E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
bui_johnny

My Ride: m3 e46 and e36
What is the "EML" yellow light on the instrument?

hello,

do any know What is the "EML" yellow light on the instrument?

Johnny
bui_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Slick-Vic

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Tiag
No idea what it is but I remember before I bought mine I test drove one that had that EML warning that was lit...kinda curious to what it is now as well...

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Slick-Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
jtrejo

My Ride: e46 m3
engine malfunction light i believe
Old 09-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
Slick-Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrejo View Post
engine malfunction light i believe
haha thats not a good sign...

or does it mean early money loss?

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Ian M3

My Ride: '03 E46M3 Cab
Hey bro... that's serious! or could be! Its Emissions, and a definite "Early Money Lost." Happened to me a few months ago. I ignored it for a day. The next day, I completely loss power on the freeway, clutched it and went home. The following morning same thing happened. I took it in to the dealer. Somehow, something was wrong with my Cat Converters. They replaced both, for a little over 3Gs. Lucky me, my service provider took care of me, and found a loop hole under a one time emissions warranty replacement. The extended warranty or maintenance doesnt cover it. I dont understand how that had to do with anything with the car losing power??? You may want to get it checked out... sorry...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
bui_johnny

i loss all the power, the dsc light lighting to.. but when i turn off, then turn on again, its gone, but it comming back. ****, can it be something wrong with the air?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Ian M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bui_johnny View Post
i loss all the power, the dsc light lighting to.. but when i turn off, then turn on again, its gone, but it comming back. ****, can it be something wrong with the air?
Yeah my DSC came on as well, before I loss power. I'm not sure what caused it, and neither is the dealer... although it's strange to have to replace Cats on an '03. The dealer was befuddled as well.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
bui_johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M3 View Post
Yeah my DSC came on as well, before I loss power. I'm not sure what caused it, and neither is the dealer... although it's strange to have to replace Cats on an '03. The dealer was befuddled as well.

hi, i got it from m3 forum

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...MW/EML-BMW.pdf

but my english bad, didnt understand so much..
Old 09-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Ian M3

Quote:
hi, i got it from m3 forum

http://www.europeantransmissions.com...MW/EML-BMW.pdf

but my english bad, didnt understand so much..

I cant open up the link???
Old 09-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
bui_johnny

Quote:
I cant open up the link???

ok, try here

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=227498
Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
Ian M3

All that says is what the EML System is for. It electronically manages the signal from your accelerator, matching it to the output of your throttles. It doesnt really say what the reasons are for the alert notice. However, by reading it... you can get an idea its something to do with your engine management, meaning... why doesnt your throttle respond to your pressing of the accelerator. It could be a faulty chip needing replacing. I am not sure how expensive that is... I also, dont understand why in my case it turned out to be my cat converters. You are going to have to take it in... thats the part that is going to suck!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
Slick-Vic

Sorry Johnny hope everything works out GL...

Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
bui_johnny

Quote:
All that says is what the EML System is for. It electronically manages the signal from your accelerator, matching it to the output of your throttles. It doesnt really say what the reasons are for the alert notice. However, by reading it... you can get an idea its something to do with your engine management, meaning... why doesnt your throttle respond to your pressing of the accelerator. It could be a faulty chip needing replacing. I am not sure how expensive that is... I also, dont understand why in my case it turned out to be my cat converters. You are going to have to take it in... thats the part that is going to suck!

i had already mounted carbon airbox. maybe course of that.. going to the delear on monday and take a diagnose...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #14
bui_johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick-Vic View Post
Sorry Johnny hope everything works out GL...
thanks for that mate!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #15
Ian M3

Quote:
i had already mounted carbon airbox. maybe course of that.. going to the delear on monday and take a diagnose...
Oh... maybe it could be that, could be throwing your airflow off and the EML cant configure the correct flow... hopefully its that simple. Good luck Bro, let me know what they say.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #16
bui_johnny

Quote:
Oh... maybe it could be that, could be throwing your airflow off and the EML cant configure the correct flow... hopefully its that simple. Good luck Bro, let me know what they say.
Thanks for that Bro! you will here from me. thanks for the all helping
Old 09-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
Slick-Vic

Not sure if this would help any but I saw this as well talks about EML problems...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...t-sensors.html

Old 09-06-2008, 12:56 AM   #18
HiRide

My Ride: 2002 M3 CB/Cinn
what it means is that the EML light only comes on when you have a throttle related problem. What its saying is that if the EML light is on, you have a throttle pedal, or TPS, or throttle body problem that could be related to vacuum.

If you are in limp mode and the EML light comes on you most likely have a faulty TPS sensor. There are TWO tps sensors in the car.

One is the actual GAS PEDAL which is the most common failure. The other is the TPS sitting just over the oil filter attached to the throttle bodies.

