E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

View Poll Results: Which ultimate driving machine would you use to street race
335d 18 40.00%
335i 27 60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #41
04yfz

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing.Ray View Post

He's probably thinking SMG is auto too
I know what SMG and DCT are, but who operates the clutch? The car, therefore it is an automatic in my eyes. Yes it's performance is better, and yes it's not a traditional automatic, but its just not the same as depressing the clutch and going through the gears yourself.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #42
Allure
Banned

My Ride: Is Slower Than Yours
Dct>*
Allure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #43
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Ok lotta miss information here..

First off, diesel is more expensive, just depending on location. Like in LA, diesel is about 90 cents more than premium. But in the inland empire, it's about 10 cents more. So it really depends on where you live is what i'm saying.

Second, the 335i has shittyy MPG in the city. On the highway, I can probably squeeze 28-30mpg, but the city is less than 17(and that's city/highway mixed).

So if diesel is cheap where you're at and you like diesel cars, get it. If not, get the 335i. Just again be warned that the 335i does not get good range in the city.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #44
cleankutazn

My Ride: Is at the bus stop
there are so many ballers in here gas ain't sheet for them, it's all about hp or torque
Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #45
Allure
Banned

My Ride: Is Slower Than Yours
If you really wanted to save gas, you would get one of the I4 Turbo's + Manual Transmission, I think BMW will start selling them next year here, there's no point in a 6 cylinder diesel.
Allure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #46
kush
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: gti
how much is the diesel going to be?
kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #47
DC83

My Ride: i walk--------
I read somewhere diesel usually gets better real world MPG...ie:jetta/golf diesel
Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #48
Transporter99

My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
There was a comparo done between the 335i and 335d recently. It was quite informative, considering the overall balance of performance/fuel consumption tipped the 335d's way, but only in a marginal way. Either way, i wasn't left believing the 335d was SO much more efficient than the 335i.

I think they'll be 2 different flavors for 2 different drivers. One of my clients, in his early 60's and has a 335i. He and his wife drive that thing like a golf-cart, lol. He's interesting in trading in for the 335d, since they drive slow and the more torque will benefit them.

Especially since NC is almost out of unleaded gas, haha.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #49
Walz

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing.Ray View Post
Alpina D3 = 2.0L TT (same engine as the 123d=323d)

:

I know, I wasn't comparing to the x35d.
The D3 biturbo is just an amazing car, even if it hasn't that much volume as the x35d.

Alpina FTW!

Walz is offline   Reply With Quote