E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
djparallel

My Ride: e46 330xi
supercharging a steptronic 330xi

A search yields little about what I am about to ask:

What sort of hidden costs (anything additional to the actual cost of the supercharger) can I expect?
I'm looking at ESS's supercharger to add some power to my 330xi.

Either I supercharge it or fiddle with the exterior. I prefer performance, but if there are too many hidden costs, I will most likely be swayed (bar lol) towards a vorsteiner CF vented hood + m3 bumper + CF lip.

I want to make a decision by Monday so I can get on with my life!!!

Oh, I have ~65k miles and just finished Inspection II. Additionally, I have 19" m6 reps, smoked everything, K&N intake, magnaflow exhaust, eibach springs.

HELPPPP!
djparallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
jetskier88

My Ride: 330i ZHP S/C TS2+
Send a message via AIM to jetskier88
ahhh i would prefer to have a car that looked nice instead of just fast... the ESS s/c is amazing but to be honest i dont know if its really worth it for an auto transmission IMO
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
jetskier88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
djparallel

haha but the concept of a SLEEPER really resonates with me though
Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
djparallel

even at 6psi, was it really awesome? how would you describe the experience??
Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
jetskier88

ahh i dunno how much of a sleeper you can be.... with a stage II s/c you'll have trouble beating a IS350 lol... if you havent noticed they dont call the e46 auto tranny a slushbox for nothing... just invest into the exterior.. you'll be much more happy with the results
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
i am running an ASA blower now at about 6-6.5 psi on a steptronic and thus far no problems i got mine installed around 62k and i'm almostat 77k no problems i just be sure to keep up proper maint. 5k oil changes 15k tranny flushes 30k diff flushes etc. the problem with steptronics is the limits on them and at about 6-6.5 psi you are pushing the limits. i definitely do not regret mine as i am a total sleeper (i eat stock vert m3's for lunch ) the only issue would be modding down the road (headers and an exhaust would add too much power and push my tranny beyond its limits) but then again since your an XI model there might be more complications involved...i would say definitely discuss it with your local installer who has had experience installing s/c on XI models and he will probably give you more accurate advice.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
djparallel

hahaha nice nice nice.
do you drive it hard with the steptronic? with the supercharger, where do you find it best to switch gears?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
djparallel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier88 View Post
ahh i dunno how much of a sleeper you can be.... with a stage II s/c you'll have trouble beating a IS350 lol... if you havent noticed they dont call the e46 auto tranny a slushbox for nothing... just invest into the exterior.. you'll be much more happy with the results
stock is350? i would definitely beat one!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
AMG-ETR
///AMG ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Quote:
Originally Posted by djparallel View Post
stock is350? i would definitely beat one!
Dont count on it. Either do a manual swap or just forget it.

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #10
jetskier88

Quote:
Originally Posted by A55A55IN View Post
Dont count on it. Either do a manual swap or just forget it.
+1
finally someone with common sense

BMW Modding DONE
Old 09-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #11
Steve@ASPTuning
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
You can do an auto S/C 330... Nothing wrong with that. Because your differential is already made to cover for the power loss in auto's... so you shouldn't have problems. Its really personal preference and don't let people tell you what you SHOULD or SHOULD NOT do to your car.

Its your car, and you do whatever you want with it. In the end your the one that's paying the big bucks... not fellow fanatics.

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:18 AM   #12
Penn

My Ride: RS4
I've had AA C38 stage 1 kit on my car for over 40000 kms. I haven't had any real issues. I always let the car (oil) heat up before it push it hard. Most of the time i drive in the "sport mode". When driving hard, switch the gear up and with in a second let off the gas pedal so the revs can drop down to about 4000rpm. Also it is advised that if you push it, always put it into sport mode.
I do have had issues when i switch from 4th ( bit before redline ) to 5th. But that doesn't happen very often since i rarely accelerate hard to over 220 km/h and switch to 5th.

The dyno showed 284,2hp@6300rpm and 244,6(fl-lbs)@5450rpm
I can keep up with m3's

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...336&highlight=
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote