E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Caveman
:|

My Ride: has wheels
Police parked his patrol car illegally

Should they get away with it ?

Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. - Remember the big controversy that got stirred up a couple of months ago when a citizen filed a complaint against a cop who parked in a no parking zone to pick up some take-out?

Well, the two were in court on Wednesday and after hearing both sides of the story, the judge decided that the officer did park illegally and should get a ticket.

Police contend Officer Chad Stensgaard did the right thing back in March when he parked his patrol car in a no parking zone in front of a northwest Portland restaurant. They argue that he needed to park there so he could still respond to emergencies.

But attorney Eric Bryant, who filed the complaint, believes police should have to obey the law just like everyone else and that is why he, in essence, gave the officer a parking ticket.

The judge did say that Officer Stensgaard acted in a reasonable manner and that he believes the state law needs to change. Police say they are already trying to do exactly that.

In the meantime, police are worried this will embolden more people to file citizen complaints against them. They say they still instruct their officers to park illegally if necessary.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Caveman

And oh yeah on the other day... My parents got it for me and they said not to crash it. I can't wait to take it street racing around town, this car is beyond sweeet

See you guys on the road.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
bavari13

My Ride: ZHP & E90 335i
bavari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
i don't have a problem w. them parking illegally at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
I love stories where attorneys stick it to cops.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Andyman746

My Ride: e30
i do think that cops abuse their power somewhat, but what if the cops(while getting their lunch) get an urgent emergency call? It will take them longer to walk down the block to their "legitimate parking spot" rather than the double parked spot.
Andyman746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I don't have a problem with it....it is one of the perks of the job I suppose.

Also, I've never noticed how upright the pedals are in the CGT. Looks potentially uncomfortable even, but I can't say as I'll ever have the chance to find out

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Kinda like The Devil putting Hitler in the timeout chair for being bad
Watch it now all of us are not money grubbing leaches, ok maye I am but I think I know one who might not be.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
malum

My Ride: bmw
Quote:
In the meantime, police are worried this will embolden more people to file citizen complaints against them.
God forbid police are held accountable for their actions
malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Quote:

Get that money
Its a struggle right now. But in all honesty judges and lawyers are about the only people that can really stick it to cops. When I was in the prosecutors office we had this one cop who would never come to court FOR FELONIES he filed. His supervisor didnt care, Judge was pissed, said if he didnt show up again he was going to jail for two days ummm he said it in the local newspaper.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
the cop should 100 percent be able to park closest possible spot to the door if they are getting lunch. they dont have the luxury of having a designated lunch time to relax so if they get a call they need to move fast. Imagine there was home invasion where precious seconds matter or a car crash...

The person filing this complaint is retarted, the cops in that town are gonna eat him alive with tickets...
Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #12
malum

My Ride: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
the cop should 100 percent be able to park closest possible spot to the door if they are getting lunch. they dont have the luxury of having a designated lunch time to relax so if they get a call they need to move fast. Imagine there was home invasion where precious seconds matter or a car crash...
"Home invasions" are most likely to occur when noone is home. If you want to steal some ****, your not gonna do it when they are there. Car crash? Cops here won't even come out for them anymore unless someone is dead or dying.

Quote:
The person filing this complaint is retarted, the cops in that town are gonna eat him alive with tickets...
Yes they will. And you don't see a problem with an abuse of power like that?
malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #13
Carskibum

Quote:
Originally Posted by malum View Post
"Home invasions" are most likely to occur when noone is home. If you want to steal some ****, your not gonna do it when they are there. Car crash? Cops here won't even come out for them anymore unless someone is dead or dying.?
definiton of home invasion is when the resident is home.
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/we...ome%20invasion

Officers are first response to traffic accidents and are often the only ones on the scene that know legitmate first aid.

Quote:
Yes they will. And you don't see a problem with an abuse of power like that.

yep it is. but for bringing such a silly complaint in my opinion her deserves it.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Carskibum

Quote:

no offense jon but you can agree or disagree, personal shot are not needed.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I don't have a problem with it....it is one of the perks of the job I suppose.

