E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
To the HPF guys, what brand racing fuel are you using?

I know the normal that most people use is VP racing 110 leaded and Sunocco "the standard" which is there 110 leaded.

The cheapest place in town I found sells Rockett Brand racing fuel and it is 111 leaded and it is almost $1 cheaper a gallon than VP.

Here is a link to the Rockett Brand racing fuels:
http://www.rockettbrand.com/productspecs/specs.html

Will this be ok to use?

Here are the stats of all three brands:

VP 110 leaded
Color: Purple
MON: 107
RON 113
R+M/2 = 110
Specific Gravity: .720-.735 @ 60 F

Rockett 111 leaded
Color: Red
MON: 106
RON 116
R+M/2 = 111
Specific Gravity: .726 @ 60 F

Sunocco "the standard" 110 leaded
MON: 105
RON 115
R+M/2 = 110
Specific Gravity: .728 @ 60 F

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
OCswedishM3

My Ride: E63 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowss, View Post
I know the normal that most people use is VP racing 110 leaded and Sunocco "the standard" which is there 110 leaded.

The cheapest place in town I found sells Rockett Brand racing fuel and it is 111 leaded and it is almost $1 cheaper a gallon than VP.

Here is a link to the Rockett Brand racing fuels:
http://www.rockettbrand.com/productspecs/specs.html

Will this be ok to use?

Here are the stats of all three brands:

VP 110 leaded
MON: 107
RON 113
R+M/2 = 110
Specific Gravity: .720-.735 @ 60 F

Rockett 111 leaded
Color: Red
MON: 106
RON 116
R+M/2 = 111
Specific Gravity: .726 @ 60 F

Sunocco "the standard" 110 leaded
MON: 105
RON 115
R+M/2 = 110
Specific Gravity: .728 @ 60 F
Vp is overrated. The best brand is Sunoco, and it is cheaper. Never heard of rockett before. Why dont you run Sunoco GT+. It is unleaded and will provide just as much protection as 110 leaded(and more power). And wont destroy your o2 sensors.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
gasser

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCswedishM3 View Post
Vp is overrated. The best brand is Sunoco, and it is cheaper. Never heard of rockett before. Why dont you run Sunoco GT+. It is unleaded and will provide just as much protection as 110 leaded(and more power). And wont destroy your o2 sensors.
The race gas setup for the HPF cars requires minimum 110oct. GT+ is only 104oct and won't provide as much protection as 110. It will give you some more power b/c it is oxygenated, but that is usually due to it leaning you out some. More octane (leaded gas) will keep the detonation issues down, allowing more timing, but does kill the O2 sensors. I ran 5-10 gallons of leaded through my Audi S4 all the time and just made sure to dilute it with unleaded after I was done having fun. I probably ran 100+gallons of leaded through it and NO issues with my sensors. I data-logged every 1/4 mile run and tuning session and the sensors would react slower for a few days, then they would be ok again. I know it would eventually kill them, but it is the price to pay for being able to turn up the boost and keep the timing high. Just my 2cents....
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCswedishM3 View Post
I havent found any places here in vegas that sells sunocco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
The race gas setup for the HPF cars requires minimum 110oct. GT+ is only 104oct and won't provide as much protection as 110. It will give you some more power b/c it is oxygenated, but that is usually due to it leaning you out some. More octane (leaded gas) will keep the detonation issues down, allowing more timing, but does kill the O2 sensors. I ran 5-10 gallons of leaded through my Audi S4 all the time and just made sure to dilute it with unleaded after I was done having fun. I probably ran 100+gallons of leaded through it and NO issues with my sensors. I data-logged every 1/4 mile run and tuning session and the sensors would react slower for a few days, then they would be ok again. I know it would eventually kill them, but it is the price to pay for being able to turn up the boost and keep the timing high. Just my 2cents....
I see you are in vegas, Have you seen 110 leaded around? Preferbly on the west side of town.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
OCswedishM3

My Ride: E63 AMG
Quote:
I havent found any places here in vegas that sells sunocco.

I see you are in vegas, Have you seen 110 leaded around? Preferbly on the west side of town.
PM me and i'll give you the number to my wholesale account. You can only order 55gallon drums though , so you would have to store it in your garage or in your backyard. If i were you i would order the Sunoco 112 leaded.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
pastE36prsntE46

My Ride: HPF STG 3; 95 FI M3
What is the approximate price per gallon?
pastE36prsntE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastE36prsntE46 View Post
What is the approximate price per gallon?
I found VP 110 for a little over $8 a gallon and Rockett Brand 111 for $7.25 a gallon. The only problem is I have to drive 40 minutes to get the VP and the Rockett Brand is 5 minutes away.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
funkboy316

My Ride: 2003 M3 vert
i use the sunoco 112 leaded.

2003 TiAg HPF stage 2.5 SMG M3 vert
funkboy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
gasser

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
I found VP 110 for a little over $8 a gallon and Rockett Brand 111 for $7.25 a gallon. The only problem is I have to drive 40 minutes to get the VP and the Rockett Brand is 5 minutes away.
Hey Ray, it's me Brian from down the street, this is just a different screen name than I use on the other forum. Where did you find the Rockett fuel so close? Just use that stuff, cheaper and closer. I know of plenty of people that have used it and works just fine. Also, just FYI, Sunoco and Turbo Blue are the same gas, just different names. I am wondering if Rockett is the same gas as someone else?????
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
Hey Ray, it's me Brian from down the street, this is just a different screen name than I use on the other forum. Where did you find the Rockett fuel so close? Just use that stuff, cheaper and closer. I know of plenty of people that have used it and works just fine. Also, just FYI, Sunoco and Turbo Blue are the same gas, just different names. I am wondering if Rockett is the same gas as someone else?????
Its sold at rebel oil on sahara and the 15, right by cheetas
I talked to Chris at hpf and he said make sure its 110 motor octane. He suggested vp and sunocco only.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
rmz

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG
Torco 110 Leaded (from the pump, at a local station ) @ $6.75/gal
Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
tankm3

My Ride: 03 M3
Rockett 111 here.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankm3 View Post
Rockett 111 here.
Perfect, finally someone that uses it. Im on my way to the pump.