E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
ZimZimma24

My Ride: 2006 325 Ci
Send a message via Skype™ to ZimZimma24
Lease of Finance: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si

I am the type of person that LOOOOOOOOOVES to change cars every couple of years. Leasing would be great but there are two things that are stopping me:

1. There are 2 things I would do to my car to make it more "me": 5% tints and some nice shoes. I don't want a lease to stop me from doing this.

2. I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE to drive and I hate the thought of having to count my miles so as not to go over the lease agreement.

I just bought my 2006 325Ci last September and now I want to get the new X5 but I don't know if I want to finance or lease. I'm talking to a dealer now that says I can finance through BMW @ 0.9% for the 2008 X5 with the options I've speced out via "Build Your Own" with a 7% mark off MSRP. So, theoretically I'm paying 1% off MSRP because sales tax is 6% where I'm from. I've never leased before so I really don't know how to negotiate terms as well as I can when financing (I simply talk "out the door" prices).

If there are any experts in this area please chime in. TIA.

ZimZimma24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Gucki83

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
Nice choice! If you'll be "over it" in 3 years, just lease it and give it back
Old 07-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
I agree, I too go thru cars and am interested in leasing eventually once I get done with my Range. I suggest leasing as well.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
ianbiz

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
Id do a lease, but I drive too much (~20k a year).

ianbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
E46_SoKOR_328I

My Ride: --
If I had the option to lease my X5, I would've done so.

1. I would fully load a leased vehicle. Because you won't be able to modify it, it's best to have all the factory doo-dads. Possibly upgrade to the 4.8i (grab the Sports Package and 20" rims). Most dealers will allow tint (since it can be removed.

2. Unless you *KNOW* that you're going to exceed the lease mileage restrictions, the limits should be more than enough. See how much they're willing to work with you. Most dealers will allow you more miles than what they initially advertise with a slight increase in your rates. Besides, if you go over the limit, it doesn't cost much to pay the "over mileage".
Lenses: Nikon 14-24mm, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR1 w/ RRS foot, 105mm f/2.8 VR
Mobile Lighting: SB-900, SC-29, Lumiquest Softbox III, Manfrotto 12' lightstand, Westcott 60" conv. umbrella.
Bag: TTP Urban Disguise 50 v2
Support: Gitzo 2330 w/ RRS BH-40.
E46_SoKOR_328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
ZimZimma24

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_SoKOR_328I View Post
Besides, if you go over the limit, it doesn't cost much to pay the "over mileage".
Interesting you say this. My research has told me that this is what causes most leasers to become the dealer's bitsh. But I'm sure each manufacturer has their own terms so it's definately something to look in to.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
czechchamp

My Ride: IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_SoKOR_328I View Post
If I had the option to lease my X5, I would've done so.

1. I would fully load a leased vehicle. Because you won't be able to modify it, it's best to have all the factory doo-dads. Possibly upgrade to the 4.8i (grab the Sports Package and 20" rims). Most dealers will allow tint (since it can be removed.

2. Unless you *KNOW* that you're going to exceed the lease mileage restrictions, the limits should be more than enough. See how much they're willing to work with you. Most dealers will allow you more miles than what they initially advertise with a slight increase in your rates. Besides, if you go over the limit, it doesn't cost much to pay the "over mileage".
Says who...? Of course you can modify it, just keep the stock parts.

With this being said, l wouldn't lease a car without corporate benefits.

Good luck, X5s are pretty nice!

2001 330i Sport | Manual | ASA | DICE | H&R | StopTech | ZHP rack | SOLD
czechchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
bmwproboi05

My Ride: accord
my sister just got one. She was gonna lease again, but they had 2.0 or 2.9 apr so she decided to buy it an trade it in later

missing the life of an m
bmwproboi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Kenny@JleviSW
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: JB E90 335
Send a message via AIM to Kenny@JleviSW
If you don't know or like the mileage restriction then you should buy. You don't really have to know exact what you're going drive per year though as long as you stay within a range. For example, if you've owned your current car for 3 years and it now has 36,000 miles then you probably drove 12k a year. You can sign up for a 12k miles per year lease and buy more miles if you need them. Other than that you should buy. Keep in mind that you might end up losing more depreciation if the market values drop on the car.
Kenny@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
my dad just got a 08 X5, its a great car! I would just lease it 3 yrs and if you like it afterwards you can aways buy off your lease.

As for aftermarket wheels, you can always sell them back for used.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wonder View Post
my dad just got a 08 X5, its a great car! I would just lease it 3 yrs and if you like it afterwards you can aways buy off your lease.

As for aftermarket wheels, you can always sell them back for used.
+1

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
ZimZimma24

[This is the first time actually writing the following numbers down...disturbing to say the least]

Yeah, well, I bought my 2006 325Ci in September 2007 with only 8,000 miles on her. Two 2,600 mile trips from FL to Albany, NY and one trip from FL to Knoxville, TN and I just reached 24,000 miles...16,000 in ten months! Damn!

But they were 16,000 AWESOME miles driven!

I drive to the office 5 times a week. It is 15 miles one way so that's 30 miles per day averaging 150 miles per week or 7,800 miles per year JUST TO DRIVE TO THE OFFICE! On the weekends, I normally drive around some place so let's say I put on another 100 miles leaving me with a grand total of 13,000 miles annually.

Looking at it this way, that doesn't leave me much time to truly take advantage of my driving experience and it surely doesn't look like I'd be a good candidate to lease.

Uggggghhhhh...I just don't know! I'll have to see what the difference is between a 12,000 and 15,000 mile lease, etc.

Thanks all for your thoughts.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #13
aaronu
Content free since 1994

My Ride: Nothing. I ride.
Some lease returns are very casual. Others, they look for door dings, curb rash, etc... a friend got dinged for not having enough tread remaining on the tires.

So with that in mind, lease the rig and add aftermarket rims. Keep the stock rims put away and put them on before you drop off the car.

Also -- tint shops can remove tint just as easily as installing it.

With the economy as it is, I'd be leery of going anywhere near an SUV. My SUV year and model sells for $10k under KBB "good" right now.

2004 Mazda RX-8 6MT, Nordic Green
aaronu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #14
kev3.0

My Ride: 2003 330i, 2008 335i
I actually used to work for a Toyota Dealer. I used to do leasing. Leasing is good idea for you because if you like to switch cars every couple of years there is no point in taking a hit with depreciation also dealers will kill you on trade in for SUVs (personal experience). The key behind leasing is more car for less payment. Check out the money factor and the residual value. These two numbers are the most important. The money factor will determine the interest rate on the loan, while the residual value will state the value of the car at the end of the lease. The higher the residual and lower the money factor, the lower the payment. To determine the interest rate w/ a money factor, take the money factor and multiply it by 24. In your situation I would also take a look at financing because that is a great rate, but if you are going to get rid of it in a couple of years do not expect anything for resale. Mileage wise you should be fine, the difference b/w 12K and 15K on Toyotas is $7/month on BMWs it should be $15-20 max. If you feel you might go over buy more miles, the extra miles are expensive. Modding wise be careful, sometime you can get screwed if the dealership is gay.

Last edited by kev3.0; 07-16-2008 at 10:32 PM.
kev3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #15
Solo118

My Ride: '12 MDX, '03 CLK500
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
I have been leasing for the past 8 years, its been great especially if you dont have the cash to buy the car outright. My zhp went back, but with 0 down and paying neary 600 a month I did not complain

Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote