E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2003, 08:47 AM   #1
Purplem3pursuit

My Ride: 99 M3
Send a message via AIM to Purplem3pursuit
sub install

i need help with the subs/box i built.. i now wanna install them but am not sure how.. just need alittle instruction.. first off.. i wanna run my RCA cables through the center console.. does anyone know how to do that in an E36? also.. how should i wire my amp to the pair of polk momo MM100's.. its a 2 channel MTX amp.. pushing something 800watts.. not a new one.. then... how do i get my power hooked up.. do i unhook the battery by the + or - end? do i need to sand down the spot for my ground in the trunk floor so that i get a good solid connection? u guys can basically tell i have not done this before.. but im willing to try.. i have the background on electricity etc (mechanical engineer).. but just wanna make sure i do this the right way.. thanks for ur help..

Alex
Moderator @ M3forum.com
Purplem3pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
BGReddy00
09 X5

My Ride: 2009 X5
first you need to buy a wiring kit that comes with power, ground, rca's, remote wire....another thing you might need is a convertor box if you dont have an aftermarket headunit with RCA's built in the back of it...post if you have a stock headunit or not and then I will be able to give you fuller details...as far as the power you will need a remote wire splicted into the remote wire on your headunit and you will also need a power wire running from your battery in the trunk to the amp..the ground can go anywhere that has metal on your car, but make sure the remote,power, and ground never touch each other...
Old 05-26-2003, 11:15 PM   #3
Purplem3pursuit

thanks for responding.. i have a wiring kit and an aftermarket headunit (its in my sig).. there is a wire in between my RCA cables... is that for the remote? also.. with regards to the wiring.. how exactly do i connect everything without electricuting myself.. thanks for ur help

Alex
Moderator @ M3forum.com
Old 05-26-2003, 11:39 PM   #4
SilverGrey330
BMW: Best Thing on 4 Wheels

My Ride: 03SilverGrey330i SP
Send a message via AIM to SilverGrey330
DISCONECT THE BATTERY, no power sroce in aa circuit means no electuction. and yes the little wire is the remote wire, ( i learded the hard ya) you ahve to connect that to the anttena power out line from the head unit, it is what tells the amp to turn on and off, cus otherwise it wont come on ever, really annoying when you dont relize that that is your peoblem.

But you shoudl know rule one of doing elctrical work in a house car boat or where ever, always turn off the power sorce

Sorry if i am comign off like an a$$ when i say that, i really dont mean to be, i just know form expiece electrication is really no fun
Old 05-27-2003, 12:14 AM   #5
BGReddy00
09 X5

My Ride: 2009 X5
ok so take the headunit out and plug the rcas into the back of it then yes the remote wire is probably the wire inbetween the two rca's take that and splice it with your remote wire on your headunit...I dont have a wiring diagram for an e36 but I know on e46 its solid white...but once u have all that hooked in just shine a flashlight to the left and pull the wires from underneath your steering column and then run it to the drivers side trim...what I actually did was run it from the trunk first then to the sterring column and go up but either way works..then plug the rcas into the amp and run the remote into the amp in its spot then run your ground onto something metal in your car, but I wouldnt do the battery...then finally hook the power cable from your battery to your amp and you should be good!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:42 AM   #6
Purplem3pursuit

so im to pull the + end of the battery cable.. or -.. i guess thats most of my ? now.. i think i have the rest.. u have been most helpful with ur descriptions.. thanks for talking the time to answer my ?'s.. i can't wait to get her up and running..

Alex
Moderator @ M3forum.com
Old 05-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #7
Temonio

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
I'm not sure if this a good idea

We're all Bimmer fam on here so don't take this the wrong way...

You seem like you don't have enough expirience in hooking up systems to try this yourself. I know as men, we don't like paying for sh!t we can build ourselves, but I think you should get some help on this one. I'm also saying this from expirience. I shorted out the the electrical system in my galant just by sneezing (lets just say that the ground wire is a very bad, bad thing to be swinging around all willy nilly) Someone you know has to be pretty good at this get them to come over and walk you through it. Good Luck!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 11:15 PM   #8
Purplem3pursuit

yeah.. i think thats going to happen.. i can honestly say i know jack about stereos.. i can build the box.. and things like that.. but the stereo is not my depo.. i do engine work.. but yeah i got a friend lined up to do it.. hes done a bunch.. thanks for the input

Alex
Moderator @ M3forum.com
Old 06-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #9
330Bimmer3

My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via AIM to 330Bimmer3
Give the man some credit, it sounds like he knows enough to pull this one off. You wanna disconnect the positive wire off of the main battery, not sure where its located in a e36 but in my e46 its in the trunk. Ground the amp somewhere to the chassis, make sure theres no paint and if there is you would want to sand that down. The rca's and the remote can run from the front of the car to the trunk however you want them too. It would be a good idea to dynomat the trunk and the rear deck, even if it isn't rattling at first, believe me it will. Best of luck to you, I also have had no experence with installing systems and I've done 4 of them now and have never had any problems.

Current: 2006 BMW ///M3 Vert | Black, Black | SMG | 19" CSL Concave

Previous: 2001 BMW 330Ci | Steal Grey, Black | Dinan Stage 3 | B&B Exhaust | Bel Installed | (2) JL W6v2 (2) JL 500w | Rear Spoiler | 30% Tint
330Bimmer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:22 PM   #10
Temonio

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally posted by 330Bimmer3
Give the man some credit, it sounds like he knows enough to pull this one off.
I understand completely. It really isn't that hard at all. I was just saying he should do it the first time with someone that knows how. I got help with my first one and I haven't dared to pay someone to hook my sh!t up.