E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
brodaiga

My Ride: 330ci
shredded belt

what do you know but the belt shredded and came off while driving today. the corner of the belt was shredded. the car is parked at a diner and I will do the surgery tomorrow and put it in a new one.

my question is there a belt tensioner bolt somewhere to make the job go easier?
also any tips for this job, do I just look up the correct belt routing, and slip on the new belt?

i have the technik asa tm-12 blower
brodaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
i m gong to try to help you as much as possible hahah..i ll do my best to remember

I think you just move the tensioner over the right put your belt and then let go of the tensioner.

ps. i m not sure, i think that could be VW process, but i cant remember. Its pretty straight forward.
my main concern is why did the belt come off and rip?

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheefo2k View Post
i m gong to try to help you as much as possible hahah..i ll do my best to remember

I think you just move the tensioner over the right put your belt and then let go of the tensioner.

ps. i m not sure, i think that could be VW process, but i cant remember. Its pretty straight forward.
my main concern is why did the belt come off and rip?
thanks for the quick answer. well, I was leaving my apt and going over a speed bump and the bump hit something metal under the car. note though, this has happened 3-5 times before. after the bump the car was running fine. I drove .1 mile to the light and took a right, car was driving fine for about 1-2 min, then I decide to step on it and around 5000rpm the belt came off the pulleys. i pulled over and visual inspection showed the belt was off and the side of it was shreded, I did not get a good look at the pulleys.

i found this pic for the tensioner, but we took this out with the kit, right? what pulley would be the tensioner then to loosen the belt?

diy with good pics here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=483472
Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
brodaiga

for anybody that cares I just fixed it after 3 hrs. removing the fan was cake. then got the ac belt off and then figured out the mechanism for the hydraulic tensioner pulley. as I took the sc belt off I noticed that one of the plastic non-ribbed pulleys on the sc bracket was loose and wiggling around, barely holding on. my diagnosis was that the pulley was loose and got worse over time until the belt slipped and shredded. luckily,the pulley was not damaged and I was able to take the cover off and tighten it with a t-50 torx wrench. I did not have sockets but these allen wrench type things did get the job done but wasted 30 min. The hardest part was figuring out how to route the sc belt. the shredded belt was completely off the pulleys and was no reference. I looked at the technik install instructions and they had a small pic of some of the pulleys but were missing a couple, so the process was frustrating, after finally figuring it out, slipping on the belt on the last pulley was a pain. i stabbed my thumb and have a nice hematoma under my nail bed. anyway, i slipped it on, and everything is working great. the car even idles softer, perhaps the pulley was making extra noise. I also upgraded to a GATES brand belt just in case. so a happy ending here...
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
oh yea that will do it!!!
i m glad you got it down bro!! goodluck

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
glad you got it back up.. i kinda lol'd when i saw the picture of the aitconditioning belt route.. (lol)

caturdays are the worst days you can have trouble with cars..

ive never shredded any belts.. but once time during a crazy onramp overpowering the wheelz @ the end of the corner session, my main assc. belt lopped right off..

"I never met a girl that make me feel like you do,..you're alright...Whenever I'm asked who makes my dreams real, I say that you do, you're alright..
Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true..Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true.."

Bimmerfest BBQ 2014
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote