E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 07-05-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
freebs06

My Ride: 2006 Yamaha R6
Looking to switch sides...GM to BMW

Changing Sides and looking at purchasing an E46 M3.

I am looking to purchase an E46 M3, and being some what new to the BMW world, I am looking for some guidance for what to look out for on a used M3. I have been around GMs pretty well all my life from an 1987 Buick GNX, to a 2002 turbo and supercharged sunfire (yes both), all the way up to the new addition; a 2007 Lingenfelter twin turbo Z06. I have recently decided that it is time for a change. Both to try something new and because I am starting up a tuner and fabrication shop and it is great I know my domestics, but I have always wanted to get into the BMWs and Benzs. So what better way then to own and work on them?

I have been browsing threw as many M3 forums on the net that I can find trying to learn anything I can to help me in choosing a used M3 best from all the rest. So far, I have been mainly focusing on 01-03 years just for price sake, but the thing that scares me is the recall I have read about on the connecting rod bearings for the 00-03 M3s. Is it going to be a problem if I buy a car that is off its warranty that has not had this fixed? If it is not done, and I take it into a local BMW dealership after I purchase it would they replace it under the recall? Or should I include this in my search and find one that has had the problem looked after already?
Also I have a problem with keeping cars stock, no matter how quick they are in OEM forum. I was wondering if I were to install a supercharger kit how well do the engines take to supercharger? How much is the supercharger going to effect the daily driving of the car and/reliability? I would not plan on going further then a bolt on supercharger kit (ex engine internal work) to start, but I just love boost and I can not get enough of it.

Any way I hope to learn lots here and hopefully some day be able to offer products to you guys.
freebs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Ineil

My Ride: 2001 M3
Welcome,

I too switch from GM (87 GN) to a used 2001 LSB M3. I sunk big money into my GN and loved it, but it was time for a change. Iam not sure if my car has the recall fix, but I have had little to no problems with it.

New Car
2012 Roush Stage 3 Mustang
Ineil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
freebs06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineil View Post
Welcome,

I too switch from GM (87 GN) to a used 2001 LSB M3. I sunk big money into my GN and loved it, but it was time for a change. Iam not sure if my car has the recall fix, but I have had little to no problems with it.
nice to see another former GN owner
Any advice or things you found out when you were searching for your M3?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Ineil

My Ride: 2001 M3
If at all possible, have it checked by a BMW dealer or certified BMW repair shop.
I was just fortunate, because I did not have mine checked, but the dealer had a very good reputation. I bought it without going to see it first, and had it transported from New Jersey to Maryland. I was appraised for 41k, and I got it for 31k. I have had it for one year now. I have excessive rear tire ware which I am researching, but over all a great car. Make sure the car has it's regular interval checkup/repairs.

New Car
2012 Roush Stage 3 Mustang
Ineil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
freebs06

Thank you for that. I will probably end up using the car buying as a travel excuse as I live in western Canada and have been looking for a car in the California or Florida areas. Mainly for the reason they do not get snow or rust out, and two they are a lot cheaper then you can get them here. For example a 2002 M3 with 40,000-60,000miles on it goes for about $40,000 here.