E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
SoSoGuju

My Ride: Steel Gray 330ci
i just blew my solobaric???

i have a kicker solobaric 12" L7 and just installed a RF bd1000 amp (i was running it with a RF 200.1 amp and it wasnt enough) ok well i turned it up and it sounded like a completely different sub, my whole car shook... worked great for about 30 mins to an hour then after leaving my friends house where i installed it i lost all bass. i pulled off the freeway and checked the wiring and stuff but nuttin... got back in and restarted everytin and it worked for like 20-30 seconds then quit again.

when i got it home i opened up the sub box (sealed) and there was smoke up in there like an electrical burn... and it hasnt worked since... i know the subs have a max rms of 750 but ive known a lot of people runnin 1200.1 amps in a sub like this... where did i go wrong... it was like the sub overheated....

HELP!!!

oh yea... if i dont wanna blow another sub but want more bass do i have to buy 2 subs to make it louder but share the power???
SoSoGuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:05 PM   #2
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

My Ride: ASA ACS 3.0 Cabrio
lol this thread can go on for a long time.... but yea you blew it. when u turn up the "gain" on the amps it doesnt provide a constant wattage to the sub. so basically what happened was the amp pushed say 600W of power for awhile durring a musical sequence, but the gain is set to a level beyond that. so when a musical peak happened... the wattage goes to 900W inorder to play that sequence. the RMS on the sub is 750 so beyond that is Peak power territory. Thats why prolonged power beyond 750 will overheat the voicecoil, and lastly, melt and seize the sub, hence blown sub. and thats what you saw from the smoke and stench.

in the future, i'd suggest you tune ur amps both by listening and visually. you can clearly tell when a sub is being overpowered. adjust it at a volume you listen to normally. then keep that in mind. beacuse certain songs have stronger bass thanothers. so sometimes u have to adjust the bass on ur headunit to compensate. Lastly, the crossovers on the amps can have a big effect on the efficiency of the amp and the clearity of the sub. usually cut off points are around 80hz. anything above it would seem BOOMY, anyting below it, will be cutting off some bass tones. so play around with it.

Tuning a system is an art. and needs to be tailored to each indvidual listeners taste. It's an endless ongoing process.

Have fun. Just be easy on the "gain"
lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
ken330i
E46 Fever God

My Ride: F2 dumped
Send a message via AIM to ken330i
mike sounds like my engineer couse professor. have you had some tea, lately? good explaination, btw.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:23 AM   #4
djabaley
does anyone read my p0sts?

My Ride: 325 slushbox
How to set gain, lesson 1:

First, gain DOES NOT EQUAL a volume control. Gain is a feature implemented to acheive maximum sound quality and minimum distortion at a given volume level. What is the loudest comfortable volume where you would listen to your music? Ok, find that and put on some bass. Now, go to your amp and turn the gain all the way down. Adjust the gain slowly upwards until you hear the sub(s) start to distort. Distortion in subs can mainly be heard through shaking and vibration and generally not sounding right. If you cannot identify distortion (like if you can't tell how factory systems distort at higher volume) stop reading this and go to a stereo shop. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you. Anyway, basically the way one adjusts gain is to minimize distortion at a desired volume level. For example, my system is set to sound its best at volume level 40 (40 means nothing, just an example). If I were to enter a SQL comp., I would play at volume level 40. I hope this helps.

PS...lilherc79 knows his system tuning
djabaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:16 PM   #5
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

My Ride: ASA ACS 3.0 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally posted by djabaley

PS...lilherc79 knows his system tuning
thanx. i really miss having a fully tunable system as i had in my old car... oh well... i can always tinker with someone else's.. hee.
lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:15 PM   #6
SoSoGuju

My Ride: Steel Gray 330ci
thanx

thanx 4 all ur help guys... i already got myself another solobartic and have set up the gains as u have instructed... hopefully this time i will be a little more successful... oh and i may just get another solobaric b/c i think the amp is jus simply too big for one sub... hopefully it will give me the extra bass that i want too...

thanxxx
SoSoGuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 AM   #7
HaN-hAn

My Ride: E46 Coupe
the solobaric can take a lot of power... instead of getting another one just get the one 15" solo... play around with the gain, have a song with a lot of bass and a friend controlling the gain while you sit in the drivers seat so you can tell when it sounds good... too high and it sounds woolly... Good bass it fast, punchy bass, not bass that makes your ears bleed... Well, not always... =)

ps. are u running caps and an uprated battery in your car? you should be with that much current draw from ur battery.
HaN-hAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:36 AM   #8
ken330i
E46 Fever God

My Ride: F2 dumped
Send a message via AIM to ken330i
i am running a capacity and a digital cross over. pumping the bass for a continuous of 3 hours, the amps in the trunk are not even warm ( only a slight warm).