E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
K13 CSL

My Ride: E46 M3 CSL
Rear Camber

Has any body adjusted the rear camber right out for track day's, was is better or worse on the track, & would you run the car on the road like this,will it just kill the tyres????

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Since the CSL comes with adjustable lower control arms, use them! Dial in some camber for track and then dial it back out for street use. Typically, I'm using -1.8 - -2.0 degrees of camber in the rear on the track, but -.8 - -1.2 is fine for the street. I was running -2.0 degrees on the rear for a while because I got lazy but it just killed the inside of the tyres.

Same goes with the front camber. My car likes about -2.8 to -3.0 on the track but it's rubbish on the street. -1.5 is what I use on the street. I'd like to go more positive to about -1.2 but my camber plates won't allow it.

Last edited by FTWeisse; 07-20-2008 at 03:29 PM.
FTWeisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Back Doc

My Ride: E92 AW M3 DCT
it depends on how much ur running in front camber. but a moderate amount of negative camber for the track would be -2.5 front and -1.5 rear. you will get some uneaven tire wear, depending on your style of driving. On my mostly track car i run -3.6 front and -2.5 rear. you should have a suspension tuner help you. so you can focus on the driving part....D.
[COLOR="Red"]10'E92 AW M3 DCT /COLOR]Forgeline ZX3R w/Ti bolts under Sport Cups, 20lb carbon battery, Cobra Suzuka GT seats, AFE stageII intake, PFC BBK,Turner pullies,pedals & tune,Dinan monoball,strut bars.RDsport sway bars,toe links. MOTON's w/camber plts, SUPERSPRINT cat delete-xpipe-sport mufflers,custom four point cage, Schroth,GTS wing on carbon boot lidBACK DOC Austin,Tx.
Back Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
K13 CSL

The problem i am having is i want more speed out the corners on track but it is starting to slide when i am trying to get on the power.
I was thinking more camber on the rear as the CSL can be ajusted ???
Old 07-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
FTWeisse

Disregard my previous post about rear camber...I'm running -1.5...I used to run 1.8 - 2.0 when I didn't want to change up the camber. Wasn't thinking when I made the post.

As for your sliding problem, obviously you're going to slide due to the LSD but I don't know if that's so much of a camber issue Maybe it's a grip issue that could be solved by going with a bigger or better (or both) tyre. PM MRSHELLEY...there's another alignment thread in this forum and he's posted up some pretty good info there...
Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
K13 CSL

I run cups on my CSL
Old 07-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
FTWeisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13 CSL View Post
I run cups on my CSL
I went through 2 sets of cups on my car...ended up switching over to different tyres because they didn't last enough and really hurt my wallet

BTW, I love you have the black CSL...really rare If it's right-hand drive then even moreso

Last edited by FTWeisse; 07-21-2008 at 03:22 PM.
FTWeisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
aakRacing

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
To properly gauge how much camber the car needs you need to do tire temps across all four tires at a track day. Have a buddy do the temps as you come into the hot pits. With a GPS data logger we have found -2.8 to -3.0 of front camber and -2.5 rear camber provided the most lateral grip on my E46 M3. Also, agressive toe kills the tire not camber. I use .20 deg total toe-out in the front and .40 deg total toe-in at the rear. Now this toe setting is agressive esp the rear. The front is not too bad, I got over 20k miles out of my front tires. My M3 is only driven to and from track days and autocross so its not a daily driver. To overcome the OP oversteering issue the car needs negitive camber and you can set the front toe to zero and some toe-in at the rear will also reduce the oversteer.
aakRacing is offline   Reply With Quote