Also, I've never noticed how upright the pedals are in the CGT. Looks potentially uncomfortable even, but I can't say as I'll ever have the chance to find out
yeah first I was like that fkcing stupido pedals. than I was like but their are things you have to get used to, I guest
Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Might be better to see the situation in full. ie; where the officer parked and if it held up traffic over "take out".

What I really want to know is why police officers insist on leaving their cars running while sitting for 30mins drinking coffee at local spots. Every night here 3 sheriffs and 2 CHP (indv cars) pull up and for 15-45 mins they leave their cars running. I fail to see how 5 secs of starting the car is less efficient than shutting it off for the duration of dunking donuts.

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Hobbes
Nonsense Generator

My Ride: 2006 X5 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to Hobbes
Quote:
God forbid police are held accountable for their actions
Exactly.

They should not be allowed to park illegally unless it is an emergency.

Giving them such "perks" just adds to the idea that they ARE above the law and general citizenry.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #18
jailonacs99

My Ride: 2011 335is
Sounds like a real good use of everyones time. The cops driving around for 15 minutes looking for a spot, finding one, then takin 10 or 15 minutes to walk to where they need to go. And the people who have nothing better to do but meander around writing faux parking tickets on their windshield. That really makes the world a better place.

You know what, I make a point, a POINT of parking in red zones, even if there are spaces open. Precisely because the parking situation in LA is so bad. I'm not gonna take up a legitimate parking space that somebody else needs when my car is the only one that can be left in a red zone. Invariably though, every once in a blue moon some idiot will try to raise a stink. Of course, they only do it with the police cars, never with the ambulances, fire, or any number of other government or state owned vehicles that use their exempt plates to park in red zones. Or even delivery trucks that park someplace with their hazards flashing. Oh, it's fine for somebody to park illegally if they're bringing numbnuts his mail-order-pen*s-enlarger, but not if they respond to his 911 for help.

Now, imagine if that jackass lawyer gets what he wants in his perfect world? ALL vehicles, exempt government vehicles included, MUST park in designated spaces/meters. Now those hundreds of thousands (in the city of LA ALONE) of cars are vying for the same parking spaces you are. Unless he can magically pull millions of square footage of parking real-estate out of his as*, then he's just creating more problems than he's solving. And again, I'm just talking about how this reflects on the already dire PARKING situation. I'm not even touching on how assinine it is from an emergency response and priorities perspective.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
as much as I think cops abuse their power, I think it is legit for them to park in no parking or fire zones as long as they are parking in a safe no parking zone or fire zone and they are within visual contact with the car so if it needs to be moved, they can move it. If I had an emergency that required the cops, I would not want them wasting time running/walking to a far away parking spot.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #20
Back2Basics

My Ride: is an instigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Sounds like a real good use of everyones time. The cops driving around for 15 minutes looking for a spot, finding one, then takin 10 or 15 minutes to walk to where they need to go. And the people who have nothing better to do but meander around writing faux parking tickets on their windshield. That really makes the world a better place.

You know what, I make a point, a POINT of parking in red zones, even if there are spaces open. Precisely because the parking situation in LA is so bad. I'm not gonna take up a legitimate parking space that somebody else needs when my car is the only one that can be left in a red zone. Invariably though, every once in a blue moon some idiot will try to raise a stink. Of course, they only do it with the police cars, never with the ambulances, fire, or any number of other government or state owned vehicles that use their exempt plates to park in red zones. Or even delivery trucks that park someplace with their hazards flashing. Oh, it's fine for somebody to park illegally if they're bringing numbnuts his mail-order-pen*s-enlarger, but not if they respond to his 911 for help.

Now, imagine if that jackass lawyer gets what he wants in his perfect world? ALL vehicles, exempt government vehicles included, MUST park in designated spaces/meters. Now those hundreds of thousands (in the city of LA ALONE) of cars are vying for the same parking spaces you are. Unless he can magically pull millions of square footage of parking real-estate out of his as*, then he's just creating more problems than he's solving. And again, I'm just talking about how this reflects on the already dire PARKING situation. I'm not even touching on how assinine it is from an emergency response and priorities perspective.
i agree with this guy.. everybodys real quick to hide behind cops/soldiers when bullets are flyin, then when things calm down and the real bad guys go away, cops/soldiers become the bad guys.. its such a joke
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote