E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2003, 11:09 PM   #1
whjeffs

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330Ci
Where did you dynamat?

To those of you with a lot of bass, where did you apply dynamat or other sound dampening material? I have 100 sq ft of Brown Bread sound dampening on the way for the new car and just looking for direction as to what parts of the car need the most attention. I plan on doing the trunk lid, door panels, and rear deck. Anywhere else?

Here's a pic of how my trunk will be setup. There will be a JL 300/2 on the left side to power the front speakers. I hooked the sub and amp up temporarily today and there are a lot of rattles!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	105_0558.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	54928  

Jeff
04 Silver Gray 330Ci
Alpine ics-x7HD
a/d/s 346is
JL Audio 300/2
JL Audio 500/1
(2) Image Dynamics ID8V.3-D4
whjeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:33 PM   #2
ken330i
E46 Fever God

My Ride: F2 dumped
Send a message via AIM to ken330i
i m sure any audio shop sells dynamat. they should install it for you. i got mine done at stereo1 in city of industry. i just did the trunk lid. it makes 500% difference. make sure you also dynamat the license plate so it doesn't rattle.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:23 PM   #3
badwayz

My Ride: BMW's
I just dynomatted my car and it is a pain in the ass, but easy enough to do on your own. the local stereo shop here wanted $250 to do mine.
I did the entire trunk. i put two layers of dynomat anywhere there was carpet, (including where the spare tire sits and under the trunk lid, and inside the rear corner panels) also I did under the license plate. I didnt do my doors because they have a layer of foam insulation to keep out road noise and I dont have any rattles, so that can be done later if needed.
badwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:15 AM   #4
ken330i
E46 Fever God

that's good. i dont want to do the whole trunk becuz the material costs too much. most importantly, the resonance comes from the trunk lid, if you seal it with dynamat, it should deaden the rattles. i m surprised this thingy does work

btw, where do you buy the dynomat cheap?
Old 06-03-2003, 05:48 AM   #5
whjeffs

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330Ci
http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

This is where I ordered mine from but through an ebay auction. I did some searching and this stuff is supposed to be better than Dynamat Extreme and it is MUCH cheaper.
I am doing all the work myself. I have been doing my own installs for 13 years. I just needed some ideas as to where these cars need the most sound deadening. There did not seem to be much vibration from the outside of the car but inside the vibration was louder than the bass!

Jeff
04 Silver Gray 330Ci
Alpine ics-x7HD
a/d/s 346is
JL Audio 300/2
JL Audio 500/1
(2) Image Dynamics ID8V.3-D4
whjeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:06 AM   #6
BigRain
^_^

My Ride: 316i
whjeffs,

You mind post some pics of your sub enclosure and how it was built? Did you DIY or have someone else did it for you? If so, how much did it cost? I was just thinking of that setup just yesterday and I don't know if it's difficult to do or not.

TIA.

'02 Ti Ag 4dr : 99% stock
BigRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #7
Temonio

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Yeah, I'm looking for a similar setup. I like the fact that you can still use your trunk. by the way, do you have rear fold down seats?
Old 06-03-2003, 11:02 AM   #8
ken330i
E46 Fever God

Quote:
Originally posted by whjeffs
http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

This is where I ordered mine from but through an ebay auction. I did some searching and this stuff is supposed to be better than Dynamat Extreme and it is MUCH cheaper.
I am doing all the work myself. I have been doing my own installs for 13 years. I just needed some ideas as to where these cars need the most sound deadening. There did not seem to be much vibration from the outside of the car but inside the vibration was louder than the bass!
most of the rattling comes from the rear deck, trunk lid and license plate. i like crazy bass, but too much would make my rear deck rumble like crazy. wonder if i can do something about it. btw, thanks for the link. i will take a look at it when i get back home. oh yea, post a pic of your subs.