E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
If you know or care about what happens when you fit sways, you would ask about the relative merits of the different sizes! If you like the factory understeer the H&R/Turner bars will do it for you. If you like more neutral handling, go with UUC or Dinan. If you want to learn about sways, investigate the effects of different sizes before you buy. If all you care about is reducing lean in the corners, just use any old bars. I have PSS9 with stock sport front bar and an H&R/Turner 21 mm rear bar. The rear bushings do make noise in the cold weather. Anything below freezing for sure. I would recommend that you call UUC or Bav Auto and discuss with them what you are looking for in sways. Rather than just listen to the "I did this so it's the best" comments here.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #22
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323ci Fanatic View Post
^ whyd u get uuc then mate?
Big mistake. I thought from their other products I owned of theirs they would have over-engineered the bars too. Big nope. We put some H-Sport on my friends car and it's a way better engineered system. Had I known before what I know now, the Hotchkis bars would have been on from the beginning.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
^ thats a hell of an endorsement
Old 08-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #24
Z-PDX

My Ride: 330ci, R6, XR650R
UUC's.

Easy install. Right price. Good product. Helpful dudes.

-Z
Z-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #25
kcalhoun27

My Ride: is red inside
i have the UUC and i like them. i dont have any clunking issues, and they definitely improved the handling(along with lowering it, and other stuff). they are a bit pricier i think, but i got mine off a member here, so for the money it was a steal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theribdoctor View Post
chili is awesome, I bleed aqua and orange.
kcalhoun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #26
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
Love my H&R. They are true plug and play swaybars, no additional parts needed.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #27
323ci Fanatic

My Ride: Black 323ci
so many mixed signals....get this, get that Hummer's post is very helpful. He is right, speak to a few places and work out what set up you want. OP, have u made up your mind yet or still thinking?

Jase
323ci Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #28
jamesthebikeguy

My Ride: Is a ugly POS
Send a message via AIM to jamesthebikeguy
I choose to go with the Turner Sways.

by far the best decision i made on sways, in my modding career.

Turner FTW
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #29
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
I heard that the Turner sways are just repackaged H&R. Not sure though, it might just be a rumor.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #30
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
I have the Hotchkis sways, and I love them. And yes, I also heard the TMS sways are H&R, just painted Turner blue

Last edited by UTL1098; 08-12-2008 at 11:37 PM.
UTL1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #31
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I'm glad this thread popped up, as these are the next thing going on my car. I've been leaning heavily toward UUC, as all of their products that I've experienced have been absolute top-notch, amazing pieces. With what I've read, and the additional research I've since done on the Hotchkis sways, my mind is changed. I'll be ordering those in a very timely fashion!

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 AM   #32
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
I'm glad this thread popped up, as these are the next thing going on my car. I've been leaning heavily toward UUC, as all of their products that I've experienced have been absolute top-notch, amazing pieces. With what I've read, and the additional research I've since done on the Hotchkis sways, my mind is changed. I'll be ordering those in a very timely fashion!
I've heard stories of people installing those UUC Sway Barbarians and having them be really noisy. I've never heard anything bad about the Hotchkis ones though. Don't get me wrong I love UUC products, but that made me kind of sketched out.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #33
ModBargains
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 325e & E46 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Tom View Post
I have the UUC bars and I am happy with them, haven't had the clunking people have talked about with the rear bar. Makes the car more neutral and a bit flatter cornering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Q View Post
UUC Swaybarbarians.... my M is driven HEAVILY and holds like a tic
+1000000000000

I have had nothing but great feedback on these swaybars. The SwayBarbarian uses a multi-hole system on the front and rear bars which allows for fine tuning of the bar for whatever desired effect, without sacrificing body roll. Plus you have your choice of spherical bearing or urethane end links. These are awesome! Let me know if I can help you guys get a set of your own!

Elliot Goodman|Elliott@ModBargains.com|(714) 582-3330 ext. 8009
We Specialize In:
BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels | BMW Intake
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates!
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #34
lickem66

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP 6MT
I went through the same thought/analysis process in my decision - UUC vs. Hotchkis. Basically, in the end it came down to the grease zirks (sp) on the Hotchkis ones. Also a buddy of mine has run the Hotchkis sways on all his GTIs over the years and loved them. Just make sure you use the supplied silicone grease and they'll be squeak free. Easy enough install. The rears just take patience and be sure to use the correct torques. Took me and my son-in-law about 45 mins for front (leisurely) and about 2 hours for the rear with a beer thown in for tradition sake..
Past: 93 325i Auto/SP/PP, Blk/Tan
lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #35
eek142

My Ride: E46
I have the UUC's and they are very good. They are not noisy if you can install them correctly, although it seems like I need to readjust my rear endlink b/c it has slightly scored the half-shaft over time. Make sure that you adjust the endlinks with the wheels under load or else everything will be off. I have the front set to medium and the rear set to full stiff and the car is quite neutral.

My rear bushings are starting to creak unfortunately so they will need to be regreased soon...
eek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #36
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
aren't the hotchkis like $500? Is that a good price for sways? And is it worth it if so?
Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #37
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
good info this is needed, at bimmerfest 08 Turner told me the sways are the same as H&R, they just paint it baby blue, i like H&R, they are well priced to, actually i dont have them so i cant really comment, From my experience in calling up these shops/sponsors, they know nothing about these products, so the best thing is personal experience.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #38
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46 M3 & E46 323i
Hotchkis makes the fatest (literally) bars...I'd go with them for sways.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #39
vixapphire

My Ride: 325 iT shagwagon
couple of questions from a newb:

1. what about the bars that are up on ebay; there's an interesting "cantilevered-beam" looking thing up there periodically (looks like an old railroad bridge-like thing) stamped with (probably counterfeit) ac schnitzer. looks neat, but wondering if it's worth anything performancewise. it IS pretty cheap, though...

2. i've got a wagon; does putting on a rear bar require hacking into the interior and attaching to the tops of the suspension/shock towers, or does the rear bar attach underneath the car?

i know these are dum-dum questions, and apologize for asking. i've not had the chance to look further into this, and in any event when i went to read my manual yesterday (just bought this thing CPO from the hermosa beach dealer) i found that they've graciously supplied me with a set of manuals... for the sedans. there is no useful information about anything from the rear seats back in these manuals, and i'm very disappointed in the dealer for this.

otherwise, i'm loving this car. gas tank could be a few gallons larger, though.
vixapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #40
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
I paid 359 for the Hotchkis... LOVE them, they ARE adjustable...and I prefer the look of the swaged ends to the welded UUC bar ends.
They are very impressive. I LOVE UUC also, I have now bought 3 SSK's from them, and the DSSR, I am sure their product is very similar to Hotchkis.