E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #21
braymond141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oakhurst, Ca
Posts: 1,678
My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Sounds like a real good use of everyones time. The cops driving around for 15 minutes looking for a spot, finding one, then takin 10 or 15 minutes to walk to where they need to go. And the people who have nothing better to do but meander around writing faux parking tickets on their windshield. That really makes the world a better place.

You know what, I make a point, a POINT of parking in red zones, even if there are spaces open. Precisely because the parking situation in LA is so bad. I'm not gonna take up a legitimate parking space that somebody else needs when my car is the only one that can be left in a red zone. Invariably though, every once in a blue moon some idiot will try to raise a stink. Of course, they only do it with the police cars, never with the ambulances, fire, or any number of other government or state owned vehicles that use their exempt plates to park in red zones. Or even delivery trucks that park someplace with their hazards flashing. Oh, it's fine for somebody to park illegally if they're bringing numbnuts his mail-order-pen*s-enlarger, but not if they respond to his 911 for help.

Now, imagine if that jackass lawyer gets what he wants in his perfect world? ALL vehicles, exempt government vehicles included, MUST park in designated spaces/meters. Now those hundreds of thousands (in the city of LA ALONE) of cars are vying for the same parking spaces you are. Unless he can magically pull millions of square footage of parking real-estate out of his as*, then he's just creating more problems than he's solving. And again, I'm just talking about how this reflects on the already dire PARKING situation. I'm not even touching on how assinine it is from an emergency response and priorities perspective.
DUDE WAS ON LUNCH

Get a grip... If you want to spout off the necessity of being available at a any moment, then breaks and such should not be permitted. And I don't think anyone would disagree with your use of red zones in LA. But if there are open spots you should be using them. If you're blatantly being a lard ass and abusing your power and you COULD park proper, yet didn't, citizens should speak up.

Using emergency lanes for meal time is a perk and abuse of your status.
__________________

Last edited by braymond141; 07-24-2008 at 11:51 AM.
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #22
Back2Basics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shadow of Liberty
Posts: 630
My Ride: is an instigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
DUDE WAS ON LUNCH

Get a grip... If you want to spout off the necessity of being available at a any moment, then breaks and such should not be permitted. And I don't think anyone would disagree with your use of red zones in LA. But if there are open spots you should be using them. If you're blatantly being a lard ass and abusing your power and you COULD park proper, yet didn't, citizens should speak up.
news to me that cops get a predetermined break on duty? anybody have some input on this?
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
braymond141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oakhurst, Ca
Posts: 1,678
My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfanatic323i View Post
news to me that cops get a predetermined break on duty? anybody have some input on this?
They don't. Which is why the officer was abusing the use of his powers
__________________
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #24
Carskibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by braymond141 View Post
DUDE WAS ON LUNCH

Get a grip... If you want to spout off the necessity of being available at a any moment, then breaks and such should not be permitted. And I don't think anyone would disagree with your use of red zones in LA. But if there are open spots you should be using them. If you're blatantly being a lard ass and abusing your power and you COULD park proper, yet didn't, citizens should speak up.

Using emergency lanes for meal time is a perk and abuse of your status.
cops dont get a lunch!

they are on for 12 hours straight and they take bathroom breaks and lunchs when they get a chance in between calls. often they get a call and need to run quickly. the exception to this is of course detectives and people higher up who have 9-5 type hours.
__________________
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #25
braymond141
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oakhurst, Ca
Posts: 1,678
My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
cops dont get a lunch!
I know this... We have a police officer in my family. It was an expression for the situation.
__________________
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #26
Goughie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Over the pond...
Posts: 562
My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
It's perfectly simple. Cops are citizens, just like you, so they should obey the law. End of. Emergency response team or not, if you give one set of people different rules you get a two tier society... oh wait, I've answered my own question...
__________________
http://i38.tinypic.com/oif03r.png
Sig is a BlownE30M3 production!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #27
brew
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 339
My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Sounds like a real good use of everyones time. The cops driving around for 15 minutes looking for a spot, finding one, then takin 10 or 15 minutes to walk to where they need to go. And the people who have nothing better to do but meander around writing faux parking tickets on their windshield. That really makes the world a better place.

