E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
Do I have Sport Suspension??

This will sound like a dumb question but I don't know if I have a sport suspension package or not. I need to change my shocks so I just want to make sure so I can buy the right shocks.

I bought my '99 328i used in 2001 so I don't know exactly what the deal with it is. I bought it from a dealer and they said that they thought that sport suspension may have been installed by the original dealer. It is clear that the car is lowered a little ways - perhaps an inch or more. But does a lowered BMW mean that it has sport suspension or could it just simply be ...lowered suspension.

Is there any sure-fire way to know? The spinrgs are Eibach's and I can see one of them has this number on it: 2067002. But, that didn't seem to help me as I looked through Eibach's web site but couldn't find any reference to this number.

Any ideas?
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
do you have bucket seats? or as they say "the seats with the lumbar support"

the only way to tell on a sedan (without taking the suspension apart) is to have sports package
Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
JJR4884

sorry for the horrible pic, but if your seats look like this, then yes you have it

Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
JJR4884

wow i really have sucky pics of my seats haha

Old 07-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #5
mooninite

My Ride: M3, 325i
The 3-bar steering wheel is also a sign of the sports package. 4-bars are not sports.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
drifting328ci

My Ride: 2000 328CI
Factory Options

Not sure if all dealerships are so friendly but just the other day, the parts service manager keyed in my VIN # and all the factory options came up. That might be the surest way to find out if you have the sports suspension.
drifting328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
eweis

Thanks for the pics and replies. I did some more digging and took some photos .

I have some paperwork from my purchase and it indicates that there were some items that were "dealer installed" on top of the factory delivered options. These items are described as "Special Order BMW Motor Sports" options including alloy wheels, aerodynamics, chrome trim and suspension package. So, this could explain why my seats are just the regular seats (see attached) and my steering wheel is a four spoker while the suspension is essentially the sports package.

I also included a photo to show you the car's height. Maybe you can tell that it's lower than others. It is probably hard to see the tape measure in the photo but the bottom of the body is 5 inches from the floor and the bottom of the rocker panel is more like 4.5 inches from the floor. Is this much lower than anyone else's?

So, if this is the sports suspension, the next question is which shocks to get; not just brand but also the replacement part number. My fronts have part numbers of 31.31 1 095 912 for the right and 31.31 1 095 911 for the left. The rear shocks have 33.52 1 096 366 on the left and 33.52 1 095 913 on the right. But, I'm having a terrible time trying to find any online stores that have any of these part numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5031.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	277334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5026-3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	277335  
Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
I have a 2001 330i that did not come with the sport package, no sport seats, no ///M sport steering wheel, and I have sport shocks all around. Best way is to get down there like you said and get the part number off of the shock. slap that part number into pelican parts or bmwfans.info and see if they are the sport shock number. I'd do it for you, but way too tired to bother.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
trizzuth

i guess i wasn't as lazy as I thought, but you're right, I don't see your specific part numbers listed here. This is for a June made 1999 328i. Try doing this over for the specific month your car was made, maybe it will have them then?

http://bmwfans.info/original/E46/Lim...1/ill-31_0407/
Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
trizzuth

interesting. when i went to pelican parts, it said this:

your original front strut part number: 31.31 1 095 912

was superceded by this part number: 31311096854

that part number was superceded by this part number: 31316759562

that part number on pelican parts comes back with a Boge right front strut insert for a non-sport suspension car.

so there's your answer!

yes, I am parts master.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #11
eweis

Thanks for your sleuthing trizzuth - you are truly a "parts master"

I was able to do the same thing as you suggested and saw the newer part numbers at Pelican Parts. So, yes, it does seem as though mine is not using sport shocks even though my car is lowered and it supposedly does have "sports suspension". Not sure why this is though I did find over at BavAuto that their sport suspension Sachs shocks are "Only For Vehicles With Factory Sport Suspension" and mine was not factory installed so maybe that's the difference. So, I guess I will go ahead and go with the regular duty shocks/struts on all four corners.

Any advice on anything else I should replace directly related to the shocks? I did find that one of my rear shock mounts was pretty well shot so I'm getting a pair of those.