E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Asia

Asia

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Why Do Drivers in the Philippines Wait So Long Before They Turn On Their Headlights?

I was in the Philippines recently visiting family and noticed that most drivers wait until it's completely dark before they turn on their headlights! Why?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:36 AM   #2
EMVY

My Ride: E60 M5 & E46 325
Send a message via Yahoo to EMVY Send a message via Skype™ to EMVY
Driving your lights on is weird thing to do. It's not like in North America where Daytime running lights have been the norm years ago. So in the PI, if you turn on your lights too early you luck unusual, weird, etc.

Have you noticed how people keep on using their horns? In the PI its a means of communication like saying:

Excuse me, watch out, careful, hurry up, hey!, nice legs!, and many other things. Try using the horn in North America and see the reaction.

Or how about this. Do you know how many people go out drinking heavily from beer to scotch black in the gimmick areas and how many people go home through EDSA and the other highways, and we all get to go home in one piece. In the Philippines, the way we drive is defensive. Meaning you avoid everyone. And it is normal to avoid another car as soon as 1 ft. of that car moves in your direction. It is also normal to slow down in intersections because it is quite common someone rushes in.

I'll bet you my shirt that the number of accidents in the Philippines is lower than the US considering how many people drink and drive during weekends. Its the way we drive in PI, we are all defensive drivers.
EMVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
I heard this one from a cab driver. He says that turning on the lights consumes more gas.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
^^^hahah
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
threecoupe

My Ride: hates potholes
the longer you turn them on, the more your car deppreciates
Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
I heard this one from a cab driver. He says that turning on the lights consumes more gas.
hahaha ... in a way, there's some truth to this. even bmw has moved to "disconnect" the charging system (i.e., alternator) at times. i guess the cab driver computed how much extra hp he gains or less fuel he consumes saving those 55w x 2 ...
eml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
gruvn

My Ride: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
I was in the Philippines recently visiting family and noticed that most drivers wait until it's completely dark before they turn on their headlights! Why?
hahaha well said EMVY...

i take pride in letting friends know that i learned driving in the streets of manila and cavite before moving here in the US...so many advantages....

nice cars SD 328...I live in SD too..
funny we both have same taste on cars..got an Expy EB too (2000 model)...SD E46'ers is having a bbq g2g, hope to see you there...........

Last edited by gruvn; 05-19-2008 at 03:21 AM.
gruvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #8
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvn View Post
hahaha well said EMVY...

i take pride in letting friends know that i learned driving in the streets of manila and cavite before moving here in the US...so many advantages....

nice cars SD 328...I live in SD too..
funny we both have same taste on cars..got an Expy EB too (2000 model)...SD E46'ers is having a bbq g2g, hope to see you there...........
Absolutely, we will all meet at my parents newly built house in Luzon, the pool should be done by the time we are back in the PI, family reunion in November.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #9
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
hahaha ... in a way, there's some truth to this. even bmw has moved to "disconnect" the charging system (i.e., alternator) at times. i guess the cab driver computed how much extra hp he gains or less fuel he consumes saving those 55w x 2 ...
I doubt it .

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
JDE330CI

My Ride: 330ci
i heard it might ran out battery
JDE330CI is offline   Reply With Quote