You know what, I make a point, a POINT of parking in red zones, even if there are spaces open. Precisely because the parking situation in LA is so bad. I'm not gonna take up a legitimate parking space that somebody else needs when my car is the only one that can be left in a red zone. Invariably though, every once in a blue moon some idiot will try to raise a stink. Of course, they only do it with the police cars, never with the ambulances, fire, or any number of other government or state owned vehicles that use their exempt plates to park in red zones. Or even delivery trucks that park someplace with their hazards flashing. Oh, it's fine for somebody to park illegally if they're bringing numbnuts his mail-order-pen*s-enlarger, but not if they respond to his 911 for help.

Now, imagine if that jackass lawyer gets what he wants in his perfect world? ALL vehicles, exempt government vehicles included, MUST park in designated spaces/meters. Now those hundreds of thousands (in the city of LA ALONE) of cars are vying for the same parking spaces you are. Unless he can magically pull millions of square footage of parking real-estate out of his as*, then he's just creating more problems than he's solving. And again, I'm just talking about how this reflects on the already dire PARKING situation. I'm not even touching on how assinine it is from an emergency response and priorities perspective.
So if an ambulance can't park in an emergency because a cop blocked the red zone to eat a burrito, you're ok with that? Cops doing personal business unrelated to their duty or an emergency have equal priority when it comes to parking?
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #28
jmcdolej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anderson, IN
Posts: 565
My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Cops get a lunch. I see them all the time. they go 10-50 or something. They dont get called to get a cat out of a tree during their lunch but they have to go if there is an armed robbery. I dont think they should get to park wherever they want, it sets a bad example and breeds more trust issues with the police. Yeah people rely on them in emergencies ITS THEIR JOB. It is what they chose to do, why do they all (some are) have to be heroes. Cops get more un-warranted appreciation (mostly b/c of the some of the brave) from 9-11. Cops are jsut people, some are lazy-POS, some jsut do their job and go home, so are amazing people who go above and beyond everyday. When people see them getting a free lunch, or *****ing at the counter clerk at Starbucks (search here for the story) it breed mistrust in them. LEAD by example.
__________________

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #29
jailonacs99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 490
My Ride: Dinan328Ci, 335i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Two wrongs dont make a right. Basically you're saying that cops (Read: You) have a higher priority to park in red zones than a delivery man.

Listen, you are not above the law. You need to follow it like everyone else. Just because LA is short of parking spaces does not mean you can ignore the law. Red Zones are there for a reason.

With that mentality, I work on Servers for some major hospitals, and if these servers that control/run SQL databases for patient records or run the data systems for the medication prescribing and drug interaction devices goes down, people can die.

So can I park in illegal spots too?

Get over yourself

No, that's not what I'm saying, read it again. I'm not talking just about police cars, I'm talking about ANY exempt vehicle (either gov't issue or private enterprise, like the example I used, delivery trucks) parking in red zones, not just police cars. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these vehicles all over the city parking outside of metered spaces. And why? Access, convenience, and congestion. And each of those terms apply not only to the people driving the car, but also to everyone else around them. But why is it that people just complain about the police cars, and not the postal trucks, ambulances, transport ambulances, fedex, DHL, Mom's Baked Goods, ABC transport, ACME, Pedros Burritos, LADOT, caltrans, street maintenance, etc. etc. etc.? And as far as the letter and spirit of the law, LA is very liberal about their parking policies for ANY exempt vehicle where the operator is on duty. They don't have to be responding to an emergency call to park in a red zone. So I'm not even talking about legality, I'm just talking about basic common sense as it applies to the entire city.

And in fact, in the situation you're describing with a critical server crash at a hospital, ya, that is an emergency situation that would require immediate resolution. Are you saying you'd spend 20 minutes looking for a parking spot while peoples life support systems are shutting down instead of just pulling right up to the entrance and running inside? How do you explain that afterwards? "Well, they died because I couldn't find a place to park." I suppose the police could use that excuse too, "Well, she died because I was parked too far away." I hear extenuating circumstances all the time, it's why doctors always say they're on their way to emergency neural surgery when they get pulled over.

