E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
skipole

My Ride: '02 330ci
Value in SS Brake Lines, High-End Fluid

Hi all - I just bought a set of Akebono Euro Ceramic pads & Zimmerman OEM blank rotors for my '02 330ci. Also going to grab a set of new wear sensors.

I would like some expert opinions on whether or not it would be valuable to also purchase some SS brake lines (either EBay brand or otherwise). I drive the car very hard, but I do not ever take it to the track so it's just used in general hard daily driving. Will there be any perceivable difference?

Also wondering if brake fluids like Motul or ATE are any better than what my local Indy mechanic would use? Any sense in buying some high quality stuff, or will I not notice any difference?

Thanks in advance!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 AM   #2
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
There is no doubt that SS Lines and high performance fluid would be better than stock. That is why they make them. The real question is do you need them?

I track my car as often as I can and use Oem rotors, Oem fluid, and Oem lines with a dedicated track pad. I have never had a problem or experienced any brake fade. The weakest link in the system has always been the tires which are Toyo T1R's. The brakes will over power the tires and available traction every time with this set up. I do have to change the fluid after every trackday though.

So with that being said, if you want to get fancy with your brake set up go ahead. It certainly won't hurt anything but the stock set up works well on the track so you will probably be hard pressed to over work it on the street.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
skipole

My Ride: '02 330ci
Thanks for the input, elite. I have decided against the high performance fluid, but I am still up in the air about the stainless lines... do you think they would have any impact on pedal feel? I've heard this is one thing that suffers when you switch to aftermarket ceramic pads. Perhaps SS lines are the remedy?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I have StopTech SS Brake Lines and Motul RBF600 Fluid (along with Axxis Ultimates and PowerSlot Slotted rotors), and the SS brake lines really do improve pedal feel; mine is now much stiffer and feels much more "linear", in that a given amount of distance-pushed on the pedal will give a linear increase in stopping power. There is no "guessing" as to how hard to press the pedal to stop. Can't comment as much on the fluid, but I suppose it's very high boiling temperature helps with brake feel and certainly would help with fade resistance. It's not significantly more expensive than alternatives, so might as well go for it.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
i'll have a review up shortly. got SS lines in my car recently, and doing a full fluid flush with ATE Blue on sat.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
myksbmw

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
I think that over time the OEM brake lines could weaken and could cause decrease in braking power. SS brake lines are said to be more durable over time.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
wuzilla

My Ride: 2001 325it
When push comes to shove, performance brake fluid will be more likely to save your butt then stainless steel lines. If you're flying down a backcountry road, and your pedal suddenly sinks to the floor, it's not going to be because of the lines (and if it is, you're screwed with or without stainless crap).

ATE is $10 a liter (at least in the states), and if you're smart about it, a liter is all you need to flush your system. Heck, at worst, you'll spend $20. Skip the trip to McD's 4 times a week, and you just bought yourself some high perf. fluid!!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
JonnyB

My Ride: 2002 330i
I added SS lines and I didn't notice a difference. Our stock lines are much much stronger than you think. The SS lines look really cool though.
JonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
lilbusa600
Donkey Kong Racing

My Ride: needs a new heart
Send a message via Yahoo to lilbusa600 Send a message via Skype™ to lilbusa600
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
i'll have a review up shortly. got SS lines in my car recently, and doing a full fluid flush with ATE Blue on sat.
Have you noticed any difference with the SS lines?

UUC Lightweight Flywheel, UUC SSK & DSSR, UUC Anti-Swaybars, and Supersport Coilovers + ME = Fun FTMFW!!!
Euro-Spec front and rear M3 bumpers

Myspace
Facebook
Cardomain

lilbusa600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Red 90

My Ride: 325i
Brake fluid, I would think you should go with the best you can find as the cost difference is very minimal compared to the labor work involved. In terms of the SS brake lines, that's a toss up. With older cars, OEM brake lines do tend to deteriorate and expand causing less connected feel and poor modulation. With that said, our cars really aren't that old anymore and the construction may be better. I know that with my older 1990 miata, the SS brake lines do make a big difference due to the deteriorated brake lines, old brake fluid and brake modulation is much more important as it didn't have ABS. Personnally I wouldn't think it would be necessary for SS brake lines for street use, however for your piece of mind, it might be nice to get the SS lines. Cost isn't huge on those either.
Red 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
sorry not to update.

bite is better, but not what i was expecting really. for the low cost of the upgrade, i'd say do it. but no need to buy expensive lines, ebay were of good quality and fit my driving purposes for sure.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #12
VivaM3

My Ride: 95 Toyota Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
I track my car as often as I can and use Oem rotors, Oem fluid, and Oem lines with a dedicated track pad. I have never had a problem or experienced any brake fade. The weakest link in the system has always been the tires which are Toyo T1R's. The brakes will over power the tires and available traction every time with this set up. I do have to change the fluid after every trackday though.
be weary though...the minute you switch to a newer/better tire, you will be able to brake later and harder. with the tires no longer the bottleneck, you'll either experience brake fade via excessively high pad/rotor temps, or excessively high brake fluid temps (probably the latter for you since you have dedicated track pads). remember, the OEM fluid might be great on the streets, but you'll see higher brake fluid temps after you switch tires and start braking later/harder - more than likely enough to warrant the switch to high performance fluid.

when i attended my first few track outings my tires were my handicap, and so like you, brake fade was not an issue...but the minute i switched to a stickier tire i realized that two hot laps around the average circuit or road course was enough to fade my OEM brakes. i also experienced the same exact thing (2nd lap brake fade) while riding shotgun in an e46 M3 with OEM brakes...and the driver was an instructor and FAR better driver than myself. if OEM M3 or Supra brakes fade after a few hot laps on the track, i suspect 325ci brakes would fade even sooner, provided your tires are doing their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
I have StopTech SS Brake Lines...and the SS brake lines really do improve pedal feel...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyB View Post
I added SS lines and I didn't notice a difference. Our stock lines are much much stronger than you think...
OP, the varying responses just go to show you that it really depends on where you're coming from (i.e. what type/condition your brake lines are in now). like JonnyB, i hardly noticed a difference when i upgraded to SS lines. but i also believe those who say they do feel a significant difference after going to SS lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipole View Post
...I have decided against the high performance fluid...
good decision...since you don't ever plan on taking it to a track event, you won't need high perofrmance fluid. you'll never brake hard and often enough of the streets to bring your brake fluid up to unsafe temperatrures.

Tags
brakes, stainless