E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
monmon_4

My Ride: 320i
question for people with resonator delete

If I delete mine, do you delete the one closer to the muffler or further away from the muffler? I'm pretty sure it's the closer one but I'm double checking.

And in terms of the final product, do you guys experience any "popping" or "backfire" sort of noise that you didn't experience before your resonator delete?

I ask because my friend owns a Mini and after he installed a catback exhaust system, he gets this weird popping/backfire sound, and it's fine for his Mini, IMO, but might be a bit ricey for an e46.

The noise I'm talking about is the one that the car in this video experiences at high RPMs:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=31618340

euro clears, V2 LED angel eyes, m-tech II front bumper, trunk lip spoiler, chrome gauge rings, 18" m5 rims, chrome grill,
K&N intake, aux input, brushed aluminum pedals, active autowerke gen. 3 exhaust, RD Sport SSK w/ Rogue WSR
Bilstein sport shocks, H&R race springs

Last edited by monmon_4; 04-27-2008 at 09:06 PM.
monmon_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
The resonator closer to the cats is bigger than the one closer to the muffler. If you remove the small one the sound is less than the bigger one.

I have the smaller one removed and if I was on 1st around 3k rpm and let go of the gas, there's a slight bubble noise but it sounds good paired with the sound of the exhaust.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
the car in the video sounds good, I cut off the resonator that was away from the exhaust which makes the perfect sound with my AA exhaust. should def. do it even with a stock exhaust
Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
e46stallion

My Ride: fwd
Send a message via AIM to e46stallion
i have the 2nd resonator (one closest to muffler) deleted and i thinkmy exhaust sounds awesome. i have the highline tuning muffler...im considering deleting the other as well but also just want to run pipes from the cat back..

but ive never had a popping/backfire sound...
Old 04-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
monmon_4

so people either don't experience this sound or, if they do, they like it?

euro clears, V2 LED angel eyes, m-tech II front bumper, trunk lip spoiler, chrome gauge rings, 18" m5 rims, chrome grill,
K&N intake, aux input, brushed aluminum pedals, active autowerke gen. 3 exhaust, RD Sport SSK w/ Rogue WSR
Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
NorCal Einstein

My Ride: E92 335i
Send a message via AIM to NorCal Einstein Send a message via Yahoo to NorCal Einstein
I don't get this sound and I'm running a full Highline cat-back system (no resonators)

Current:
2009 E92 335i Alpine White/Coral Red

Past:
2007 E92 335i Sparkling Graphite/Black
2000 E46 323i Steel Blue/Grey

NorCal Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 AM   #7
monmon_4

Interesting. I am now even more unsure of whether or not I want to perform this resonator delete because I do not want to have this sound when I drive my car and double clutch down to stop.