E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Just got wheel studs...questions...

Just got my set of BBS studs in the mail. I'm confused because they don't have an end to screw them in with. What I mean is that the outside ends of the studs don't have an input for an alen or torx key to tighten them. So what gives? Do I just tighten them down by hand with a little bit of loctite?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Use two lug nuts. Thread one on to the stud and then thread the other one on till it is tight against the first. Then you can torque them down.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
They shouldn't need to be torqued down, hand tight should be enough. If for some odd reason you can't hand tighten them you can do the double nut method. Also, clean the hub threads thoroughly with brake parts cleaner and the loctite will work much better.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Double nut is the way to go. I tighten the poop out of them and use red Loctite. For me, we do at speed tire changes and I have learned many moons ago, that having a stud back out during a pit stop, is a real downer.

If you are not going to do at speed tire changes, don't use too much Loctite. Seems that most people end up keeping their studs when they sell the car. If and when that time comes and you are having difficulty removing the studs, you'll have to take the rotors off and heat the hub with a torch (one you use for sweating pipes).
Old 07-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
FTWeisse

Thanks a ton, guys. Off to work I go
Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
FlzRider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: AW 1M
What a newb

FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
FTWeisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider View Post
What a newb

____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____
I got everything buttoned up just a little bit ago. Didn't get a chance to get started 'till about 9:30 tonight and finished by midnight...but that includes dinner, lazy time, phone calls, and waiting for the loctite to set. All in all I probably put in about 2 hours worth of work...I wanted to make sure that everything was perfect as it was my first time installing studs and I didn't want to risk any of them coming loose - items installed were studs, hub extenders, & spacers. Anyways, I took some pictures of the work...nothing impressive but whatever.

Brake Cleaner, 75mm Studs, & 17mm Nuts (I forgot to take pics of the hub extenders before I stated...sorry )

Front Axle Done...you also see the 5mm spacer I need for caliper clearance and the TMS hub extender.

Rear Axle...since I took the hub covers off the front hubs to install the hub extenders, I figured I'd install them in the rear since the hubs are exposed and were pretty nasty - so I cleaned them up and installed the covers.

So that's it - no biggie. Can't wait to go to the track and throw on the other set of wheels...should be a breeze now

Last edited by FTWeisse; 07-16-2008 at 01:28 AM.
FTWeisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 AM   #8
elite53

Can those be cut down a bit to make them more flush with the rims? Maybe that defeats the purpose. Just wondering.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #9
FTWeisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
Can those be cut down a bit to make them more flush with the rims? Maybe that defeats the purpose. Just wondering.
The purpose of studs is not only to simplify wheel changing, but also to allow thicker spacers to be used. So, for instance, this length allows me to go up to a 12 or 15mm spacer if I decide to go with a different wheel and tire package. IMHO, the extra length does make the studs easier to work with - it gives the wheel more room to come off/go on so it's less likely you'll accidentally slam it on the face of the caliper if it falls off the studs during changes.

Last edited by FTWeisse; 07-16-2008 at 02:07 AM.
FTWeisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
elite53

What did you finally decide on as far as tightening them them down? Did you torque them tight or just snug them down and loctite them?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
FTWeisse

I doubled-up the nuts and used red (271) loctite.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #12
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
I doubled-up the nuts and used red (271) loctite.
Did you torque them(how much?) down or just go until the thread bottomed out?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
FTWeisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
Did you torque them(how much?) down or just go until the thread bottomed out?
Just went until the thread bottomed out...once they bottomed out the nuts would just start spinning together so that's where I left it. I checked to make sure that the inner part of the studs weren't hitting anything behind the hub - there was tons of clearance. I just made sure I used a good amount of the red stuff. Seem pretty good to ya?
Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
Just went until the thread bottomed out...once they bottomed out the nuts would just start spinning together so that's where I left it. I checked to make sure that the inner part of the studs weren't hitting anything behind the hub - there was tons of clearance. I just made sure I used a good amount of the red stuff. Seem pretty good to ya?
Yes.