E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Weight distribution after ESS TS2 install & Spare tire removal

I was wondering how these mods affect the 50/50 distribution and handling of our cars. Obviously it won't be 50/50 anymore.

Spare tire (saver) is around 30 lb

ESS TS2 (all parts together): 83.6 lb

So, by removing the saver tire in the trunk, I take off 30lb from the rear but ADD 83.6 lb in the front. Is there a way to compensate for this using sways or some suspension work?

It would be a good idea to remove 113.6 lb (weight of TS2+spare tire) from the front end to compensate but I have no idea from where

Haven't found any relevant topics

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
you could try either a M3 hood OR a CF hood to offset the weight directly in the front.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
As mentioned, a lighter hood would probably be the single biggest change (edit: in mass distribution) you could make. Helps that it's up high too.

On a side note, I think the weight you listed for the TS was the shipping weight. I weighed the manifold/SC assembly and it was more like 60 lbs. Remember you remove the stock manifold which offsets part of the 80+ lbs of kit parts, so in reality we've probably only really added less than 70 lbs total. That said, I could definitely feel the extra mass in my stock suspension even with H&R sways.

Are you looking for a numerically balanced car or just to restore the handling balance? I honestly don't think you can remove enough weight from other places to fully compensate. A CF hood and/or stripping out the a/c, washer fluid reservoir, etc were also not options I was willing to consider.

I have successfully restored the pre-TS balance and generally all around improved the handling of my car with a suspension upgrade. I installed AST 4100 coilovers a few weeks ago and absolutely love my car's ride and handling balance. I went with 500 lb/in springs up front and 550 lb/in in the rear, as recommended by Vorshlag for a primarily street driven car. Between the higher rate springs and the use of linear as opposed to progressive springs, the car no longer feels nose heavy. In fact, if it weren't for the added power and the TS whine, you would completely forget the TS was there.

If you're still running a stock suspension, I think your best bet would be to upgrade to something stiffer. I believe in previous threads that others have reported being happy with a PSS9 setup as well.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 09-19-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added clarification to first sentence
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
paraklas

hmmm not a bad idea, how much is the difference in lb between the 2 hoods? Might as well use a CF bumper bar instead of the stock
Old 09-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #5
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
As mentioned, a lighter hood would probably be the single biggest change you could make. Helps that it's up high too.

On a side note, I think the weight you listed for the TS was the shipping weight. I weighed the manifold/SC assembly and it was more like 60 lbs. Remember you remove the stock manifold which offsets part of the 80+ lbs of kit parts, so in reality we've probably only really added less than 70 lbs total. That said, I could definitely feel the extra mass in my stock suspension even with H&R sways.

Are you looking for a numerically balanced car or just to restore the handling balance? I honestly don't think you can remove enough weight from other places to fully compensate. A CF hood and/or stripping out the a/c, washer fluid reservoir, etc were also not options I was willing to consider.

I have successfully restored the pre-TS balance and generally all around improved the handling of my car with a suspension upgrade. I installed AST 4100 coilovers a few weeks ago and absolutely love my car's ride and handling balance. I went with 500 lb/in springs up front and 550 lb/in in the rear, as recommended by Vorshlag for a primarily street driven car. Between the higher rate springs and the use of linear as opposed to progressive springs, the car no longer feels nose heavy. In fact, if it weren't for the added power and the TS whine, you would completely forget the TS was there.

If you're still running a stock suspension, I think your best bet would be to upgrade to something stiffer. I believe in previous threads that others have reported being happy with a PSS9 setup as well.
Thank you!

I'm running OEM sport shocks with eibach pro-kit & meyle CA and bushings. not much done to tell the truth.

I am looking to "to restore the handling balance" TBH, numeric values are not that important. They 50/50 number I said was to explain what has changed, I should had better said handling balance.

Last edited by paraklas; 09-19-2008 at 08:08 AM.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Removing weight from the car is much harder than removing weight from the rear. If you want to restore your car to 50/50 weight disribution, get some coilovers and get your car corner balanced. A good mod to remove weight from the car (even though its not completely from the front) is to get a pair of racing seats, this could save you about to 150lbs! Or if you want to go really extreme, you can remove your AC
Old 09-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

My Ride: ESS TS2+ 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I believe in previous threads that others have reported being happy with a PSS9 setup as well.

Yeah, I'm running PSS9's with TC Kline 400# springs up front. The handling feels just the same as it was before the TS.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Put the space saver back in and add 83 lbs to the back...50/50
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
paraklas

^^cheap solution

Thanks for the responses. seems that a decent coilover is my next mod, PSS9 considered No way to get rid of the AC here, I'd rather get rid of the s/c!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Yeah, I'm running PSS9's with TC Kline 400# springs up front. The handling feels just the same as it was before the TS.
How would the TC Klines work with Koni FSDs? Yeah, I think the best solution is to change to stiffer front springs and maybe a CF hood...
Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Just get coilovers and have the car corner balanced.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
How would the TC Klines work with Koni FSDs? Yeah, I think the best solution is to change to stiffer front springs and maybe a CF hood...
The Koni FSD is designed to run with stock-ish springs. I doubt it's got enough damping to control a spring that much stiffer.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote