E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
EC330I

My Ride: 330i
Xenons flickering...HELP!

Hello everyone, I have a 2001 330i and recently my xenons have been flickering. Both sides will go off and instantly back on. The 01's have xenons for low beams only. I do have a Dinan CAI and they've relocated the xenon module on the left side of the car. Also I have the first generation halos installed which means that they've spliced off some wire for power. I'm not very technical at all so if anyone can provide me with some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Or maybe if anyone else in this community has had this problem, please let me know how I can fix it.

Thanks everyone
ACS: Mirrors Deck Spoiler Roof Spoiler
H&R: Coilover System
EC330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
summit425

My Ride: E46 AW 323Ci
your blasters I guess
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
W4rmachine

My Ride: oNe sLo 3twenty3
Send a message via AIM to W4rmachine
Same situation with me... I think its my Halo wire connections ... anyone knows?
[BMW 323ci] Mods: AA Supercharged C30 Kit | AA Gen 3 exhaust | OEM M3 front | Vorsteiner Hood | Custom paint Volk TE37 | GTR sideskirts | Hamann rear addon | HKS Hipermaxx Coilover | Voltex GT Type 1 Wing | OEM M3 side mirror | Autentic ACS Lip |
W4rmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
D3a5v1e

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to D3a5v1e
I had the same problem and it ended up being a bad Xenon ballast. I was still under warranty at the time, but I think a replacement is about $400 or $500.
D3a5v1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
330 OCD

My Ride: 330ci
I just had mine in for service, BMW has isssued a service bulletin for bad "igniters", its the module that turns them on and off like D3 said.
330 OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
sakman74
Banned

My Ride: M3 Coupe
first thing to do for a fix is replacing the bulb. if that doesn't solve the problem, it would be either the igniter or ballast. i had the same problem once, had an extra set of bixenons laying around, so i gutted out the ballast and replaced the one on my headlight with it. worked fine after.
sakman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3a5v1e View Post
I had the same problem and it ended up being a bad Xenon ballast. I was still under warranty at the time, but I think a replacement is about $400 or $500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330 OCD View Post
I just had mine in for service, BMW has isssued a service bulletin for bad "igniters", its the module that turns them on and off like D3 said.
the igniter and ballast are two different things. The ballast is the power source for the high intesity discharge lights. It could be anyone of the three. like he said above, if you can get your hands on a pair or even just A bulb to swap out and test go for it and see if its the problem. If the problem is a ballast or igniter just get one from JLevi, its a helluva lot cheaper

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
W4rmachine

I change the bulbs that doesn't seem the case. Whats the igniter you guys? It could be a bad ballast.. so would i have to purchase a brand new set of H.I.D kit?
[BMW 323ci] Mods: AA Supercharged C30 Kit | AA Gen 3 exhaust | OEM M3 front | Vorsteiner Hood | Custom paint Volk TE37 | GTR sideskirts | Hamann rear addon | HKS Hipermaxx Coilover | Voltex GT Type 1 Wing | OEM M3 side mirror | Autentic ACS Lip |
Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
summit425

My Ride: E46 AW 323Ci
sorry it is a ballast... -_-
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
whitearchangel

My Ride: 323i
I had the same problem except the left turn signal was blinking like a machine gun. I reseated the turn signal bulb and everything went back to normal. The research I had done on this site leads me to think that the LCM was resetting itself, hence the flickering.
whitearchangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
330Bimmer3

My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via AIM to 330Bimmer3
No need to replace the bulbs, it's the igniters. I had this problem. If you don't replace the igniters it will burn out your bulbs which are 160 bucks a piece.

