E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Bushing upgrade opinions...

I'm thinking I'm going to freshen up my suspension sometime next week and I just wanted to get some opinions on what I should get.

Front axle:
FCABs
New Turner adjustable end-links
Studs
Hub extenders

Rear axle:
RTAB Limiters
RTABs
Studs

Details and Links w/ Pictures/Descriptions:
After seeing BlueJeansOnFire's unfortunate incident with the Powerflex FCABs, I'm thinking that I should go with the "M3" variant. Although I'm not one to care too much about vibration transfer, noise, ride quality, etc., I AM concerned about losing a control arm What do you think?

Turner endlinks...there are two kinds...the first is $155.99 for the pair while the second is $99.95 a piece. I'm assuming a pair of the latter is better? Any input? Are there any other BETTER alternatives? So far, I haven't been able to find any.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...MS-ADJ-SBLINKS
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...D=31351134582A

Studs and hub extenders...because I really need them. These are 75mm. I run a 5mm spacer on the front but may run up to a 20mm spacer for some different track wheels I'm looking at. Would these be long enough or should I go with an 80mm or 90mm stud? Also, will the hub extender allow the wheel to be put on properly even if I'm only running a 5mm spacer? Or will it not allow it to contact the hub?
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...DUCT_ID=921051
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TWH9905001

For the rear, I'm looking at the Turner limiter kit paired with Meyle HD bushings. However, I know that Rogue Engineering makes some really good RTABs too. If I get the RE RTABs, should I get the limiters too or would that be redundant? If not, would they make the assembly so stiff that I would be putting a lot of unwanted stress on the trailing-arm mounting points?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TSU9990001
http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...t_Code=RE_RTAB

Additionally, I'm thinking:

SS Clutch Line

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...CT_ID=SSCLC160

Your input would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Last edited by FTWeisse; 07-03-2008 at 05:37 PM.
FTWeisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
FCAB - There are new PF pieces, I have a set, not worried about them.

Endlinks - Do you have the ability to adjust your ride height at each corner? If not, don't bother.

Spacers/studs - This is wheel dependant. You need to make some measurements or trial fit with 1 stud.

RTAB - Get the Polyflex pieces and be done with it. You won't need "limiters" and they are fairly easy to install. (Pulling out the stock RTABs is the PITA) I ran these for a season, they don't feel harsh at all.

SS Clutch line - Don't bother, unless you are looking to launch a 4.5" triple disk clutch and need every iota of feel you can get.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
On your race car? Why no run Sphericals on your car? Or atleast do the TMS/TCK delrin ones...
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post

Your input would be greatly appreciated. TIA
IM or call me dude.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
On your race car? Why no run Sphericals on your car? Or atleast do the TMS/TCK delrin ones...
Um...I have those too.

I have multiples of a lot of things.....cylinder heads, diffs, clutches, suspension bits. I was thinking of drawing the line at 3 intake plenums though...
Old 07-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
FTWeisse

Quote:
Um...I have those too.

I have multiples of a lot of things.....cylinder heads, diffs, clutches, suspension bits. I was thinking of drawing the line at 3 intake plenums though...
lol
Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
FTWeisse

Quote:
Powerflex?

I'll look into it. They're just Poly, right?

Quote:
Endlinks - Do you have the ability to adjust your ride height at each corner? If not, don't bother.
...of course. So which do you think are the better links? I've been getting mixed reviews about them from others...especially regarding the ball-joints. I don't want to call Turner and ask them because from my experiences, their telephone reps are not very knowledgable...and biased, at that.

Quote:
Spacers/studs - This is wheel dependant. You need to make some measurements or trial fit with 1 stud.
I figured that would be the case...never hurts to ask.

Quote:
RTAB - Get the Polyflex pieces and be done with it. You won't need "limiters" and they are fairly easy to install. (Pulling out the stock RTABs is the PITA) I ran these for a season, they don't feel harsh at all.
I'll also look into these...

Quote:
SS Clutch line - Don't bother, unless you are looking to launch a 4.5" triple disk clutch and need every iota of feel you can get.
Drove my buddy's car and I did like the stiffer pedal feel...since it's only $30 or so, I'll probably just get it as a commodity.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
E46Tom

My Ride: 2011 e90M
For endlinks another option would be Mason engineering, they sell spherical bearing front and rear adjustable endlinks for 145 or so a set. I would have gotten em but i already ordered the TMS ones.
E46Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
For the rear, just buy the off the shelf spherical bushings (upper inner rear control arm and rear toe). Get solid subframe bushings and use a lower rear control arm that made of aluminum so when you wreck the car, the bar bends and you don't destroy the trailing arm. Then buy the rear outer upper control arm bushings and install them in the outer lower control arm position.

At that point, you'll have a solid rear suspension ready for the track.

For me, I can't do that so I have to run my delrin ones that meet the letter of the law but cost a fortune to make.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
For the rear, just buy the off the shelf spherical bushings (upper inner rear control arm and rear toe). Get solid subframe bushings and use a lower rear control arm that made of aluminum so when you wreck the car, the bar bends and you don't destroy the trailing arm. Then buy the rear outer upper control arm bushings and install them in the outer lower control arm position.

At that point, you'll have a solid rear suspension ready for the track.

For me, I can't do that so I have to run my delrin ones that meet the letter of the law but cost a fortune to make.
I think that's what I've done? Except my lower control arm is the steel GC piece...hmmmm