E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Crashspeeder

My Ride: 2004 TiAg M3
Send a message via ICQ to Crashspeeder Send a message via AIM to Crashspeeder Send a message via MSN to Crashspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to Crashspeeder
P46 Bulb questions

I was driving around 2 days ago and my 6000K lights were working fine. On my way home from work the left one started flickering a little and by the time I got home it had a bluish tinge to it. Today the light turned red and is still flashing. I think it's because the bulb is dying but that's just a guess. I figured I'd try to pick up a bulb on my way home (if I can find a store that stocks it) but I'm not 100% sure what bulb I have.

I bought the umnitza P46 HIDs 2 years ago. I think they're D2S bulbs but I don't want to have a ~$130 surprise so I figured I'd ask.

and for the record, I did run a search

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
mine came with an hid bulb built for an H7 housing

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
e34werkz

My Ride: F30
Depending on what vendor you got the lights from they should be under warranty. BTW, I don't think any stores stock h.i.d bulbs.

BMWCCA Member#395677
e34werkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Crashspeeder

Send a message via ICQ to Crashspeeder Send a message via AIM to Crashspeeder Send a message via MSN to Crashspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to Crashspeeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by e34werkz View Post
Depending on what vendor you got the lights from they should be under warranty. BTW, I don't think any stores stock h.i.d bulbs.
I got it from umnitza iirc. I'm not sure if it's still under warranty, I can find out tho. As for the bulbs, I checked autozone's website and they say they carry the D2S in stores and online so if that was the right bulb I'd try to swing by after work.

Breyton: I hear the D2S is very much like the H7 except the H7 is halogen and the D2S is HID.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashspeeder View Post
I got it from umnitza iirc. I'm not sure if it's still under warranty, I can find out tho. As for the bulbs, I checked autozone's website and they say they carry the D2S in stores and online so if that was the right bulb I'd try to swing by after work.

Breyton: I hear the D2S is very much like the H7 except the H7 is halogen and the D2S is HID.
Yes I know this. What I meant was that my projectors came with housings for H7 halogens and that the bulbs that were used were for H7 halogen conversions. The bulb basically has an H7 base. The projectors came with a cutoff shield though.

Pic on the left is H7 HID like the one I have and the one on the right is D2S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h7-1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	271537   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips-d2s-bulbs.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	271538  

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Crashspeeder

Wow, thanks for the pics! I'll take a look at mine and compare.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Crash, email us your name and information, it's likely under a lifetime warranty. We'll look at it and figure it out with you.