E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
andrewmacc

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Unhappy Engine or transmission troubles?

Oh boy. I wasn't expecting to have troubles this soon after buying my car. I own a 2000 BMW 323i with a 5-speed transmission. I bought it with 110,000 kilometres on it, and I've put on 5,000 so far. I've been recently encountering an extraordinarily frustrating issue while driving - and it's much more prevalent during more enthusiastic driving, as you might expect. My heart's starting to sink for this one because it feels like it might be a big wad of cash out of my pocket that I don't have. A little gut-churning and chest pressure because of that.

So, to get down to it;
firstly, when I downshift, the engine/transmission almost shudders as the RPM's rise to slow the car down. It's not like it's an intense jerking, but it's a subtle shudder that I'm not totally sure is typical or not.

And then my main and exasperatingly maddening problem (in story form because this is what happens most frequently): say I'm at a dead stop. I have to turn left and I need to be a little heavier on the pedal to get in the gap between traffic because it's rush hour. So going through first gear is fine, second gear is iffy but still okay, but third and fourth especially is when the problem begins to become blatantly apparent. The revs climb up as if I'm just slightly riding on the clutch by accident, keeping the engine and transmission only mostly engaged. So, the RPM's increase quite a bit between three and four thousand, but it doesn't feel as though it's actually pushing the car like it should be at those rotational speeds.

I know my explanation is a little longer than necessary but it's kind of hard for me to explain. It's like the gears aren't fully engaging, causing the RPM's to rise more than is actually being used to accelerate the car.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated. My friend seems to think my gears may be missing a few (or a bunch of) teeth, but I don't understand how, as I'm not exactly grinding my gears every time I shift. I'm actually fairly proud to say I'm very proficient with a manual transmission.

Anyway. Thanks infinitely in advance.

Last edited by andrewmacc; 09-02-2008 at 06:11 PM.
andrewmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i
In case you have not figured it out, this is textbook definition of a slipping clutch.