E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2003, 02:50 AM   #1
JaredTown

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325ci
I want more bass... What do I buy?

Hey guys... I am looking for some more bass in my stereo. I do not have the HK system, but I need to know what I would need to buy, and how I could hook it up to the stock headunit. I don't really want to spend anymore than around $500, but I don't want to "bump at the stoplight". What do you pros suggest I do?
19" BBS CH Rims
GruppeM Carbon Fiber Air Intake
UUC TSE2 Exhaust System - when they ship
JaredTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:14 AM   #2
ken330i
E46 Fever God

My Ride: F2 dumped
Send a message via AIM to ken330i
if you don't need that much bass, get 2 - 10" JL w3. but, u need an amp to boost them. I used to have those in my trunk and they give just enough bass. as for me, i need something more. good luck.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:06 AM   #3
JaredTown

Thanks for the sub info. But what kind of amp should I get? How would I wire it in to the stock system?
19" BBS CH Rims
Old 05-28-2003, 02:10 AM   #4
BGReddy00
09 X5

My Ride: 2009 X5
500 is a tight budget but I just bought all brand new pioneer stuff and Im happy with it and it ran me under 500 for pioneer-x972 amp $131 and pioneer 600 watt sub$60...built the box myself ran about 40 bucks in materials...and amp kit was 36 bucks....
Old 05-28-2003, 02:18 AM   #5
JaredTown

Wink

Well $500 is actually a nice number, but I would not mind going above that for nice stuff. After all it is a BMW... not a civic! Can I ask you how you wired it in to your stereo? I assume you have the stock head unit...
19" BBS CH Rims
Old 05-28-2003, 12:40 PM   #6
daz

My Ride: 2003 Bmw Coupe 330ci
Send a message via AIM to daz
yes Iwould like To know Too! FAM in the Same boat!have a standard OEM stereo .I want More bass. What Do you Guys recommend ?Really Want to keep the OEM Unit . JUST add MORE bass !
Old 05-28-2003, 10:50 PM   #7
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
u acn get thje older model jl line for pretty cheap. 100 bucks a sub.. w0 or w3. spend the rest on a nice d-class amp.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:51 PM   #8
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
someone over at another board was looking for a similar solution (maintain the head unit, upgrade the bass a bit):

$650: Rockford 301S, 3JL 8" subs in a box professionally installed
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:46 AM   #9
trickedturbo

My Ride: Awaiting 330ci
If i were you, i would get a JL W7 or IDmax or Brahma. Spending money on that one sub will be well worth it, it will outhit 2-3 old jl's that you can get for the same price of one of the subs i listed plus they will have better sound quality. You can get a 10 inch w7 for like 400 and spend 300 for good amp and you will be set or spend three hundred somthing for the idmax and brahma and get a revo 1500 amp.

O forgot to mention, are you looking for spl, spl/sq/or sq? Because if you are just looking for spl and dont care about sound quality get kicker l7 solobarics, they hit really hard!
Old 05-29-2003, 08:16 AM   #10
Temonio

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
If you're looking for good subs for the money, do an e-bay search for "kicker solo-baric." They're selling like hotcakes on there. You can get a set of 12L5's for a little over $200 or the 12L7's for about a hundred bucks more. There are several people on here that can give you all the info you need on them...trust me,they'll hit hard enough. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2003, 12:53 AM   #11
wildpanda86

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I am curious about this too... cause i want more bass also.

What if i spent money on good subs but powered it with a bazooka amp until i upgrade the rest of the system with speakers and a better amps? The Bazooka class D amps are pretty cheap and they put out enough watts rms to power the better subs.
wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:13 PM   #12
x-reality

My Ride: SSII E90 M3
What kind of AMP would you recomen. to run these two subs?

thanks

Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by Temonio
If you're looking for good subs for the money, do an e-bay search for "kicker solo-baric." They're selling like hotcakes on there. You can get a set of 12L5's for a little over $200 or the 12L7's for about a hundred bucks more. There are several people on here that can give you all the info you need on them...trust me,they'll hit hard enough. Good luck!
AA Software || AA High Flow Race Cats || AA X-Pipe & Connecting Pipes || Eisenmann Race Exhaust || AA Pulleys || AFE Oiled Air Filter || UUC SSK || 360 Forged Spec-5 20's || RD Springs|| VRS CF Boot Lid || Lumina Eye Lids || CF BMW Emblem || Matte BMW Grill || Matte BMW Fender Vents || 7000K Headlight bulbs || LED Interior Bulbs || 20% tint all around || Rear Fog Light Mod || LED Rear Turn Signals
x-reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:22 PM   #13
x-reality

My Ride: SSII E90 M3
would a Kicker KX1200.1 sound about right?
AA Software || AA High Flow Race Cats || AA X-Pipe & Connecting Pipes || Eisenmann Race Exhaust || AA Pulleys || AFE Oiled Air Filter || UUC SSK || 360 Forged Spec-5 20's || RD Springs|| VRS CF Boot Lid || Lumina Eye Lids || CF BMW Emblem || Matte BMW Grill || Matte BMW Fender Vents || 7000K Headlight bulbs || LED Interior Bulbs || 20% tint all around || Rear Fog Light Mod || LED Rear Turn Signals
x-reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #14
Temonio

that should work just fine! I've been debating this one for a while. Everyon on this board has their own loyalties to companies. I'm a "how'd it sound when I heard it in someone else's car" kinda guy myself. You can grab a fosgate bd1000 and it'll push'em pretty good too!(but make sure it's not this years model...they're sh!tty from what I hear). The JL 500/1 or better yet the 1000/1, are the best I've heard, but they're pretty costly. What ever you get, just make sure that it's stable at a 2ohm load. both of those speakers in a two ohm load with right amp can change your heartbeat!
Old 06-02-2003, 05:05 PM   #15
TDing525i

My Ride: 2002 BMW 525i
Here's an inexpensive option.

Or, for closer to $500:

1 x Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 RFD2212 @ $166 or so

+

Alpine MRD-M500 V12 AccuClass-D Mono Amplifier @ $349 or so

Sounds like you're not looking for a huge system or anything. I think that one 500W sub will be plenty for ya. Plus, you'll actually be able to use your trunk still.
TDing525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:45 PM   #16
JaredTown

Has anyone seen these???

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/3series2.html
19" BBS CH Rims
Old 06-02-2003, 08:31 PM   #17
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally posted by JaredTown
Has anyone seen these???

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/3series2.html
I was wondering about the same thing. I just want a little bass and wanted to get the stealthboxes cause they are a clean install. Are these good additions for some bass increase with the stock non-hk system? Also what amp do u guys recommend? BTW I dont wanna change the HU...
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:46 AM   #18
Temonio

Quote:
Originally posted by TDing525i
Here's an inexpensive option.

Or, for closer to $500:

1 x Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 RFD2212 @ $166 or so

+

Alpine MRD-M500 V12 AccuClass-D Mono Amplifier @ $349 or so

Sounds like you're not looking for a huge system or anything. I think that one 500W sub will be plenty for ya. Plus, you'll actually be able to use your trunk still.
Good advice. that should do'em just fine. It's good to see someone else who knows how to bump on a budget. From what I've heard about the stealthboxes, they sound "OK." The best thing about the 1 12inch idea is that if the sub isn't strong enough for you, you can upgrade rather easily..with slealthboxes, jl has that market cornered so what you get is all you'll get.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:25 PM   #19
Murgen

My Ride: 330ci
How easy is it to hook up to the OEM head unit. I'm assuming pretty easy for a professional? Sorry I'm totally ignorant when it comes to car stereo.
Work is the scourge of the drinking class
Murgen is offline   Reply With Quote