It could also be the throttle body servo motor, but not likely at all. Also, do not let BMW tell you that you need to replace all the throttle bodies. Thats crap... the most you would have to do is get new servo motor and recalibrate the system.

Sounds like its the TPS or pedal though.

Also, the Cats had nothing to do with that EML... the only time you will replace cats is if you get a SES light with o2 sensor codes. Think about it... what are the only sensors that can tell you if the cats are working. O2 sensors, and they can only tell you whether the exhaust gas after the cats has too much fuel in it. The only way would be the cats being so clogged the exhaust could not even get through and you would have had check engine lights for months and the car running rich as hell for that to happen.... Even then, you should not get EML.

Also, you can completely remove the cats and run with the SES light and no limp mode... The dealership should have never even suggested cats. I dont understand how BMW can build a car, and then BMW does not know how its own diagnosis system works.... And yet everytime you go into the dealership they always look so confused when the SES or EML light comes on. No one ever knows what the EML light is for and it never stores codes that can be read through the OBD system.

I just dont get it... anyway, long story short. cats cant cause the problem. most likely TPS or pedal. It is actually pretty common, but no one ever posts their success on fixing the problem after they post up about the EML light.

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti
“When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round.”
- Hans Stuck
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines"
- Enzo Ferrari

HiRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #19
Ian M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRide View Post
what it means is that the EML light only comes on when you have a throttle related problem. What its saying is that if the EML light is on, you have a throttle pedal, or TPS, or throttle body problem that could be related to vacuum.

If you are in limp mode and the EML light comes on you most likely have a faulty TPS sensor. There are TWO tps sensors in the car.

One is the actual GAS PEDAL which is the most common failure. The other is the TPS sitting just over the oil filter attached to the throttle bodies.

It could also be the throttle body servo motor, but not likely at all. Also, do not let BMW tell you that you need to replace all the throttle bodies. Thats crap... the most you would have to do is get new servo motor and recalibrate the system.

Sounds like its the TPS or pedal though.

Also, the Cats had nothing to do with that EML... the only time you will replace cats is if you get a SES light with o2 sensor codes. Think about it... what are the only sensors that can tell you if the cats are working. O2 sensors, and they can only tell you whether the exhaust gas after the cats has too much fuel in it. The only way would be the cats being so clogged the exhaust could not even get through and you would have had check engine lights for months and the car running rich as hell for that to happen.... Even then, you should not get EML.

Also, you can completely remove the cats and run with the SES light and no limp mode... The dealership should have never even suggested cats. I dont understand how BMW can build a car, and then BMW does not know how its own diagnosis system works.... And yet everytime you go into the dealership they always look so confused when the SES or EML light comes on. No one ever knows what the EML light is for and it never stores codes that can be read through the OBD system.

I just dont get it... anyway, long story short. cats cant cause the problem. most likely TPS or pedal. It is actually pretty common, but no one ever posts their success on fixing the problem after they post up about the EML light.

Thanks for the info... I agree! I hate when I go to the dealer, and I know more than them... especially, I am far from being a mechanic... lol. YEah, thats what they told me it was... the catalytic converters. They changed both of them. Then I had to go back due to a loud rattling sound... they left a chunk of metal somewhere in the exhaust and had to pull the exhaust completely off to find it...
Old 09-07-2008, 12:33 AM   #20
HiRide

My Ride: 2002 M3 CB/Cinn
yeah, sometimes I wonder if they are really that stupid or if they are just trying to get money out of you. But then I see this stuff with cars under warranty as well as paying jobs.

I had my coils go out and they tried to tell me it was the MAF and my aftermarket intake needs to be taken off in order to diagnose. They then tried to sell me a stock intake before diagnosing for $1000. When I said i had the stock intake at home, you know what they said...

"Are you sure its working properly, you might just want to buy a new one" ITS A PLASTIC BOX YOU PR!CK!!

Then they pulled the codes and it said misfire on cylinder 1 and they still wouldnt admit it was a coil, they even said the mechanic pulled the MAF out of the intake and the car ran better. They even charged me $240 for the diagnosis...

I had towed the car there, I then had to pay after using my free tow from insurance (per incident) to tow the car back to my buddy's shop. I borrowed some tools and moved coil 1 to coil 6 and cleared codes. Started car and guess what... misfire cylinder 6. I went back to BMW, drove the car 5MPH the whole way with friends blocking around me and then got really really mad.

They paid for my rental, my tow, refunded the $240 (2 hours of labor for reading a computer screen in 15 seconds!!!) and slapped on new coils and washed my car and replaced some missing engine cover bolts. the manager also apologized for the new service rep who is from california and not used to people knowing so much about the car. What does that mean?

Dude, the car itself said MISFIRE on cylinder one... $120/hr with a shop of nothing but BMW master techs and no one checked the damn coil...

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti
“When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round.”
- Hans Stuck
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines"
- Enzo Ferrari

HiRide is offline   Reply With Quote