Current: 2006 BMW ///M3 Vert | Black, Black | SMG | 19" CSL Concave

Previous: 2001 BMW 330Ci | Steal Grey, Black | Dinan Stage 3 | B&B Exhaust | Bel Installed | (2) JL W6v2 (2) JL 500w | Rear Spoiler | 30% Tint
330Bimmer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
W4rmachine

So its not the ballast? Where are the igniters located?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
litxus

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
I'm not sure in which forum, but there was a post about this before. For me xenons started flickering a few months ago and it became even more in colder weather. Some people said ballasts, bulbs, it turned out to be none of them in my situation. First check if you have showing "lights out" on your dash. For me sometimes it would show, but then disappear without real pattern, showing one of the turn signal bulbs in the rear. Checked bulbs, were perfectly fine in front and rear. Checked rear and front bulb housings it was fine too. It turned out to be the connection between rear bulb housing and the car(if you disconnect it you can remove rear bulb housing). Once I disconnected I saw that it was kind of blueish color (kind of like on battery sometimes). So I cleaned the connections, put some electrical grease and flickering is gone. And the cost is FREE
litxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:59 AM   #14
EC330I

My Ride: 330i
flickering

Litxus,
I had the same symptoms with the car detecting the rear light going out. The car's warning light came on a couple of times telling me that the driver's side rear light was out. Then after a couple of starts later, it went away. I thought it was weird. I've seen the front bulb contacts get worn out but I don't know why it would be worn. I will check all the light bulbs around the car and see if anything works. It does flicker more in the cold. Weird! It hasn't flickered the last few days but its done this about a few months ago and started again a week ago. I was suspecting that the angel eye connection was causing it but hopefully it's just the bulb connections.

Thanks everyone for your input and I will definitely check everything and make sure its ok.
ACS: Mirrors Deck Spoiler Roof Spoiler
H&R: Coilover System
EC330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
My rear left turn signal wires got fried and caused this to happen.

I would pull the rear lights and check the wires to make sure they aren't burnt out. I had to replace the rear cover and wires on mine. Apparently there was a attempt by NHSTA to do a recall on 1999-2002 cars because the signals can short out.

The poster has some short in the system causing the Xenons to go haywire. Actually oddly enough I found the posting:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ve+turn+signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearchangel View Post
I had the same problem except the left turn signal was blinking like a machine gun. I reseated the turn signal bulb and everything went back to normal. The research I had done on this site leads me to think that the LCM was resetting itself, hence the flickering.
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #16
quirino18

My Ride: 2000 323CI AUTO TIPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC330I View Post
Hello everyone, I have a 2001 330i and recently my xenons have been flickering. Both sides will go off and instantly back on. The 01's have xenons for low beams only. I do have a Dinan CAI and they've relocated the xenon module on the left side of the car. Also I have the first generation halos installed which means that they've spliced off some wire for power. I'm not very technical at all so if anyone can provide me with some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Or maybe if anyone else in this community has had this problem, please let me know how I can fix it.

Thanks everyone
yes i just ran in to the same issue but i fixed already!!
my xenon were blinking now and then i also noticed that when i turned on my car for the first time in the day i drove away to got to work, once i stoped at the signal light and i turned on my right signal light i noticed it'll blink too fast for 2 to 3 times like if a light bulb was out so i noticed something was going on so at night i turned on my car and checked my tail lights for bad bulbs or the brightness also, i noticed the right side wasn't as bright as the right so then i knew something was up on that side, last year i had some work done on my bumber and they removed the tail light and forgot to put the gasket back in place and water went in and wet the plug from the lights so i new it had to be corroded so i took it a part and yes that plug had some corrition on it which causes the resistance to change in the lighting system causing the xenons to fliker.
how did i fix it?
well i just remover the lights holder,removed the plug from the holder and cleaned with contact cleaner i also used a small file to scrape the metal contacts, on the car side plug i got the cap from the spray and fill it up with contact cleaner and left it over night soaking ,in the morning i removed it from the cleaner and used a hair clip to scrape it a little then i spray more cleaner then i conected it to see if the lights would start acting-up again and nothing lights are back to normal!!

good luck hope to help!!

check youre signal lights when you turn it on and see if there is anything abnormal that'll tell you which side has the fault~~!
quirino18 is offline   Reply With Quote