E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
davidlo

My Ride: E46 2004 330i
Leaking oil??

Hello,

First, I'm new to this forum, so I'll introduce my car a little...

It's a European spec 2004 E46 330i with 6MT, with sport package. Bought the car about 3 months ago and all is fine.

Recently, I had the front tires replaced. However, I noticed some oil spilling around all 4 wheel arches while getting the tired changed... The oil that I noted was yellowish in color. I went to a shop to have the car jacked up and checked. The oil can be seen on all 4 inner arches, and along the bottom of the car on both sides. There are also some oil on the engine reinforcement plate, but nothing on the plastic engine cover.

I didn't have the cover removed to check for leakage. The 4 calipers are dry, and there's no radiating spills on the inner side of the wheels....

Now the color of the oil is yellow, and the shop cannot find any leaks.

Anybody have any thoughts on where to check? Or is it just oil from roads? I did drive around a lot the past week, but not sure if I ran over oils or not.

Here're some pictures of the car. Sorry, no pictures of the oil spill though.

davidlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
BodyMan

My Ride: 2002 325i
Maybe you just drove thru something? Clean it all off and drive some more to see if it comes back?
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
davidlo

That's the plan right now... I'm just looking for some inputs.. Perhaps I missed something....
Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
acegti

My Ride: 2005 325i spt pkg
I cannot for the life of me remember what that goo is called, but it is a substance used during the build of the car. My first GTI had that same crap. I'd clean it off, and it would come right back! It finally ran out after about six months of leaking. Mine came from the doors. I believe it is some sort of industrial grease or solvent. I haven't heard of a yellow oil. What is the consistency or viscosity of the fluid? Is it thick, like syrup, or runny, like vegetable oil?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
1sick bimmer

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323 ci coup
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegti View Post
I cannot for the life of me remember what that goo is called, but it is a substance used during the build of the car. My first GTI had that same crap. I'd clean it off, and it would come right back! It finally ran out after about six months of leaking. Mine came from the doors. I believe it is some sort of industrial grease or solvent. I haven't heard of a yellow oil. What is the consistency or viscosity of the fluid? Is it thick, like syrup, or runny, like vegetable oil?
ha you are talking about cavity wax , not real sure if bmw used it or not but i know vw did
1sick bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
davidlo

Hmm... I had that gooey stuff under the hood, at that big empty space on the passenger side, near the firewall.

What I have recently, however, is not the same as the above. The yellowish oil is runny, actually, now that you mentioned it, does look like vegetable oil... Maybe I somehow ran over those veggi oil containers??

Anyways, I'm without my car for the rest of the week (going to my parents' without driving the car). So, I'll see if that oil comes back after more driving.