E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #81
TheyH8n

My Ride: m3
very interested as well dont want any flickering crap tho
TheyH8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #82
brenWRX
Banned

My Ride: M3/STi/TL/E36 M3
trying some new ones from superbrightleds.com...will report back how they hold up
brenWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #83
brenWRX
Banned

OK heres my review

superbrightleds.com bulbs, look great - no flicker, no bulb out warning, not even one when you turn on and then goes off.

does the light dimming thing when the car is off (normal led thing)
Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #84
M3 tHriLLa

My Ride: 97'E36 M3,05'M3-ZCP
Send a message via AIM to M3 tHriLLa
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenWRX View Post
OK heres my review

superbrightleds.com bulbs, look great - no flicker, no bulb out warning, not even one when you turn on and then goes off.

yea it does.. doesnt bother me tho
Old 11-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #85
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
OK heres my review

I'm assuming you just bought 'em. They'll go out in the next month or two.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 AM   #86
nleeumd

My Ride: BMW 330Ci, 991s
Send a message via AIM to nleeumd
i had the bulb out issues with the license plate led's in the past, before i installed a resistor for the license plate light, now, going on 6 months, no issues, before i used to change them almost monthly
'01 BMW 330Ci | PP/CWP/SP/XE/KVT-915DVD | M3 Lip Spoiler | M3 Strut Bar | Jim Conforti Intake | UUC Sway Bars | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Upgrade | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Foglights | JL Audio Stealth Box | Clears All Around | 18" ASA AR1's | LED Tails | Rearview Keyhole Camera
nleeumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #87
brenWRX
Banned

where did you install the resistor and how?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-B...spagenameZWD1V

put this on each side of the bulb contact?

i bought extra bulbs incase

Last edited by brenWRX; 11-14-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #88
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
i'm tired of wasting time and money on these bulbs. can someone post how to install the resistors?

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #89
nleeumd

i used a 6ohm, 50 watt resistor bought from autolumination. I removed the trunk lid carpeting; the carpet you would take out to remove the inner trunk tail lights. Right behind the license plate inside the trunk after you remove the liner, there are a group of wires that run to power the license plate lights. they meet together near the center of the trunk using a white clip, the wires you want to tap for the licenses plate are located there, I am not 100% of the colors, i believe brown and white is the power, but I would have to double check. Just tap the resistor into the power and ground, and mount in to the metal frame inside the trunk and your done. No more bulb out warnings when you start the car. You will still get flashing when the bulbs are off. But I have never had to replace one because of the bulb going bad. I just replaced a set of the old 9 LED superwhite bulbs 39mm feston, with autolumination's 8 SMT LED 39mm feston bulb, much brighter output with more of a crisper white color.
'01 BMW 330Ci | PP/CWP/SP/XE/KVT-915DVD | M3 Lip Spoiler | M3 Strut Bar | Jim Conforti Intake | UUC Sway Bars | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Upgrade | Philips Ultinon 6000k HID Foglights | JL Audio Stealth Box | Clears All Around | 18" ASA AR1's | LED Tails | Rearview Keyhole Camera
Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #90
nleeumd

Quote:
where did you install the resistor and how?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-B...spagenameZWD1V

put this on each side of the bulb contact?

i bought extra bulbs incase
no need to place the resistor near the bulb, plus that resistor is pretty pricey. They are $6.99 each at autolumination + shipping and you only need one.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #91
GoliathG

My Ride: 03 CL
OK, this is my first post here, and I do not drive a bimmer. But my cousin does and He seen this Mod that I made for My car. Now he wants it done to his 330 and I would like to know, will I be using 1 or 2 resistors? Bulbs are ordered and I will go to Radio-shack for the resistors.

Also, I'd like to know if the resistor used by nleeumd is correct? I used a 10ohm 100watt resistor for each of my bulbs I installed and so far so well.

Thanks for the info.

ALi
GoliathG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #92
GoliathG

Dunno if this helps you guys any, but I made a How Too for the merc owners, should be farely easy to follow and understand thou.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath27
This is by far the SEXIEST thing I have ever seen done to a car, a MUST DO no matter WHAT the cost.

