E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2003, 06:02 PM   #1
WillyBimmin

My Ride: 99' 328I
Send a message via AIM to WillyBimmin
Question Installing H&R Springs

I'm putting in a new set of H&R springs on a 99 328I. Do I need any special tools to do this? I was told by a couple of shops that they really didn't even want to touch it because of how complicated it was.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:49 PM   #2
alexanderlupo

My Ride: 2000 323i
this is not really a doit yourself job. I have the H&R springs and had them installed for around 160$. The hardest thing to do is to compress the spring during installation. You need a spring compresor for that. Check some local performance shops.
alexanderlupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:01 PM   #3
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

My Ride: goes wshh
theres a spring install DIY in the "tech" section of e46fanatics. look at the top left of the web page and you'll see tech. click on it and you should be able to find it. it will show you all you need to know
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:22 PM   #4
Theo

My Ride: 2000 328i
The rears are a piece of cake. I didn't even need a spring compressor for them. The fronts, however, are a different story. I tried one of the rental spring compressor bracket thingies...a real PITA! I couldn't compress the old springs far enought to remove them. Wound up at a local automotive machine shop with a bench-mounted compressor and for $50 they put the new springs on the fronts.

All in all, it took about 2-3 hours work time (not counting the time wasted on the rental spring compressors and the machine shop time) to do both the fronts and the rears.

Don't forget to support the hubs after removing the shocks to prevent strain on the brake lines and ABS sensor. Also, make sure you torque everything to spec when reassembling.

Theo
Old 05-13-2003, 05:45 PM   #5
Ricks1stBimmer

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Ricks1stBimmer
I did it myself. Pretty easy. Rented the spring compressor at Kragen and me and another friend followed the DIY on the tech page.

I posted it up somewhere.
Ricks1stBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 02:15 AM   #6
WillyBimmin

My Ride: 99' 328I
Send a message via AIM to WillyBimmin
I tried it by myself and this is definately not DIY er. After 5 hours of tring to get the dam front shock out, I quit. I even used a spring compression kit and that still didn't work cause you still have to find a way to compress the shock. The fact that it was 90 degrees in the shade didn't help either.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:03 AM   #7
egyptnads
Banned

My Ride: 2000 silver 323i
Send a message via AIM to egyptnads
its areally easy man, just take out your front shocks, replace them with the h and r's. the backs are even easier, did it in 15 minutes. go to the how to's and follow those. its not hard at all. it was my first time modding my car,. and everything was fine
egyptnads is offline   Reply With Quote