E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 4.83 average.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #121
Stealthwagen

My Ride: '00 323iT / S54 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
What trans
Sorry.... It's actually a complete S54 drivetrain swap. Engine, 6 spd, driveshaft & entire rear suspension with M3 LSD, axles, suspension arms, hubs & brakes. It all bolts in quite cleanly. Getting all of the electronics to play together nicely turned out to be quitre another thing.
Stealthwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #122
keith_m3-4

My Ride: 02 325iT
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthwagen View Post
Sorry.... It's actually a complete S54 drivetrain swap. Engine, 6 spd, driveshaft & entire rear suspension with M3 LSD, axles, suspension arms, hubs & brakes. It all bolts in quite cleanly. Getting all of the electronics to play together nicely turned out to be quitre another thing.
that's awesome.. what ballpark budjet is needed to get something like that done??? must be sweet!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #123
MPG_325

My Ride: '02 325 iT
Opinions on bumpers?

Hi all,

First of all there are a lot of gorgeous Tourings here !

I noticed in reviewing this thread that most Tourings here have M-Tech II front bumpers. I'm trying to decide what bumper to get for my 325iT and I was wondering whether anyone thought that other bumpers would look good on the Tourings.

I was thinking specifically of CSL V1 or V2 type bumpers. I wasn't necessarily thinking of side skirts but I don't know if that would factor into the decision around front bumpers.

I'd be interested in anyones opinion...and I know I should (and will) go with what I like best...I'm just trying to broaden my perspectives before making a decision!

Thanks,

Mike
MPG_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #124
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:
Couple of teasers here. Won't keep up with Stuart's car when he gets done, but it's sweet. Very unexpected exhaust note when you get into it. I'll take some proper photos (well, best I'm able to manage) next week & hope Uncle Don can add me to the gallery. Exterior Mods include 18" HM2's, MTech II, Bi-Xenons, ACS rear add-on, Clears, Tint.

Love this thread!!!!
I want this for mine too
Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #125
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
stealth - how hard was it to install the M3 motor?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #126
wooboodoo

My Ride: is alpine white...
Quote:

Do you have installed M3 cluster or still using your old one?

No matter which BMW model you drive, pure chiseled performance is the
pulsating heart of its DNA. Yet the 13th letter of the alphabet takes every
BMW built-in performance advantage and amps it up to the Mth degree.
Call it the Year of M.
D. Randy Riggs
wooboodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #127
keith_m3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG_325 View Post
Hi all,

First of all there are a lot of gorgeous Tourings here !

I noticed in reviewing this thread that most Tourings here have M-Tech II front bumpers. I'm trying to decide what bumper to get for my 325iT and I was wondering whether anyone thought that other bumpers would look good on the Tourings.

I was thinking specifically of CSL V1 or V2 type bumpers. I wasn't necessarily thinking of side skirts but I don't know if that would factor into the decision around front bumpers.

I'd be interested in anyones opinion...and I know I should (and will) go with what I like best...I'm just trying to broaden my perspectives before making a decision!

Thanks,

Mike
I am/was going through this same debate.. and wanted to be unique.. after looking at all the options, the MtechII is till up there as one of the best if not the best one for the wagons. I thought the CSL would be cool but due our body style lacking "bulges" as the M3's, it just doesn't look right. Even with the hood buldge as you can see from the Rogue M3 Touring, it just doesn't fit to me.

I think my chance to be unique will not be from the bumper but a blower.. We'll see in a few weeks.. I am getting excited!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM   #128
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Quote:
It's done. See pics above while still in the shop. Been driving it for about 2 weeks now. Doing a muffler change right now to quiet it down. Also trying to figure out how to stop the EML & SES from triggering (Running CSL headers & OEM Euro cats).
Nice setup... so how does it drive. I hope you upgraded the brakes from the stock ones in the dhop pictures... Any idea how much power it is putting out with the headers/cats or is it close to stock euro -- 343hp

what exhaust are you putting on?

you and 330ZHP make us with stock engine 325s
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 PM   #129
330i ZHP

mine is still stock with auto
Old 07-31-2008, 10:36 PM   #130
jwm5

I thought you were swapping it to a 330zhp engine?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #131
330i ZHP

i am - but i have to finish the swap in the sedan first

the wagon will get the motor with the cams and SC from the sedan along with a 6spd from the donor zhp (I am keeping the 6spd from my sedan with the sedan since it only has 23k miles....the donor 6spd has about 45k miles)

follow all that confusion????
Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #132
jwm5

I have obviously been slacking on my thread reading. Last I remember you had bought a donor ZHP engine and that was going into the wagon. If you are removing the ZHP engine + s/c from your sedan what is going into the sedan, a non FI ZHP motor?

when done you will have to get together with the M3 engine wagon and see who wins...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #133
330i ZHP

the wagon will be 330zhp ts2+ and the sedan will be 330zhp ts3 and both will be 6spd
Old 08-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #134
Stealthwagen

My Ride: '00 323iT / S54 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_m3-4 View Post
that's awesome.. what ballpark budjet is needed to get something like that done??? must be sweet!
Keith: Well, as I imagine you've seen other knowledgeable folks say, it ain't cheap. Obviously the final cost depends on tons of things, but I recall Ben at Rogue telling me when I first checked with him a couple of years ago to count on about $20K if someone's doing the work for you. He's right on the mark. I probably spent north of $12K on "major" parts alone. (total purchased parts count ran north of 200 items). That's a lightly used engine, harness, DME & cluster; used tranny (two actually....story for another day & lot's of beer ); entire rear suspension & brakes, diff; brand new 3.91 R&P and $$ to install. $140 for a TMS chassis kit and at least 10x that to put it in properly. New CSL headers & euro cats. Labor to extend the O2 sensor cables. Labor to properly locate & mount the M3 windshield washer tank. Labor to install & properly route various new wires & sensors not originally part of the 323. Rogue LTW flywheel, clutch, SSK, pulleys. And more parts. And down time. And lot's of troubleshooting & a couple of EWS units & finally a new ignition column lockset and key. Some more parts & labor and headscratching. And that's pretty much just the beginning (jk). Well, not really kidding. Like all good things, the devil's in the details. Want it to look like it rolled out of the factory? Spend $$ on factory parts & lot's of labor. Want to drive without CEL's & codes & pass emissions? Spend $$ on troubleshooting & more labor. You get the idea. Can you cobble something together & hang sh1t with ty-wraps & duct tape? Sure.

I'd do it again. I'd never do it to a coupe. Possibly to a sedan.

I always get a rise when I see guys on this board blab on about how it shouldn't cost much, just drops right in! You know they're beyond clueless and just hope no-one takes the advice seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
I want this for mine too
Thanks Gunnar. Yours has always been one of the nicest cars here IMHO. I try to go for tasteful & yours is all about that.

Quote:
stealth - how hard was it to install the M3 motor?
Interestinlgly Stuart, the mechanical side of this swap is so straightforward as to be stupid-simple. Across the model range, the chassis' are virually identical when it comes to the key hard-mounting points. Thus the entire drivetrain literally bolts right in. If it were only that, the world would be filthy with these monsters by now. But these days (as opposed to the late Cretaceous period, when I cut my teeth on car mods) it's all about CAN bus communications, firmware updates, software, and making processors in multiple modules talk to one-another without starting any arguments. It's this EE/Software sh1t (can you tell I'm a MechE ) that turns out to be the key to making something like this go properly and, hence, where much of the mod cost lies (at least the first time around).

Looking forward to hearing about your ESS mods soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooboodoo View Post
Do you have installed M3 cluster or still using your old one?
woobs: M3 cluster. Came from the Donor M3 along with the engine, harness & DME. Best done this way since the DME, Cluster, & LKM, EWS all look to one another and need to hand shake & get happy at start-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
Nice setup... so how does it drive. I hope you upgraded the brakes from the stock ones in the dhop pictures... Any idea how much power it is putting out with the headers/cats or is it close to stock euro -- 343hp

what exhaust are you putting on?

you and 330ZHP make us with stock engine 325s
How does it drive? One helluva lot different than the original 323 step, that's for sure . Being able to spin the PS2's shifting into 2nd is pretty fun. Playing it "straight" (w/DSC off) can get pretty crazy. Need to be careful with the throttle, especially in tight turns or it'll swap ends in a heartbeat. Reminds me of my old 911's. It's early days yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to reduce oversteer with a bigger front bar and/or wider wheels & tires in back if I can squeeze 'em in.

Shifting at 8000 and then accelerating from 5K in the next gear makes for a race-car like soundtrack. That blaat, blaaat, blaaaat thing.

As for brakes, I have the 332 mm 4-pot Brembo's (black) up front & stock M3 bits out back. They're more than adequate for now. It's a hoot to take someone for a ride who's pretty much clueless as to the braking capability of these M-cars. They're reasonably white-knuckled under hard acceleration into 3rd, pushing 80 in about 7-8 seconds. Then absolutely frightened when I get hard on the brakes and stop faster than they ever thought was possible . Most folks find that more astoundiung than hard acceleration. I'd like to upgrade to 345's in front at some point since I have a red Brembo rear add-on caliper kit waiting. But that's all bling at this point. Not to say I don't fall for tasteful bling here and there!

Not really certain about the output. Will probably run up to BHS and get it on Joel's dyno just to see.

I took the Dinan muffler off (was on the original 323i !! It's nothing more than a tin can. Nothing in it but a single baffle) and now have an original ZHP in place. Definitely quiets things down, but also seems to sound "rougher". Hard to describe. Not really what I'm after. I need to check in with Ben Liaw to see if he's come up with any good solutions for this.

Quote:
the wagon will be 330zhp ts2+ and the sedan will be 330zhp ts3 and both will be 6spd
I haven't been following the FI threads for a while, but assume the TS2 will push the S54 pretty hard and the TS3 would walk me. Then again I'm running a 3.91 so things should be pretty close up to maybe 80 or so when the TS3 HP advantage starts to show. Not that street racing is of much interest to me, but would be an interesting comparo.
Stealthwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #135
keith_m3-4

Stealth, that's a serious budjet and you're a very lucky man! S54 is incredible isn't it? I love the sound of mine winding up. With the exhaust I had, pure music.. I really miss it. Thanks for the details about it! MORE PICS PLEASE! Enjoy your weekend!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #136
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
Damn...such a hot compilation. Its a great visual collection to show people the awesome tuning opportunities for Touring owners. Anyone who hates on Wagons needs to see these, cause these aren't soccer-moms grocery getters. Is there anyway I could display this on my site?...with full credits going to you of course. I just want as many people as possible to see these sick Tourings

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #137
kep2002

My Ride: 2002 325it
Don -

I've added a few more changes and think that I am about finished with the exterior of my wagon. Perhaps I will add bulging cf hood some day but for now she is looking good to my eye.

Please pick what you think is worthy for the collection and discard my previous camera phone picture.

Thanks,

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KEP-wagon headon.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	282454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundel.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	282455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr left corner.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	282456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr right corner.jpg
Views:	4440
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	282457  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf rear.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	282458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt rear.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	282459  
kep2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #138
Opt1mus

My Ride: 320d exe Touring
Here's mine:

Old 09-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #139
jwm5

kep2002 - nice pics, the 335 wheels suit the wagon body well. M3 mirrors look good.

Opt1mus looks good, you are one of the few other wagons out there with the pre-facelift sides and rear like mine. Are those e90/2 18" M3 wheels or just look similar?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #140
Opt1mus

My Ride: 320d exe Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
Opt1mus looks good, you are one of the few other wagons out there with the pre-facelift sides and rear like mine. Are those e90/2 18" M3 wheels or just look similar?
THNX! When I saw your car I was immediatly sold, everyone in Holland also has the MTech II package and I wanted something different and unique......
Take a look in my introduction pages (P2) for more pics!

Those are indeed the e90/2 18" M3 (replica) wheels, looks great on TiAG

Tags
touring