Tools needed:
Phillips screw driver
Crimper's
Small Flat head screw driver
Soldering Iron and Solder*

Supplies Needed:
LED Bulbs from http://spectrumled.com/festoon.htm(39mm Festoon Bulbs) - 2
Load resistors
Splice crimper's
Some BEER and a pack o smokes lol

These steps are to be followed after completing either one of the following, Either Purchasing the Load resistors from Radio shack OR just buy it from That same link as the bulbs. In This Link they come READY to go and I would highly recommend you go that rout, that way its safe and well made.

OR you can go the rout Yacht and Me have gone and do it your self for a cheaper price. Your call.

For those who choose to do it Your self, This is what you'll need the soldering iron for. Solder Both resistors on a small board, Nothing Crazy. You can use Epoxy as Yacht Master has done in the picture below to heat shield it, but I did not feel it necessary to do so.(Thanks to Yacht Master for the following 2 pictures)
Have the 2 resistors mounted on some form of Grid or Soldering board.

Make sure their is enough wire hanging of each resistor to reach what you need.

Thats the ONLY prep work you will need to do before the Install. Now the nitty Gritty.

Step One - Unscrew The following Screws And pull off this plastic Plate

Once Removed, you will need to Pop off the Trunk cover. It is held on by little Plastic tabs, THAT WILL BREAK, so be careful. Their is one difficult one down on the bottom left where the Power is run, Pop the plastic cap off first and then the rest.

Step Two - Un-Clip the following two clips for the Light and Trunk release button. You will need to open the clip attached for the light and pull hard to get it off.

Once done, let it drop down and you now have a Bare trunk lid.

Step Three - Un-clip the following two clips for the License plate light. It will take Basic motor skills to figure out which ones are the correct clips, so good luck lol.

Step Four - While Unclipped, strip back the protective wrap for the License plate wires and splice one end of the resistor to the Ground wire, and do the same for the Power wire. It wont matter which end of the resistor goes where. Just make sure each Bulb gets its Own resistor.

Step Five - Mount the resistors some where secure, and away from danger. i chose a small plate on the top of the lid, and mounted it with Sip ties. you can choose anywhere you see fit, just make sure their out of harms way.

Step Six - Re-attach the clips for the Bulbs, and then begin re-attaching the Trunk Release/Light clips and mounting the Lid Liner back on. Be careful with those clips, I broke one already. Then gently clip on the cover from Step One and screw it back on. Now you will need to do one last step.

Put these in.

I will warn you, they are slightly bigger then the stock ones. And if your Stock Lenses are Burnt like mine are, you will need new covers(22 bucks from dealership, whole housing and a PAINT IN THE ARS to install).

now, ENJOY!!!!!!!!!11

Its got A BRIGHT LINE on the ground looool

ALi
Old 04-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #93
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i scored myself a blue pair off ebay. love em. but im wondering if i'll be pulled over for them soon.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #94
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
its cool but it brings way too much attention to your plates.

not sure if thats a good thing though

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #95
GoliathG

I thought of the whole attention problem too....... trust me, Once its said and done, You wont care.

The first night your gonna sit in your driveway just staring at the end of the car lol.

ALi
Old 04-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #96
SaaDiesel

My Ride: 02 330i Tech 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

thats one light mod I'll stay away from. I dont need to help people see my license plate as I speed by em.

looks nice though.

Not a good mod to have if you live in an area equipped with traffic cameras.

ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
BFP Intake, Euro Cooling Ducts, OEM Clear Lenses, 8000K HIDS
Matte Black-Grill, Headlight, Window, & Body Trim
SaaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #97
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaaDiesel View Post

Not a good mod to have if you live in an area equipped with traffic cameras.
As if the flash doesn't do anything...

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #98
Joe Trojan

My Ride: '02 325ci
too bad you can't hook it up to a relay switch to turn it on/off at will.

Temporary Sig
oh hai, i upgraded your ride.
Joe Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote