E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
vanCOUPEr

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Eagle Eye LED rears - how to fit trunk light panel?

Installed my EE LED Clear Tails yesterday (thanks to Khoa for the great service!)

Install went fine except for the last step of attaching the plastic panel in the trunk that holds the lens for the trunk light. Basically, the panel has two posts along the bottom that sort of fit into two recesses in the bottom light housing. At the top, there is a hole in the panel that fits over one of the threaded studs that hold the light housing in place.

Now, as soon as I put panel over this stud and put the nut on it, the bottom of the panel pulls away from the light housing so the whole panel is at an angle pointing upwards, instead of being vertical.

Any ideas?
vanCOUPEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
you're talking about the plastic thing behind the tail lights right? it should go in fine. just keep at it, you might just be doing something wrong.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
tmerrick

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to tmerrick
Are you talking about the inner lights on the lid itself or the outside lights on the body?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
weisiong123

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanCOUPEr View Post
Installed my EE LED Clear Tails yesterday (thanks to Khoa for the great service!)

Install went fine except for the last step of attaching the plastic panel in the trunk that holds the lens for the trunk light. Basically, the panel has two posts along the bottom that sort of fit into two recesses in the bottom light housing. At the top, there is a hole in the panel that fits over one of the threaded studs that hold the light housing in place.

Now, as soon as I put panel over this stud and put the nut on it, the bottom of the panel pulls away from the light housing so the whole panel is at an angle pointing upwards, instead of being vertical.

Any ideas?
Haha..I know what you mean..mine is sticking out too...just the top bolt holding it...bottom 2 can't hold in place

he's talking about the 2 lights when you open your trunk...1 light on each side...that piece can't clip properly when you install EE LED's....

weisiong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
tmerrick

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to tmerrick
I had some slight fitment issues with the inner light and how the black bulb carrier clips into it. I had to remove some excess plastic where the carrier clips to the housing, the spring clip. Also the OEM one would lock into place when just pushing it to seat it, but the EE one I had to push the lock arm and then it snapped.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
vanCOUPEr

Thanks for the replies.

I should post some pics as, if you are not familiar with these lights, it may be tough to understand what I am talking about. Those who have installed these probably understand.

Yeah, I cannot get the locking tab in the center of the panel to snap into place so I think I do have to trim the plastic on the sides of the lower posts a little. I think this will allow the posts to go further into the recesses in the light housing. Hopefully the locking tab will snap into place to hold the panel vertical, and then I should be able to put the nut on the top stud without having the panel pull away at the bottom.

Will do it this weekend and post my results.

Thanks, again.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
That tab can be a bit tricky but check out my write up:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=LED
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanCOUPEr View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I should post some pics as, if you are not familiar with these lights, it may be tough to understand what I am talking about. Those who have installed these probably understand.

Yeah, I cannot get the locking tab in the center of the panel to snap into place so I think I do have to trim the plastic on the sides of the lower posts a little. I think this will allow the posts to go further into the recesses in the light housing. Hopefully the locking tab will snap into place to hold the panel vertical, and then I should be able to put the nut on the top stud without having the panel pull away at the bottom.

Will do it this weekend and post my results.

Thanks, again.
nah it's just the way you described it. the plastic thing that holds the lense for the trunk. sounds to me like you were talking about the ones on the trunk with the reverse lights.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
vanCOUPEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
the plastic thing that holds the lense for the trunk.
Actually, I wrote "the plastic panel in the trunk that holds the lens for the trunk light." No worries.

Anyway, I tried again before trimming any plastic, and it worked!!! The trick is PUSH LIKE H3LL on the center of the panel and simultaneously push the locking tab into place as it does not want to click into place by itself (thanks tmerrick for this tip). With the locking tab now holding the panel in place, I could put the upper nut back on. The panel itself is slightly flexible so by tightening the upper nut, you actually pull that top corner of the panel tight to the light housing but now, because the center is held by the locking tab, the bottom of the panel stays in place and does not pull away. Looked really ghetto before, now looks fine (not as nice as the oem trunk light panel, but definitely acceptable).

Now my trunk lights actually point towards the front of the trunk like they should instead of pointing at the underside of the parcel shelf.

NOW I'm 100% happy with the LED tails (no dash warning lights either)