E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM   #21
e4sixxx

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing.Ray View Post
Ever considered DIY'ing something like this?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=37
it never crossed my mind but holy crap thats nice
e4sixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #22
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4sixxx View Post
that thing is sick
it's still there today!

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #23
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

How about a custom intake setup up to the MAF?
Combining this idea with one of these, for example: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2011
Removes the airbox and optimized airflow directly to the MAF.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #24
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

Quote:
Combining this idea with one of these, for example: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2011
do it.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #25
e4sixxx

Quote:
how so, it looks like a drop in filter that is thinner than stock
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #26
e4sixxx

the filter on my car is a knn cone filter made for aem so thats y it says aem if im not mistaken.

since i modified the top portion of the stock air box i can no longer use a drop in style filter because i cut out the baffles that channel the air downward and back up thru the filter.

so the part of the intake that is behind the kidneys is going directly into the filter rather than down then back up. ill try to get a pic

brb
Old 07-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #27
Rayce185

Quote:
how so, it looks like a drop in filter that is thinner than stock
I posted a link of an M3 with CF airbox and that frontal filter behind the kidney grills, remember?

Well, with the DIY from you guys, and this idea... it's probably the closest we could get to a airbox mod without dishing out too much cash...
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #28
Rayce185

Quote:
the filter on my car is a knn cone filter made for aem so thats y it says aem if im not mistaken.

since i modified the top portion of the stock air box i can no longer use a drop in style filter because i cut out the baffles that channel the air downward and back up thru the filter.

so the part of the intake that is behind the kidneys is going directly into the filter rather than down then back up. ill try to get a pic

brb
What I'm saying: REMOVE the whole OEM airbox and DIY a direct channeling from the front scoop and the MAF, then install a drop in filter infront of the scoop.
Maybe increase the size of the scoop/filter for more flow.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #29
e4sixxx

Quote:
What I'm saying: REMOVE the whole OEM airbox and DIY a direct channeling from the front scoop and the MAF, then install a drop in filter infront of the scoop.
Maybe increase the size of the scoop/filter for more flow.
i see what your saying ill try to fab something up

well heres the photo

Old 07-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #30
Rayce185

Yeah I see what you mean... That's what I wanted to do too. I actually re-bought an OEM airbox since I threw out my old one, but then I wanted to do that "stealth" mod that you did.

But this "kidney ram intake" mod would be so awesome...
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #31
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Hmmm, this has given me a few more good ideas to improve on my current setup. Well done, I will post pics once I'm finished.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #32
e4sixxx

Quote:
Ever considered DIY'ing something like this?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=37
so i looked at the pictures on this post and it seems to me that the radiator was modified it looks lower and set at an angle meaning you would have to take the oem radiator fan off and run a flat puller electric fan for the intake to be placed there as well as the radiator in the place that its in.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #33
Rayce185

Quote:
so i looked at the pictures on this post and it seems to me that the radiator was modified it looks lower and set at an angle meaning you would have to take the oem radiator fan off and run a flat puller electric fan for the intake to be placed there as well as the radiator in the place that its in.
The site says that the kit consists of the air duct, filter and CF airbox and costs 3500EUR
The radiator does look aftermarket though (silver etc) and it does seem to be lower as you said.

As far as I recall I don't have a fan in front of my radiator, so I can just install this duct system (DIY of course) right up to the kidneys.

Here's what I'm thinking:

DIY the stuff circled in red. Either made of metal, plastic or custom made CF
The turquoise would be where the MAF is positioned.

Now for us 323/328 owners: We can get gains by installing an M54B30 intake manifold, and they are not minimal either, as far as I've heard. Good part: THAT'S STILL POSSIBLE by going with the frontal RAM intake DIY.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #34
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

the problem I see with this is rain. As in, when it rains, your filter will get really wet and probably let water into your engine.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #35
Rayce185

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
the problem I see with this is rain. As in, when it rains, your filter will get really wet and probably let water into your engine.
I hear what you mean.
Isn't there this "water filter" thingy that can be installed in the piping? I read about that a few months back when someone was worried about installing his cone filter behind the CSL bumper intake hole. I can't remember what it's called though.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #36
e4sixxx

Quote:
I hear what you mean.
Isn't there this "water filter" thingy that can be installed in the piping? I read about that a few months back when someone was worried about installing his cone filter behind the CSL bumper intake hole. I can't remember what it's called though.
aem bypass valve is what they are talking about, i think those only work if the intake is totally submerged under water but the setup you are thinking about doing water can still seep through and damage the maf also it can make its way to the intake manifold and through the motor just my .02
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #37
Rayce185

Quote:
aem bypass valve is what they are talking about, i think those only work if the intake is totally submerged under water but the setup you are thinking about doing water can still seep through and damage the maf also it can make its way to the intake manifold and through the motor just my .02
I can understand the MAF taking damage, but if only a few drops would actually make it all the way to the engine, don't you think they would evaporate due to the heat?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 07-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #38
e4sixxx

Quote:
I can understand the MAF taking damage, but if only a few drops would actually make it all the way to the engine, don't you think they would evaporate due to the heat?
maybe but it also depends how hard its raining and how long you are driving in the rain.

but regardless i wouldn't want any water going in to the intake, which is why i even made a plug for the intake on my bumper for when or if it ever rains here in vegas.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #39
Rayce185

How about removing the MAF and tuning the air/fuel mixture via alpha-N (per software)?
Then the only thing to worry about would be too much water going into the manifold... I can't see being too much of a problem unless you're actually watering the intake with a hose
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 08-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #40
greekpsycho

My Ride: '01 325i Touring
Send a message via AIM to greekpsycho Send a message via Yahoo to greekpsycho
I actually did this DIY a while back...Interesting how similar yours looks to mine. Although I sacrificed the velocity stack design for safety reasons. I left my panel K&N filter instead and i didn't run my piping down directly to the fog light. I ran it behind my lower grille so that it would catch large debris that would otherwise end up in my airbox. Also, not having it meet a sealed opening on the front of the car lowers the risk for vacuuming up large amounts of WATER! I used PVC about 2 years ago and it still looks good. I also cleaned up some of the tabs on the inside of the box and painted the whole thing in Ceramic paint... The best part is the suction noise it creates, AWESOME! Along with the Shark Injector, some very noticeable gains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whip 062.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	281372   Click image for larger version

Name:	whip 064.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	281373  

Last edited by greekpsycho; 08-14-2008 at 12:50 AM. Reason: added photos
greekpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote