E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Help with brake rotors

Hey guys, I tried to search for this but came up with nothing, hopefully I didn't over look it. Anyway, on a stock 325i, can you up the rotor size without changing the pistons and if so how much larger can you go? I am going to need to replace my stock rotors soon and wanted to go aftermarket. If it's possible (because other mods are on the list before a bbk) I just was currious if this would work. Thanks in advance.
02m3csl325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
kcalhoun27

My Ride: is red inside
its not worth it unless you plan to track the car. the stock brakes are more than adequate for any type of driving youll be doing off of a track. just upgrade the discs to slotted/drilled and get better pads if you want. but there is really no need to do this. my 0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by theribdoctor View Post
chili is awesome, I bleed aqua and orange.
kcalhoun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
You can get Brembo slotted or cross drilled rotors of the same size as the oem ones and use your stock calipers. I went with slotted.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Trying to do it on the cheap; if you're thinking of going to a larger stock rotor, you're going to need to replace the brake carriers and housings also as they are different dimensions on a 325 vs a 330.

If you're still wanting to go that route look for someone parting out or selling their 330 setup because they went to a bbk or a wreck.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
02m3csl325

Alright, that helps, thanks guys. I just wasn't sure if that would be a "cheap" way to up the braking performance. I am going to order the M type drilled rotors from PowerStop and unless someone has a 330 set-up they want to help out a friend out with for like, say $30 , then I will just stick with the stock size. I have to commute up to Denver every day and it just seems like you can never have too much stopping power for all the incredibly smart drivers that cut you off and vere in front of you while slamming on their brakes.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

I did a slotted rotor replacement and went to a different pad compound. I think the pad compound of the OEM brake pads has more initial bite but it's also very rough feeling. The aftermark stuff like Akebono or Axxis offer a much more refined feel.

One thing to remember when driving in commuter traffic is to keep an eye behind you because our BMW's stop a LOT quicker than many other cars.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02m3csl325 View Post
Alright, that helps, thanks guys. I just wasn't sure if that would be a "cheap" way to up the braking performance. I am going to order the M type drilled rotors from PowerStop and unless someone has a 330 set-up they want to help out a friend out with for like, say $30 , then I will just stick with the stock size. I have to commute up to Denver every day and it just seems like you can never have too much stopping power for all the incredibly smart drivers that cut you off and vere in front of you while slamming on their brakes.
Also remember that if you 'upgrade' to a 330i setup you will be limited to only 17inch and larger wheels from then on.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #8
Tim30250

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '09 G37
Send a message via AIM to Tim30250
Stay away from slotted or drilled rotors as they will perform worse for you than a comparably sized conventional rotor. The drilling or slotting is primarily for heat dissipation to reduce fade during periods of frequent hard braking, like during racing. The tradeoff, however, is that drilling reduces the friction surface area where the pad contacts the rotor, hence reduced stopping capabilities. Now if you do race (or are considering it in the future) than the drilled rotors may be an option, but if not, save your money and go with the product that's better suited to your situation.

2002 BMW 330Cic... ZSP, 5MT
Mods: VF Stg. 1 Supercharger, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, UUC Sway Bars

Original Owner... 50,038 miles as of 05/19/14
Tim30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim30250 View Post
Stay away from slotted or drilled rotors as they will perform worse for you than a comparably sized conventional rotor.
That's a fairly generalized statement. Yes you loose surface area on the rotor, however minimally, but there are benefits from this also. I notice you live in TX so you probably won't recognize a benefit as frequently as I do but slotted rotors clear water away immediately, I would imagine drilled perform similarly. In excessively rainy conditions like we have around Seattle through much of the year this is big gain, especially in commuter traffic. With slotted rotors I alawys have brakes, immediatley, without going through that period of time where it feels like your accelerating before the brakes start to grab.

The OP lives in or around Denver and proably won't recognize any benefit from this aspect, or the need for cooling unless the car is tracked BUT they do look cool.

/// MODS
Old 04-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
skipole

My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim30250 View Post
Stay away from slotted or drilled rotors as they will perform worse for you than a comparably sized conventional rotor. The drilling or slotting is primarily for heat dissipation to reduce fade during periods of frequent hard braking, like during racing. The tradeoff, however, is that drilling reduces the friction surface area where the pad contacts the rotor, hence reduced stopping capabilities. Now if you do race (or are considering it in the future) than the drilled rotors may be an option, but if not, save your money and go with the product that's better suited to your situation.
Voice of reason right here... general principle says unless you are tracking the car or driving very hard very frequently, then go for blank rotors.

Brembo blank rotors & Hawk HPS pads FTW
Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
02m3csl325

I do hear everything you're saying, I will not be tracking very much but I'm sure the itch to so have some fun will bite me every now and then. Mostly I am after the look you get with drilled rotors. PowerStop offers a set that are drilled just enough to let out the heat but will maintain full structural rigibility and they back it up with a lifetime warranty that replaces the rotor in case of warping or cracking. Thanks for all the excellent input though guys! Also, we don't get nearly as much rain as Seattle although we get a crap load of snow and water on the roads during the winter and the slotted rotors I had on my old ride helped to keep them dry.

Last edited by 02m3csl325; 04-28-2008 at 01:29 AM.