E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #81
kerisabe

My Ride: BMW E46 2.5
Send a message via MSN to kerisabe
VIP FTW! Sick pics...
kerisabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #82
THXZHP

My Ride: IR ZHP sedan
kpeng exhaust, what's needed?

pretty self explanatory, what's needed for the kpeng exhaust? kpeng, don't hate as I did not search ... am at school and on my iphone
THXZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #83
M3LTDOWN

My Ride: Range Rover on 22's
Send a message via AIM to M3LTDOWN Send a message via MSN to M3LTDOWN
glass pack resonators
Old 09-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #84
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
2 glasspacks + 2 tips.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #85
pinoycowboy

My Ride: VW GLI & Passat TDI
Send a message via ICQ to pinoycowboy Send a message via AIM to pinoycowboy
and some extra exhaust piping to replace the removed muffler and resonator

e46 SOLD :(
pinoycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #86
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
i bought 2 magnaflow tips and drove to the muffler shop. Thats it, they have glasspacks. dont pay more than 120-140 for material and labor, not including the tips.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #87
33ZeroXi

My Ride: BMW 330XI
"Kpeng Exhaust"

So i was searching and came across this i dont have much money for an exhaust so this seems like a great option... Only problem is i have no idea what it is lol i hear people remove the resonators or something like that but from what this looks like it is as if they are just cutting off the muffler and adding some piping and some tips, is this correct and if so how much are shops charging to do this and im gonna assume i will be able to put the muffler back on in the future right? Lastly will I be able to pass NJ emissions test after the muffler is cut off? here is a link to what i found talking about kpengs exhaust but it doesnt talk about what he did from the start and yes i searched thats how i found this

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=418129
|AFE Intake|ZHP Shift Knob|Smoked Corners, Side Markers and Tails|Blacked Out Grill|Blacked Out Emblems|Umnitza Predator Orion V2 Angel Eyes|M3 Trunk Lip|Eibach Pro-Kit Springs|18" VMR GunMetal CSL Reps|CSL M3 Front Bumper|B&M SSK|Carbon Fiber Interior Trim|30% Tint|6000K Bulbs|ACS Roof Spoiler|Interior LEDs|

Hit the clutch, hit the gear, hit the gas & Im gone
33ZeroXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #88
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
do a search for "cherry bomb mike". he started the ghetto exhaust. resonators are basically small mufflers that run inline. in this case they are through flow cannisters that are packed with fiberglass to muffle the sound. "cherry bomb" is the brand of resonator.

here is one
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...erry+bomb+mike

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 02-17-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #89
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
cutting the muffler off and running pipes is great, it sound agressive and its not too loud at all, just slightly louder than stock. im getting my muffler gutted by a friend, when that goes back on hopefully this week, ill make a post about it. something like that will probably cost you around $150, of course if u know someone it will be much less.
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #90
NightWolfe

My Ride: 02' 330CI
Page 2 of my thread here .. have pics of the setup and a couple vids as well

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...exhaust&page=2
Old 02-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #91
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrothunderr86 View Post
cutting the muffler off and running pipes is great, it sound agressive and its not too loud at all, just slightly louder than stock. im getting my muffler gutted by a friend, when that goes back on hopefully this week, ill make a post about it. something like that will probably cost you around $150, of course if u know someone it will be much less.
Matter of opinion... some would say it's a bit obnoxious...

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #92
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
its really not that much louder, the only time it gets much louder is when youre hard on the gas. it mostly gives it a more aggressive growl
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #93
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWolfe View Post
Page 2 of my thread here .. have pics of the setup and a couple vids as well

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...exhaust&page=2
Not bad, I saw your vids a while ago. Sounds good. But did you remove your resonator/s?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #94
beemteam1001

My Ride: E46 323i
i got my resonator taken out and i costed $20
beemteam1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #95
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrothunderr86 View Post
Are you serious? Cutting your muffler and running pipes in its place is "slightly louder than stock"

You have to be joking... here is a clip of my car with that exact setup. To say it's "slightly louder" is comedic. I am not trying to be a jack@$$ but don't mislead somebody like that...

To the OP, if you want something slightly louder than what you have now and are looking to pinch pennies, order two "Glasspacks" and two exhaust tips online, take them to an exhaust shop, tell them to cut off your current exhaust, put the glasspacks in their place, and install tips on the end of it. Search for Kpeng exhaust (by title of thread) and you will find video's of ken's old exhaust setup. Do it that way and, should you decide you want more volume later, you can eliminate the glasspacks and just run piping in the exhaust's place.

| 435 HP 328Ci | Mechanical Work : RRT Racing | Vinyl Work : Designer Wraps | Vorsteiner | STATUS Racing |
Timeless Motor Group
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #96
n2Bimmer

i did this before, Basically you cut out the muffler and weld in Glasspacks and exhaust tips on the glass packs, it sounds nice in lower RPM but when you at WOT it sounds like its farting, like air blowing out with stuff in its way. It cost me about 190 dollars with Everything.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #97
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
i did this before, Basically you cut out the muffler and weld in Glasspacks and exhaust tips on the glass packs, it sounds nice in lower RPM but when you at WOT it sounds like its farting, like air blowing out with stuff in its way. It cost me about 190 dollars with Everything.
The glasspacks should be installed where the resonators are, not where the muffler was. That should improve the sound. I'm having the second resonator and muffler removed this weekend and having 2.25 pipes run from the first resonator back and a nice set of tips on the end. I'll post pics and vids as to how it sounds and how much it cost. A friend had this done and said he loves the sound.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #98
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
That kicks ass. Arg, I want to do the straight pipes now, but I still have the stock bumper
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #99
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02m3csl325 View Post
The glasspacks should be installed where the resonators are, not where the muffler was. That should improve the sound. I'm having the second resonator and muffler removed this weekend and having 2.25 pipes run from the first resonator back and a nice set of tips on the end. I'll post pics and vids as to how it sounds and how much it cost. A friend had this done and said he loves the sound.
If i may, you might want to remove the exhaust, drive around like that for a while, and then make a decision on removing a resonator. Far easier to chop more off later than it is to add on.

I say this as i have the muffler delete with both resonators in place and it's plenty loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
That kicks ass. Arg, I want to do the straight pipes now, but I still have the stock bumper
Like i was hinting at above, that is with both resonators in place and only the muffler removed. Taking off the muffler and resonator(s) will be far LOUDER than most are anticipating.

| 435 HP 328Ci | Mechanical Work : RRT Racing | Vinyl Work : Designer Wraps | Vorsteiner | STATUS Racing |
Timeless Motor Group
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #100
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02m3csl325 View Post
well i was told to place it where the muffler was, thats what alot of people were doing.