E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Thumbs Up HorsepowerFreaks Stage 3 Traction Control tested against Susuki SV650S on stock tires

The new HPF speed based boost control and traction control was tested this weekend against a Susuki SV650S. This isn't a super fast bike, but the runs were from a 2nd gear roll-on "notorously impossible" for a stage 3 turbo'd M3. Most importantly, it was tested on stock 255's which were near bald and 19" rims!!!

Here's the video...

HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
AMG-ETR
///AMG ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
very nice but a M6 takes a suzuki 650 in top speed...can you test this against..lets say a gsxr 1000?

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
azjimi

My Ride: '02 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
The new HPF speed based boost control and traction control was tested this weekend against a Susuki SV650S. This isn't a super fast bike....
lol....the SV650 is basically a girl's bike.

Not knockin' the traction control tho. I'm sure it will eventually prove to be "The Answer".
VF Stage 2 S/C, Om Scorza exhaust, Stett Performance headers, Custom Performance Rasp Eliminator and Race Cats, GTR hood, 19" SSR GT3's, Bridgestone RE-11's, PSS9 coilovers, Eibach Sways, Powerflex RTABS, Angel Eyes, Smoked Depos

azjimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
SPDu4ea

My Ride: .
Awesome. Can't wait to see it against some liter bikes after a new clutch/tires.

BTW -- Does the progressive boost change also with the different traction control settings?
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
ice330ci05

My Ride: 2005 330ci
Wow... Nice!
Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
///Moose

My Ride: V-Dub VR6
awesome guys!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
richvizz

My Ride: 04 M3 Cab
Dude your cars are killer fast man.. Limiting boost at certain rpms and gears will be key for you (as you know). Have run Motec and Haltech systems that ran different boost levels depending on gear, rpm and/or wheel speed, Motec being much better than Haltech at this imo... Those turbos are just insane, going s/c route myself, fortunatley dont think there are many hpf cars in my neck of the woods, yet....

04 M3 Silver Grey Convertable VF stg2 lots more
04 M3 Silver Grey Dinan Coupe SOLD
86 Porsche 930 440 RWHP Curse the day I sold it
89 Porsche 951 Race Car 406 RWHP
04 Chevy 2500HD Dmax
06 TN 28' Enclosed Trailer
Race Videos at RichVizz.Neptune.Com
SCCA PCA NASA SVRA HSR
richvizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 AM   #8
Tiago

My Ride: M3 e46
What a waste of time: 800rwhp car vs 69hp bike Even my dirt bike (KTM 530EXC) will smoke that suzuki from a 2nd gear roll.

Get new tires and clutch and go find a +150hp bike...

SV650 vs KX85

SV650 vs ZX-6r

SV650 vs liter bike

PS: i know that the video is to show how eficient HPF TC is. But IMHO, from that video, a M3 with half of the rwhp would be quicker at those speeds.

ESS VT2-550 / AEM WMI / Supersprint Race System / 3.91 Diff / Stoptech ST60 and ST40 / Bilstein PSS9 / UUC Sways
CLICK HERE FOR PICS OF MY CAR

Last edited by Tiago; 09-30-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
dubplaya

My Ride: a car
Send a message via AIM to dubplaya
traction control looks like a great system pretty sweet to include in your packages.

But not only is the SV a massively slow bike, tell your rider to stop having seizures while trying to shift! ankle and minor amount of wrist movement is all you need.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
AMG-ETR
///AMG ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplaya View Post
tell your rider to stop having seizures while trying to shift! ankle and minor amount of wrist movement is all you need.

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

The point of the video was not to show an M3 beating a much slower bike.

The point is to show that there was no tire-spin in 2nd gear through 4th with bald 255's in an 800rwhp car (very cool accomplishment IMO). Full power can't be applied until over 100mph because of the tiny tires, and for those that have tried this would understand why. Streetability even under the worst conditions in a super powerful car is our goal and this video demonstrates that.

The HPF widebody car will lay the hammer down on bikes because it has very wide sticky tires and full power can be applied almost immediately.

Chris.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #12
jtrejo

My Ride: e46 m3
any vids of your wideboday running anything yet?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
///M3-QTR

My Ride: IR M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrejo View Post
any vids of your wideboday running anything yet?
+1

Old 09-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
azjimi

My Ride: '02 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post

The HPF widebody car will lay the hammer down on bikes because it has very wide sticky tires and full power can be applied almost immediately.

Chris.
Looking forward to those vids!!!
VF Stage 2 S/C, Om Scorza exhaust, Stett Performance headers, Custom Performance Rasp Eliminator and Race Cats, GTR hood, 19" SSR GT3's, Bridgestone RE-11's, PSS9 coilovers, Eibach Sways, Powerflex RTABS, Angel Eyes, Smoked Depos

azjimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
bagher

My Ride: Marshmallow logic
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
bald tires work to the advantage of traction, you are speaking as if it is a bad thing.
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #16
SPDu4ea

My Ride: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
bald tires work to the advantage of traction, you are speaking as if it is a bad thing.
In theory, but usually not in practice. By the time street tires get bald, they've been heat cycled to hell and are considerably less pliant than when new.
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #17
LagunaBlau///M3

My Ride: HEMI powered AWD
Very nice.

I know you said the clutch was slipping on the second run but when you guys are looking through the rear window in the video it looks like its a trail of smoke behind it or is just me?

2010 SRT8 Challenger (mildly built motor)
2007 SRT8 Jeep Cherokee SRT8 SOLD!
2006 Subaru STI highly modified SOLD!
2003.5 E46 M3 (the smurf) SOLD!
LagunaBlau///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaBlau///M3 View Post
Very nice.

I know you said the clutch was slipping on the second run but when you guys are looking through the rear window in the video it looks like its a trail of smoke behind it or is just me?
There is a little smoke. #1, These engines are designed for extremely high horsepower and are set up a little on the loose side. #2, At high boost we're running very rich, #3 keep in mind traction control is also kicking in.

We test compression and leak-down on all stage 2.5 and 3 motors over and over again to ensure equal compression and less than 10% leak-down. The motor in this particular M3 has no cylinder to cylinder variations on compression and the leak-down is less than 5% on all cylinders.

We've tightened up the motors a little bit since the first couple and there is slightly less smoke under full throttle full load. Scott's has slightly tighter engine specs and I haven't seen his smoke. Although periodically even with some stage 1 & 2 cars you will see a little bit of smoke as the computer is running the car real rich and anytime the factory computer picks up a hint of knock it will inject extra fuel and pull out timing for protection.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 09-30-2008 at 05:11 PM.