E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
VAMZ

My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via Yahoo to VAMZ
senior design project!

well the last 2 quarters me and my friend have been working on our senior design project for electrical engineering. It's basically a tank you can control through the internet, its got video feedback and a turret you can fire.

you can switch the gun out for a robotic arm if you want. Diffuse a bomb, open a soda....idno use your imagination.

Heres a youtube link of the first demo we got on vid:

We didn't load the gun with any ammo because we were in a school lab filled with faculty, you can still see the gun recoiling when you instruct it to fire. Ill get a video of it firing real rounds soon, its pretty intense (like scary intense, that thing will leave some serious bruises on you).

I wish we had more time / money to fabricate our own steel casing but we were happy with the results.

anyways hope you enjoy
VAMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
SWEET! I've always wondered about those things controlled through the internet. How do you manage to do that with the controls and video feed, internet connection, etc?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
VAMZ

the video feed sends a signal to the computer on it's own, its independent of the chassis control. The wifi module on the robot is what receives the data when you are using the web browser or whatever to control it. Once the module gets the stream of data it passes it to the micro controller(your chip is already programmed and knows what to do, so if data 10101011111 comes in it will go forward. It will recognize those commands). Once the micro controller gets the stream of data and knows what to do with it, its passed on further the chain of command such as the motor controllers and h bridges that tell the motors and other peripherals what to do.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMZ View Post
the video feed sends a signal to the computer on it's own, its independent of the chassis control. The wifi module on the robot is what receives the data when you are using the web browser or whatever to control it. Once the module gets the stream of data it passes it to the micro controller(your chip is already programmed and knows what to do, so if data 10101011111 comes in it will go forward. It will recognize those commands). Once the micro controller gets the stream of data and knows what to do with it, its passed on further the chain of command such as the motor controllers and h bridges that tell the motors and other peripherals what to do.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
a s u r a 0 s 9
Nikkei is a $lut.

My Ride: is always in a shop
that is awesome!
Old 06-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
Dominancex

My Ride: FA5T 4DR
Send a message via AIM to Dominancex
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMZ View Post
sweet

great job, now i wanna see it shoot ammo.

how accurate is it and its range?

Dominancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
xedk
red@8200

My Ride: S2000
i thought it was like the size of a go kart so i laughed when i saw the youtube video

that's really cool i wish i had the ability to do something like that
xedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
The recoil of the turret doesnt flip it backwards? What kind of rounds are you firing?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
VAMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominancex View Post
sweet

great job, now i wanna see it shoot ammo.

how accurate is it and its range?

its pretty accurate, not the best - we wanted to get the basic gist of the project down first. Robot itself could go to about 328 ft indoors (depending on walls, etc.) and 1000 ft line of sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Eric View Post
The recoil of the turret doesnt flip it backwards? What kind of rounds are you firing?
Turret was secured well within the base of the robot so there wasnt any recoil that we noticed. The wheels are also pretty strong DC motors so they would not be pushed back by the force of the gun. I believe its .177 pointed Remington ammo that was used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keviNpx415 View Post
i thought it was like the size of a go kart so i laughed when i saw the youtube video

that's really cool i wish i had the ability to do something like that
The size that we decided to go for was the most cost effective one. haha I was actually approached by someone building these vehicles on a larger scale right after my presentation to the professors - his company was making them on military APC's. However his were running on standard RC controls, he wanted me to help build a wifi base.

Last edited by VAMZ; 06-07-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
thats awesome! did you name it? I would have.....
Old 06-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
Black107

My Ride: 2002 M3
What kind of board are you using to handle all the IO? I just finished a class where we used Arduino microcontrollers and it was pretty straight forward. We made a Rube Goldberg inspired voting machine as the final class project. Each student was responsible for creating one module that would fit into the sequence of the machine. When the documentation is finished I'll link you.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
fckupayme

My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
sickness

fckupayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #13
guest321_1
Banned User

Can it cook, clean your room, wash the car, and talk to your gf when she gets annoying? If those answers are no then Im not even going to bother watching the vid....

Lol JK.. Nice bot you got there I wish I had the capacity to make one of those. That would be fun. What was the total in expenses if you dont mind telling me?
guest321_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
baybimmer14

My Ride: old:323i new:128i
hey look! its wall-e
baybimmer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #15
patdeezy

My Ride: a grey e46 sedan
Send a message via AIM to patdeezy
very nice man!

you go to UCR right?

REALIE CLUB 2007 - I'M KEEPIN IT REAL!

SPONSORED BY
|SGC Godfather|
KOBE in 2012
patdeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #16
guest321_1
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybimmer14 View Post
hey look! its wall-e
guest321_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #17
VAMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studdly_Studright View Post
thats awesome! did you name it? I would have.....

yes we named it ARES - the god of war, found it fitting haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
What kind of board are you using to handle all the IO? I just finished a class where we used Arduino microcontrollers and it was pretty straight forward. We made a Rube Goldberg inspired voting machine as the final class project. Each student was responsible for creating one module that would fit into the sequence of the machine. When the documentation is finished I'll link you.
we used the hc12 minidragon microcontroller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Panty 33 View Post
Can it cook, clean your room, wash the car, and talk to your gf when she gets annoying? If those answers are no then Im not even going to bother watching the vid....

Lol JK.. Nice bot you got there I wish I had the capacity to make one of those. That would be fun. What was the total in expenses if you dont mind telling me?

we were lucky to get a grant from this engineering firm called northrop grumman. but from our pockets we spent around 600?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m330 View Post
very nice man!

you go to UCR right?
yup.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #18
Gucki83

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
Badass!!
Old 06-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #19
patdeezy