Quote:
So if an ambulance can't park in an emergency because a cop blocked the red zone to eat a burrito, you're ok with that? Cops doing personal business unrelated to their duty or an emergency have equal priority when it comes to parking?
I've never heard of an ambulance on a priority medical aid call looking for a space anyway, they pretty much just stop wherever. That's why their lights are flashing. Now, if you meant to say parking in front of a fire hydrant, then ya, that's why you never do that. Also, why I would never, say, fill up an entire bus loading lane. There's some simple common sense here people.
__________________
jailonacs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #30
FTWeisse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Michelle Ryan's Feet
Posts: 2,878
My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
The person filing this complaint is retarted, the cops in that town are gonna eat him alive with tickets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by malum View Post
Yes they will. And you don't see a problem with an abuse of power like that?
I laft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
Cops get a lunch. I see them all the time. they go 10-50 or something. They dont get called to get a cat out of a tree during their lunch but they have to go if there is an armed robbery. I dont think they should get to park wherever they want, it sets a bad example and breeds more trust issues with the police. Yeah people rely on them in emergencies ITS THEIR JOB. It is what they chose to do, why do they all (some are) have to be heroes. Cops get more un-warranted appreciation (mostly b/c of the some of the brave) from 9-11. Cops are jsut people, some are lazy-POS, some jsut do their job and go home, so are amazing people who go above and beyond everyday. When people see them getting a free lunch, or *****ing at the counter clerk at Starbucks (search here for the story) it breed mistrust in them. LEAD by example.
Thank you
__________________
***JEREMY DAVID LEONARD SMITH (1987-2008)***
FTWeisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #31
kyle808
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 938
My Ride: 00 328CI
I've seen cops at the stoplight turning on their sirens just to cross the intersection and then turning it off once they're over. He wasn't even in an emergency situation, just felt like abusing his powers.
__________________

"I'm gonna die! Jesus, Allah, Buddha - I love you all!
-Homer Simpson
kyle808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #32
Back2Basics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shadow of Liberty
Posts: 630
My Ride: is an instigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle808 View Post
I've seen cops at the stoplight turning on their sirens just to cross the intersection and then turning it off once they're over. He wasn't even in an emergency situation, just felt like abusing his powers.
how do you know?
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #33
kyle808
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 938
My Ride: 00 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfanatic323i View Post
how do you know?
Cuz if he was in a real emergency situation wouldn't his sirens already be blasting before he got to the intersection? And why would he turn it off and drive normal speed after the intersection?
__________________

"I'm gonna die! Jesus, Allah, Buddha - I love you all!
-Homer Simpson
kyle808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #34
Back2Basics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shadow of Liberty
Posts: 630
My Ride: is an instigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle808 View Post
Cuz if he was in a real emergency situation wouldn't his sirens already be blasting before he got to the intersection? And why would he turn it off and drive normal speed after the intersection?
we can roll eyes at each other all day pal, maybe there was a terrorist in his trunk with a bomb strapped to him saying hey you better give all these civilians watching the impression that your abusing your powers by speeding through this red light intersection with your siren and lights flashing and then abrubtly and obviously hitting the brakes and turning off the emergency lights while coasting at a safe casual speed.

you never know
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #35
kyle808
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 938
My Ride: 00 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfanatic323i View Post
we can roll eyes at each other all day pal, maybe there was a terrorist in his trunk with a bomb strapped to him saying hey you better give all these civilians watching the impression that your abusing your powers by speeding through this red light intersection with your siren and lights flashing and then abrubtly and obviously hitting the brakes and turning off the emergency lights while coasting at a safe casual speed.

you never know
2 words for ya buddy, Occam's razor.
__________________

"I'm gonna die! Jesus, Allah, Buddha - I love you all!
-Homer Simpson
kyle808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #36
Carskibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
lets agree there are two sides to this arguement. just please have respect for your officers.
__________________
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #37
Back2Basics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shadow of Liberty
Posts: 630
My Ride: is an instigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle808 View Post
2 words for ya buddy, Occam's razor.
3 for you, principle of plenitude

im not your buddy guy
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #38
Gucki83
Registered User
 
Gucki83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,491
My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
lmao
__________________
Gucki83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #39
kyle808
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 938
My Ride: 00 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfanatic323i View Post
3 for you, principle of plenitude

im not your buddy guy
I'm not your guy, bro.
__________________

"I'm gonna die! Jesus, Allah, Buddha - I love you all!
-Homer Simpson
kyle808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #40
Back2Basics
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shadow of Liberty
Posts: 630
My Ride: is an instigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle808 View Post
I'm not your guy, bro.
well im not your bro, friend!
Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use