E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
THXZHP

My Ride: IR ZHP sedan
Lowering ZHP Sedan, Couple Questions

hey everyone, so i'm gathering information about lowering my car. i have a 2004 330i ZHP so as yyou know it already comes with a lower suspension setup than your average sport package equip sedan ... with that said could i get away with an eibach pro or sportline lowering spring kit? i have 19x8.5 in 235/35/19 in the front with a +40mm offset and 19x9.5 in 265/20/19 in the rear with a +39mm offset. i rub slightly in the rear even after rolling my fenders and am worried that the problem will only worsen depending on how low i go. what can i do to prevent rubbing when lowering my car and what would give me the best drop given that i want to rid my car of any fender gap that exist (don't think i want to slam it but what'd you think?) opinions and comments please, i'm dying here!

regards,
tyler
THXZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
hey tyler, i also have a 330 whatcya-ma-call it and have just completely took of my shocks and suspension for ultimate lowering appearance. i highly recomend you do this aswell as it would compliment your offsets.

Regards,
Rob chavis

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
samBROchill330i

My Ride: Dinan 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy1989 View Post
hey tyler, i also have a 330 whatcya-ma-call it and have just completely took of my shocks and suspension for ultimate lowering appearance. i highly recomend you do this aswell as it would compliment your offsets.

Regards,
Rob chavis
Wheels: Staggered 19" V710s on T1Rs
samBROchill330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
Arrows

My Ride: 2000 323i.
Send a message via AIM to Arrows Send a message via MSN to Arrows
Quote:
Originally Posted by THXZHP View Post
hey everyone, so i'm gathering information about lowering my car. i have a 2004 330i ZHP so as yyou know it already comes with a lower suspension setup than your average sport package equip sedan ... with that said could i get away with an eibach pro or sportline lowering spring kit? i have 19x8.5 in 235/35/19 in the front with a +40mm offset and 19x9.5 in 265/20/19 in the rear with a +39mm offset. i rub slightly in the rear even after rolling my fenders and am worried that the problem will only worsen depending on how low i go. what can i do to prevent rubbing when lowering my car and what would give me the best drop given that i want to rid my car of any fender gap that exist (don't think i want to slam it but what'd you think?) opinions and comments please, i'm dying here!

regards,
tyler
Firstly, I hope your running 265/30/19 and not 265/20/19. Sedans have a little less rear clearance for tires than coupes, so the max I suggest on sedans is 255. If you get 255's in the rears, you're rubbing should go away, unless fenders weren't rolled well.

As for springs, what kind of drop are you looking for? I'd suggest getting coilovers if funds permit, it gives you the ability to adjust your ride height to what your satisfied with, or at the minimum a spring and shock combo like the H&R Cupkit.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
THXZHP

My Ride: IR ZHP sedan
huggy1989

okay? that's why you go off and install struts only to have them blow through your trunk liner and stop searching every post of mine and commenting on it.

arrows

the drop i'm looking for is similar to that of xjunmoonx though i believe he has coilovers ... and if not then just enough to rid my car of the fender gap, even with the h&r cup kit there's still some it seems like.

regards,
tyler
THXZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
jun is on coils. coils are your best bet man as for the rubbing maybe u need a more aggressive rol.. did u take all the gunk out of the lining?

265 is just too wide.. 255 will be better but i would rock 245's. thats my preference... with a sloped sidewall just to be safe
Old 08-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
04 ZHP in UT

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
I think coilovers are going to be your best bet. I just put Bilstein PSS on my ZHP about a month ago. I did it for the same reason you're looking for. I didn't want it slammed just wanted to get rid of the gap. I think in the long run the ability to adjust the height to what YOU want is well worth the extra $$.

2007 RS4/Tubi Exhaust
2004 Imola Red ZHP (Sold)
04 ZHP in UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
they blew through the trunk so i could get the appearance of hydrolics for my bimmer

regards, Rob Chavis Jr.

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
ModBargains
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 325e & E46 ZHP
The best solution is to go with a good set of coilovers and just be done with it. With lowering springs you are going to have to replace your shocks a little more down the line. Then you will end up paying more with parts and labor, rather than just getting a set of coilovers in the first place. I recommend going with some ST coilovers. They are very affordable and we have received nothing but great reviews from all of the people who have purchased them. Including the owner of ModBargains.com. Let me know if I can help you get a set.
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates!
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote