes wire in the glovebox as describe, so I just connect to any of the room lights. Will this cause the problem? I also have identical relay to the angel eyes each. Should I use a single relay for both side instead? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.
instinctz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #44
ca1242

They draw very little current. you can use a single relay for both. If one side is dimmer then the other, then you might have a bad ballast. try swapping them and see if the issue moves to the other side. No reason to get a headlight error unless you forgot to plug something up.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:55 AM   #45
instinctz

For some reason, I am still getting the headlight error. I'm not sure the setting of the angel eyes in this thread is the same as mine as I notice in some of the diagram posted here, there's an additional switch used to on/off the angel eyes. For my setting, the angel eyes actually replace the low light (not sure how to address it but it's the 1st position u turn to on the light when the 2nd position will turn on the HID light). So there's no longer small bulb for the low light but it's the angel eyes instead.

Whenever I turn on the light, the error will be gone. But I off it and after a while, the error light will lit again. Please help
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #46
Atlas

My Ride: 320i
Send a message via ICQ to Atlas
I think i have the same kit which plugs into the parkers or the 'low light' as you describe. They turn on with the first switch of the headlight.

Mine however does not give an error when they are off. Perhaps a resistor wired in after the halos might work. I'm guessing that the computer is looking for a bulb, even when the lights are off, so you'll have to trick the computer somehow.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:41 AM   #47
instinctz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I think i have the same kit which plugs into the parkers or the 'low light' as you describe. They turn on with the first switch of the headlight.

Mine however does not give an error when they are off. Perhaps a resistor wired in after the halos might work. I'm guessing that the computer is looking for a bulb, even when the lights are off, so you'll have to trick the computer somehow.
The error lights only come up after I've added relays to mod this "remote" angel eyes. Initially everything is fine (without "remote"). Does yours have "remote"?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #48
its Duke

My Ride: black go kart
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 AM   #49
Atlas

My Ride: 320i
Send a message via ICQ to Atlas
Do you mean you re-wired to use the relay? Then i suspect that your LCM/ECU is looking for a bulb which is no longer there. Prior to your remote mod, your angel eyes were wired direct to the parkers which i assume functioned in place of your parker bulb. No that it is not there, you get bulb out error.

I recently had the same issue... i've ditched the relay and wired it myself without relay.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #50
Kmoy2002

My Ride: 2002tii, 540i, 330i
Thanks! This was an awesome addition to my DDE's

I always had that extra trigger wire just tied up but now it's actually hooked up to the footwell lighting. Fades in during unlock and fades out during lock and is constantly on when engine is on.

If you have angel eyes, and are not using the extra trigger wire put it to good use and hook it up
Kmoy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #51
turtzilla

My Ride: 04 325ci
very nice, I must do when putting in my eyes
turtzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #52
bmwilson

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320de46m47 View Post
Thanks to Highvoltage

so just for explanation .. when the footwell lights are activated via the key power is supplied via 87a across the relay to 30 and then to the angel eyes. when the ignition is turned on (ie power supplied to pin 85) the coil in the relay is activated which pulls up the bar away from 87a to connect with 87 instead. the footwell supply is broken and power is supplied to the angel eyes via 87 and 30. the switch of course makes or breaks the circuit after the relay.
Dragging an old but great post up.....

On the pic,if I were to wire my "sidelights", first headlight switch position, to pin 85 and not bother with the switch would it work with no bulb out error?
bmwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #53
ca1242

Switch not required, it is only an option.
You can tap to any source of power. Sidelights should work fine.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #54
bmwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242 View Post
Switch not required, it is only an option.
You can tap to any source of power. Sidelights should work fine.
Thanks,you always help

I've actually just finished the mod.Tapped into the sidelights for the power and grounded the AE's locally on the sidelight ground.

I used a relay as I had no diodes,works well.

I connected the footwell light from the passenger side (drivers where I live), its an easy job and it brings it out just where you need it plus it saves dropping the glovebox and or fishing cables through.

Thanks again forall the info
Old 04-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #55
Spidey12

My Ride: 2000 328i 4DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogmike View Post
Using a 3M T Tap .. simply tap your wire coming from the engine bay onto this blue / red wire. and.. bingo... you're done. Go ahead and put the glove box back in place and put a 10amp fuse in the inline fuse holder (if you added one).
I understood everything but this...

what exactly does it mean to "tap" a wire? what is a 3M T tap? what is a 10 amp fuse? and what the hell is an inline fuse holder?
Spidey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #56
ca1242

Are you joking? You don't know what a fuse is?

A t-tap is a fastener that crimps two wires together (and existing wire and a new wire). I personally do not recommend t-taps are they make for an unreliable connection. If you want a realibale connection, strip insulation on the car wire, wrap the new wire around and solder, then insulate with tape.

Google is your friend:

http://images.google.com/images?um=1...ne+fuse+holder

http://images.google.com/images?um=1...9US210&q=t-tap
Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #57
Spidey12

Quote:
Are you joking? You don't know what a fuse is?

A t-tap is a fastener that crimps two wires together (and existing wire and a new wire). I personally do not recommend t-taps are they make for an unreliable connection. If you want a realibale connection, strip insulation on the car wire, wrap the new wire around and solder, then insulate with tape.

Google is your friend:

http://images.google.com/images?um=1...ne+fuse+holder

http://images.google.com/images?um=1...9US210&q=t-tap
im a med student man...im neck deep in medical crap it leaves me with little common knowledge concerning things like wiring....
Old 04-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #58
Spidey12

and while i now know what a t tap looks like and what an inline fuse looks like...i still have no idea if i need them...or how to use them or...im basically more lost than before haha
Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #59
ca1242

Don't you guys have to jump start people in the er or wire pacemakers and stuff?

Diagram above shows pretty much what you have to do. If you want to make your life easier, buy a kit from someone like Umnitza or Jlevi. Their kits come with all the parts you need and instructions with details and pictures.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #60
bmwilson

Quote:
Don't you guys have to jump start people in the er or wire pacemakers and stuff?

Diagram above shows pretty much what you have to do. If you want to make your life easier, buy a kit from someone like Umnitza or Jlevi. Their kits come with all the parts you need and instructions with details and pictures.