E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
systemx01

My Ride: E46 M3
My EML Light is on.... : (

My EML light is on also my emissions control light has come on as well,

I took my car in to BMW today and they are telling me that its the throttle potentiometer and that its quite a large job to change it where-by it involves having the inlet manifold removed to get at it. Has anyone else had this problem? and how much were you quoted to change it?

I have been quoted around £450.00 (GBP) to have this put right does this sound right?

Thanks in advance. : )
systemx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
HiRide

My Ride: 2002 M3 CB/Cinn
thats a little high, and they are assuming it is the most difficult of the 3 TPS sensors right off the bat.

There are 3 TPS sensors on the S54. There is the one they mentioned to you which is the most expensive job, it does require removing the inlet manifold and while it is a larger job, it is not a $831 USD job...! That is crazy.

If you are not covered under warranty then you should no longer use BMW for anything. They charge over $120/hr labor here and they probably charge a similar amount in the UK.

There are two other sensors: One is located in the gas pedal and if it goes out, the entire gas pedal has to be replaced. This is the second most costly repair, but an easy one as its just a remove and replace procedure.

The cheapest TPS is the one located on the front end of the motor just above the oil filter housing. You actually have to unplug this TPS in order to change the oil. This is the cheapest and easiest TPS to replace.

I would go back to BMW and ask them if they are 100% sure that the job they want to do will fix the problem. They will most likely say no. You then ask about the other parts, the TPS sensor on the front of the motor and the gas pedal. They will most likely say that it could be those and they dont know exactly which one.

Try going to an independent BMW shop and get a diagnosis and quote from them. The sensor under the inlet manifold has been known to be the most likely culprit but its the most expensive job and not usually the one you want to try first if you dont have any concrete proof.

I would start with the TPS on the front of the motor... if that doesnt work, then i would consider going under the inlet manifold or replacing the gas pedal, but you take a gamble either way.

Good Luck!

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti
“When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round.”
- Hans Stuck
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines"
- Enzo Ferrari

HiRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
systemx01

Thanks for your advice, My car is no longer under warranty so I will try to find a specalist local to me that can do the work but I will go back to BMW and ask them wether or not they are sure that the TPS under the inlet manifold is the one that is faulty and see what they say ( I bet you are right!!)

I thought that the price they quoted was a little excessive, this is the first problem that I have had with my car so I guess i've done pretty well.............so far.

Thanks for the reply and by the way your ride looks sweet. : )
Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
CJPatel

My Ride: E92 335, F430 Spider
Hey I hope I can help, I had the same problem EML Light, along with SES light sometimes, and even Limp Mode.

I changed my TPS out today, the main one that sits on the engine; and as of right now I am problem free.

FYI I had the codes:
(232) E8 Function Check tank venting system.
(121) 79 Electric trottle: both potentiometers fautly
(119) 77 Electric trottle: signal, potentiometer servometer
(230) E6 Electric trottle: set point/Actual valve deviation
(118) 76 Electric trottle: signal potentiometer, trottle
(120) 78 Electric trottle: potentiometer, signal comparison

-Canon

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
2003.5 Mystic Blue M3 6spd :(
2009 E92 335i, MSport, 6spd
CJPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
systemx01

Hey thanks
I take it you changed the TPS that is underneath the inlet manifold? was it hard to do as I am quite competent with cars and am considering buying the part and changing it myself.

02 M3 SMG TS/LSB
Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Wilson_1987

My Ride: 330ci M Sport
Thanks for all your help lads. Need to get it plugged up to diagnostics tomorrow i think as I dont have a clue really!!!

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again
Wilson_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Flamebot

My Ride: 318Ci
This problem drove me to distraction, but I finally had it fixed recently so thought the details should go up on the site.

I too had the engine light on constantly, then after a few miles the EML light would come up and the car wouldn't go beyond 2000 rpm. Strangely, driving the car from a cold start, it could go for several hours without any problems, though as soon as I switched the car off (say, to fill up or pop to the shop) EML would kick in after restarting the engine and the car would lose power.

I've had a number of mechanics (including BMW themselves) look at this and various diagnostics machines fixed onto the car. Most temporarily switched the lights off, but never actually found a root cause and the lights came back on after a hundred miles or so.

I eventually got some joy from an independant BMW mechanic who, by chance, had seen this before - going back about 10 years. He ran diagnostics and put the problem down to a faulty Variable Valve Timing (VVT) motor. The unit was £160 (new) to replace, plus labour and diagnostics. So around £400, all in. Fairly costly, but better than a new engine as one mechanic recommended it might need!

Now the car runs fine, no lights and no loss of power. In fact, it actually runs way better and is much more responsive than it was before.
Flamebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
paula

My Ride: BMW 328ci
EML Light

This fault has been driving me to distration. When this light if off it is great but when it comes on it is so frustrating.

I have had it to 2 different garages for diagnostic. The 1st just re-set the computer and said it should be fine. The other done a diagnostic and charged me £125 for re-setting the throttle drive. Next day EML light back on and off again.

I just feel no one knows what they are doing and I am wasting money. Do I pay the earth and take it to a BMW dealer. I just want it sorted but dont know what to do as im no mechanic so I have trust what they doing and charging.
paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
iopuiu

My Ride: bmw 316i
i have the same problem like yours. pls tell me what should i do. the eml light is coming with the engine light together but after couple of hours disappear. i have a bmw 316 i, 2004,
iopuiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula View Post
This fault has been driving me to distration. When this light if off it is great but when it comes on it is so frustrating.

I have had it to 2 different garages for diagnostic. The 1st just re-set the computer and said it should be fine. The other done a diagnostic and charged me £125 for re-setting the throttle drive. Next day EML light back on and off again.

I just feel no one knows what they are doing and I am wasting money. Do I pay the earth and take it to a BMW dealer. I just want it sorted but dont know what to do as im no mechanic so I have trust what they doing and charging.
Realistically you have a few options:

(1) Take your M3 back to the shop that supposedly did the diagnostic, tell them that their repair did not alleviate the problem, and ask them to do it right this time and to discount the 125 quid that you have already spent. This option only works if you trust shop number 2 to actually get it right, and represents a huge leap of faith, since they muddled it up the first time. However, if they are good mechanics and honest chaps, they will want to get your problem properly resolved.

(2) Take your M3 to a third independent shop for diagnosis and repair. This puts you in the same position that you were in prior to going to the second shop, without any guarantee that they will be any more competent.

(3) Live with the problem. I don't recommend this option because, unless you know what is wrong, you cannot ascertain whether or not continuing to drive your M3 will result in damage. Moreover, even if the issue is a minor one, once the warning light is illuminated for an known problem, you will have no warning should something else fail in the future.

(4) Resign yourself to going to the BMW dealership and have them diagnose and repair the problem. Although the dealership will likely charge more than an independent garage, the mechanics there presumably know what they are doing, and should be willing to guarantee their work.

I would try option (1) first, and go to option (4) only if the shop balks at crediting you for the money that you have already wasted.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
iopuiu

i had the same problem with the EML light and i resolved ...thanks god! i write here the solution for everyone: 1) interrogate fault memory in diagnosing spring - 106 pounds 2) replace actuator for eccentric shaft -almost 384 pounds ...total price plus v.a.t 506 pounds....i hope that was the ****ing problem with the EML light...good luck!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
04yfz

My Ride: A car
If you've done an oil change recently make sure the Throttle Body sensor is plugged in near the oil filter housing.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
iopuiu

hello!

yes i changed the oil recently ...why should i change that thing ? is important do do it ? thx!