E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Complete Cars

Complete Cars
List your BMW or other cars, trucks or vehicles for sale.

Don't forget to search for deals on craigslist and eBay Motors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
lokesh_lp

My Ride: None
Unhappy Question abt Sport package?

Hi,

I am new to the BMW community and I have a question regarding Sport package on a 2005 325i Sedan that I am looking to buy. I found this car in a different city and hence had my friend test drive it for me. He said that the suspension was hard and the steering wheel too was not responsive or rather hard(He wasn't really sure of how to explain to me :-( ). I thought these two can be attributed to the Sport package. Correct me if I am wrong. I can understand the suspension being hard, but can anyone tell me how the steering wheel should feel if it is a sport package?

Also, just so that I feel a little peaceful, I would like to know if this is a good deal:
05' 325i Sedan, 6 spd manual, black on black, sport package, 36k miles(warranty valid till dec'08 or 50k miles) and seller(2nd owner) is offering it for $19K. Is this a good deal?

Also, what kind of an extended warranty should I look to buy and from where?

Thanks
A poor soul in need of his Ultimate Driving Machine :-(
lokesh_lp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
in all honesty i wouldn't waste my time on any 325i. personally i rather go with a slightly older 330i or a M3 depending on your budget you won't regret stepping up to the "big league's"

as to your actual question regarding the harshness and steering feel. its hard to judge someone else's input as they may or may not have reputable experience to judge harshness. has your friend even driven another E46 sedan? but if the steering is vague i would see if they can take to a bmw independent dealership and have it inspected. it only costs about 100.00 but piece of mind can be more important if you must must get a 325i.

also this is the for sale section this kind of post should be made in the new member's or general section. hope this helps.

welcome to the forums and if you have any questions feel free to ask
Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
glovesoff

My Ride: 1999 328i
$19k sounds pretty good for an 05 with 36k miles
glovesoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Mike325i

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to Mike325i Send a message via Yahoo to Mike325i
I used to have an 05' 325i and now I drive an 01' 325i. The steering on the 05' was a little stiffer than the 01' but I think that it felt a lot better. I'd say that the steering on the 01' is too loose.

As far as the price goes, I wouldn't pay 19K for a 325i. I would rather buy a slightly older 330 or pay a little more for an M3. Just the other day I was talking to a friend who was buying a zhp for the same price as that 325i, but I can't remember the mileage.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
3seriesbimmer

My Ride: 2002 325i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike325i View Post
I used to have an 05' 325i and now I drive an 01' 325i. The steering on the 05' was a little stiffer than the 01' but I think that it felt a lot better. I'd say that the steering on the 01' is too loose.

As far as the price goes, I wouldn't pay 19K for a 325i. I would rather buy a slightly older 330 or pay a little more for an M3. Just the other day I was talking to a friend who was buying a zhp for the same price as that 325i, but I can't remember the mileage.
In 2001 BMW tried something new with their steering system and it was not well received by critics or fans of BMW. They reverted back to the previous steering set up in 2002 and it carried over until 2006 when it was revised again. All 2001 non M3 3 series with a late 00 build date and 01 build date have a lighter steering feel (slightly more vague) then 99-00 and 02-05.

That being said...I owned an 02 325i Sport and loved it. I also purposely did not drive the 330i because I knew I'd want that more. I was happy with the 7.1 second 0-60 etc. that the 325i gave me. As for the price, 19K sounds like a fair deal on an 05 but like someone said before I think that a slightly older 330i say an 02-04 will give you a bigger smile and it will look virtually the same in age to the 05 325i. The sport package will in deed give you a stiffer ride as the dampers and shocks are revised to give shorter travel and such. It's still no M3 in terms of stiffness but it will feel more taught then a premium package only vehicle.

Just my 2.
3seriesbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
lokesh_lp

My Ride: None
Thanks for all your replies, guys.
I will try to see if I can locate a 330i in that price range.
lokesh_lp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
bmwmedic

My Ride: 323i 99 01 530i sp
FWIW
If you ask someone to test drive a car for you, Have them ask to drive two or three at the same time. Its not much more trouble and usaually if a dealer has one he has a couple, or if its a individual, go to the nearest carmax or stealer. It will INSTANTLY enable him to at least say ... but they ALL do that.
good luck.
bmwmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Iredlinemy///m3

My Ride: 02 M-Roadster|98 M3
You should be able to find an 03 or 04 330ci in that same price range.

I picked up an '04 330ci under CPO warrenty for 17.
Iredlinemy///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote